ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice / questions on FOH mixer and location  (Read 2527 times)

jonathan.lenk

Re: Advice / questions on FOH mixer and location
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2006, 05:50:30 PM »

Thanks for the advice.  I have one question.  Why not more than 2/3 of the way back?  Sorry if this is a naive question, but with the room size we are looking at (65'x70' approx), i don't really see the difference between 5 feet from the back and 20 feet from the back.  The reason i bring this up is that it would be really nice to have a slighly elevated (1-2 feet) mix position but that would never happen if there were 20 chairs behind it that would not be able to see the stage.  (the floor is not going to be sloped).

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2006, 05:53:05 PM »

Jonathan Lenk wrote on Tue, 31 January 2006 00:28

.  The initial idea was to have a "audio-visual" room with a window that would open into the main sanctuary.  

The problem with putting it on the floor, however, was that we want the room to be flexible (for example so all of the chairs can be cleared out for a banquet or something like that).

So here is the idea we are currently working with:  the "audio-visual" room will be on the second floor of the building and a door will lead out of this room onto a small balcony overlooking the main hall.  The FOH mixer will be on this balcony.

So, long story aside, I have 3 concerns.

1. Am I completely wrong about this?  Would it be reasonable to forget the balcony and mix through a window that overlooks the main hall?            
  2. Depending on which way the roof is going to slope, the balcony may farily close to the slope of the main ceiling (7-8 feet away) although the main ceiling will be cut out above it.  Is this a potential issue as far as sound quality at the FOH position?
  3. Is there a digital mixer in the DM1000/2000 price range where the guts of the mixer could be put in a back room and the control surface could be out in the main hall, eliminating the need for a permanent FOH mix position?  I have heard of using a tablet PC to control the yamaha mixers wirelessly through studio manager, but I would much prefer an actual control surface.

Here are some thoughts. DO NOT allow the"room to be something with a sliding window or something.  The same thought process goes for a FOH on a balcony in which there are no other people.  The sound person has to be able to hear the same thing as the people, or else how weill he he know exacly how loud and what the tonality it?  It is like operating a spotlight, but you cannot see, you just have to guess-NOT a good thing.

What I would suggest is a rollable FOH position that has a multipin on it for easy disconnect.  Just a AC cable and a multipin-assuming no video/lighting is in the booth.  Make them in a seperate case.

Since the room is to be a multipurpose space, I would suggest also installing a "simple" system with just a cd/tape player and an small 8 channel or less rack mount mixer that has a couple of dedicated stage inputs going to it.  It can be off the the side of the stage with a switch that selects which system is to be used, the small or the large system.  Put it in a closeable rack.

Regarding FOH control, there is more to a FOH position than just a console.  Consider how you are also going to be doing the following-CD/Tape/MD etc, intercom, wireless etc.

A portable rolling rack is your best bet-IMHO.  You can get them in a "roadcase" style or a better looking wooden furniture type cabinet.  Just make sure you have good casters put on.

Fight with everything you can to get the FOH guy in an area in which he can hear exactly what is going on!
Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2006, 05:53:05 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.