ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rigging of JBL MPRO 225  (Read 7138 times)

Zach Brady

Rigging of JBL MPRO 225
« on: January 25, 2006, 10:02:54 AM »

I am Working on a youth room and im almost @ the point where i need to put the cabinets in place. I cant seem to find a place to place the cabinets, i have a rigger that can help me fly them or i could sit them somewhere. Here is a picture of the venue. its taken about half way back. I would REALLY appreciate it. thanks

Dave Mallon

Re: Rigging of JBL MPRO 225
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 11:40:07 AM »

Quote: JBL Website

JBL models that have no provision for suspension include JRX*, SoundFactor*, TR, EON1500, MR, MPro, SR, SR4700X*, SRX700*.
(Emphasis mine)

Outside of getting custom frames, these shouldn't be suspended (maybe JBL sell frames - if not then you're probably not going to get any that are up to spec).  Don't fly them.  If they fall they could damage a person fairly severely and you could go to jail.  I'm sure you're not too keen on that.  

I'm not too familiar with these speakers, but I'm sure others will have some ideas (some will say you should have enlisted a consultant and got speakers you could fly in the first place.  I will agree with them).

Bummer.

Dave M
Formally Scouse Dave.

Phil LaDue

• http://www.endicottarts.com/volunteers.htm
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 11:42:07 AM »

Hmmm...seems like it's time to sell those things, or have some huge custom shelves built in.
The Maglite is your friend!
RFL

Philip LaDue
E.P.A.C. Audio Engineer

Dave Mallon

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 11:53:55 AM »

Phil LaDue wrote on Wed, 25 January 2006 16:42

Why not use wall brackets?

How would one attach a safety?

The thing could fall off the wall and it's going to need a couple of tylenol if that thing were to bonk you on the noggin.

Dave M
Formally Scouse Dave.

Handy Brent

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 07:22:29 PM »

Those boxes are not engineered to be flown.  There is a reason.  They are built for lightweight travel and gigs.  I would not attempt it.

Just belly up to a JBL AE series install box.  They are very affordable.

Duane Massey

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 03:11:34 AM »

If you absolutely have to fly them, bolt two pieces of unistrut to the bottom and fly from the unistrut. Do not bolt thru the top, or use the handles, or bolt thru the sides, etc. It is also a good idea to reinforce the corners with steel angles (bolt thru, do not use wood screws or lags). Oh, yeah, use forged eyebolts (not cheap open-eye butter-bolts) and use galvanized cable, not chain, and...you get the point, hire someone who knows how to rig for overhead support.

It's always better to use the proper cabinets, but I gotta say it: some of the "rigged for flying" cabinets are pretty scary if you open them up and see what's actually in there.
Duane Massey
Core Systems, Inc
Houston, Texas, USA

Lee Buckalew

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 11:38:36 PM »

Sorry this is a little late in the post.  I just signed onto the board today.

DON'T HANG THOSE BOXES.  They are not rated to be flown and if they fall, no matter what the reason, you and the church and possibly the facility will lose in court.  It takes a certified structural engineer to sign off on the rigging systems used on suspended products.  Most speakers are certified to the German engineering standard as it is the highest standard in the world so international manufacturing only maintains one build for use anywhere in the world.
You can not even purchase rigging hardware to add to a cabinet that isn't designed for it and have it be certified, not even if the rigging pieces that you add are certified.  The whole system has to be certified.

It is not worth the potential legal problems nor the guilt of injuring someone if a choice you make injures or kills someone.

His,
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice

Duane Massey

Re: Rigging of JBL MPRO 225/JBL info
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 07:52:55 PM »

Duane Massey
Core Systems, Inc
Houston, Texas, USA

Rory Buszka

Re: Rigging of JBL MPRO 225/JBL info
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 11:56:07 AM »

JBL's prices are fairly gold-plated. Also take a look at Community's iBOX range. You could probably get away with an iHP1294  per side. Just something else to consider, if flying these is a necessity. If you need plenty of bass, just set an i112S on each side of the stage, and you should be set.
You always have more time than you have money.

Rory Buszka

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 02:09:05 PM »

Aside from all the correct comments that have been made about the actual rigging-Why are you wanting to use a 225?  I don't see anyway (from the photo given) that that speaker would even begin to cover the room properly-IF it could be flown or placed anywhere.

Your first consideration should be coverage and placement, before product number specifics.

With that low of a ceiling, you are probably going to have coverage issues-depending on how deep the room is.
Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 02:09:05 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 20 queries.