Church and H.O.W. – Forums for HOW Sound and AV - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Church and HOW Forums > Church Sound

Small PA + Stream For Synagogue Chapel

(1/3) > >>

Herman Wolf:
Hey, fam.
Part-time listener, first-time caller.

I've been taking audio gigs at a local synagogue for the past year.
Last week they asked if I could help them put together a small PA / streaming solution for their chapel.
They paid through the nose for a ridiculously OP system (Digico/QSC/Bose) in the main sanctuary and have no intention of repeating that experience so they called me instead of their AV contractor.

I'm here to ask for help with gear selection.

The chapel is oblong in shape, ~50'L x ~25'W x ~20'H. Speakers will be mounted on the walls flanking the podium. Photos forthcoming.

They already have dedicated streaming hardware (Podium Mic > Panasonic UX series 4K camera > USB HDMI capture > ThinkPad (Intel Graphics)).

They want to add a small PA.
I'm envisioning something like this:

There are several points to consider when specifying equipment for this project.

1. Budget. They don't want to spend more than ~CAD$3000 on the new purchases.
2. Expertise. The individuals running the stream and PA are utter normies, untrained in audio. The system must be dead simple to operate; basically set-and-forget like the one in the main sanctuary.
3. Layout. We need to make the equipment as unobtrusive as possible. Hiding cables is not impossible but it will be a challenge given the nature of the room.

A dedicated DSP is probably overkill in this room, and they need some kind of level control for the PA, so I figured a small digital mixer would fit the bill. The Behringer Flow 8 has all the IO they need as well as corrective EQ on the outputs. For the record I'm not a fan of Behringer but I can't think of another mixer that is as small with as many features for even close to the same price.

I'm envisioning a pair of passive wall-mounted array-style column speakers.
Passive because one of the speaker positions doesn't have power nearby, whereas speaker wire can be dropped down the wall cavity from above without too much trouble (I think).

I don't know the installation market very well at all.
Is there a mixer (besides the Flow 8) or a DSP/control surface solution that is a) inexpensive and b)can be configured for simple operation?
What are some speaker / DSP / amp brands I ought to consider? The amp needs to be as small as possible.

Thanks for reading!

Dave Pluke:

--- Quote from: Herman Wolf on March 31, 2022, 12:45:28 PM ---I've been taking audio gigs at a local synagogue for the past year.
Last week they asked if I could help them put together a small PA / streaming solution for their chapel.

--- End quote ---

Am I correct in assuming the program material is primarily Spoken Word plus a Cantor?  If so, you may find the JBL CBT series of column speakers will fit the bill.

I installed a pair of CBT 100's in a Synagogue a couple of years ago and found them well behaved and needing no real EQ in that role. I mounted them up high, aimed down and the output was very even across the room. They were powered by a Crown XLS 2002 driven by a Soundcraft Ui24R "console".

I bought a Flow 8 to carry as a backup and for Break-out sessions. The bluetooth control app is a bit clumsy but, once set up, the simple up/down Faders should keep most users out of trouble.

Sounds like you're on the right track.

Dave

Herman Wolf:

--- Quote from: Dave Pluke on April 01, 2022, 03:35:44 PM ---Am I correct in assuming the program material is primarily Spoken Word plus a Cantor?
--- End quote ---

You are, indeed. Speaking and Canting; but only one at a time, and from the same position, so we can get away with a single gooseneck mic.
(That said, if we're going to be running cables through walls and floors I will definitely wire up more than just one!)

--- Quote from: Dave Pluke on April 01, 2022, 03:35:44 PM ---If so, you may find the JBL CBT series of column speakers will fit the bill.

--- End quote ---

I'll check them out as soon as I finish this reply.

--- Quote from: Dave Pluke on April 01, 2022, 03:35:44 PM ---I installed a pair of CBT 100's in a Synagogue a couple of years ago and found them well behaved and needing no real EQ in that role. I mounted them up high, aimed down and the output was very even across the room. They were powered by a Crown XLS 2002 driven by a Soundcraft Ui24R "console".

--- End quote ---

I'm a little more limited with regard to placement. I'm pretty sure they'll be firing over the heads of the folks in the first two rows.

--- Quote from: Dave Pluke on April 01, 2022, 03:35:44 PM ---I bought a Flow 8 to carry as a backup and for Break-out sessions. The bluetooth control app is a bit clumsy but, once set up, the simple up/down Faders should keep most users out of trouble.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, given its price, size, breadth of control option and simple fader layout it seems like the best option for this scenario. I'll hold my nose and add it to the project scope.

--- Quote from: Dave Pluke on April 01, 2022, 03:35:44 PM ---Sounds like you're on the right track.

Dave

--- End quote ---

Thanks, dood. 👍

Herman Wolf:
I'm considering running Cat6a (I have a spool left unused from a home renovation) instead of multipair audio snake from the podium to the back of the room.
The particular cable I have is pretty inflexible and hard to pull but it's 23AWG and every pair is individually foiled. It has an overall braided shield IIR.

It's also cost me only only about ten cents per foot which is like fifteen times less expensive than 4-pair Canare (which I just priced at CAD ~$6.50/meter).

I've never used Category cable for analog audio before but Dave Rat seems to think it works a treat.
I've been trawling other threads trying glean opinions on using Category cable for analog runs but have yet to arrive at a consensus.

Thoughts?

Mike Caldwell:
Maybe for the PA processor/mixer look at something like a DBX Zone Pro. That would do everything you need and once properly set up you could have one remote volume knob.
Simple software, easy to program.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version