Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > DJ Forum

DJ speakers… what to buy … WHAT TO BUY.

(1/2) > >>

Ryan Chin:
Hello everyone, just looking for some info from the community on some DJ speakers for some of my rigs. A few years ago I helped a friend with a buy in and picked up 4prs of 12” Rockville powered tops and 6 15” powered subs. For the past few years i have been sending these out with my DJ’s for mobile rigs for small to mid size events. (150-250people), school dances and some outdoor events. The although they are no JBL or EV systems, they have performed well over the years. The sound is rather…… HARSH until you eq them down…. The highs are so sharp they’ll make your ears bleed if you’re not careful. :P  But like i said, they did their job and have not failed or blown up once with Reasonable use and running them hard. Like i said, i am pretty impressed by them being a budget set up.

At this time I am looking to “upgrade” the speaker fleet and get a few new rigs as i sell off the Rockville sets. I have been looking at some entry and mid level stuff again… budget in mind. Does anyone here have any input on how the ALTO TS312 tops are?  I would match them with the 15” subs.

Another question I have is since i have been running 12” tops with a 15”” sub/bin and i am looking to upgrade the fleet, should I migrate to 15” tops and pick up a few 18” subs/bins?

The brands i have been looking at are the ALTO TS series or Harbinger’s with Matching subs. I am leaning more towards the ALTO line since the subs have settings to match the tops and optimize sound.

Anyway, what do you all have to say, or recommend? Looking to stay around $250-$300 per top and around $500-$700 for the sub.

Any recommendations or info is appreciated!!

Jeff Lelko:

--- Quote from: djryan732 on March 28, 2022, 07:10:49 PM ---Any recommendations or info is appreciated!!

--- End quote ---

Hi djryan732, welcome to PSW.  Before anyone can offer advice you'll need to change your username to your actual full name per the forum rules you agreed to when signing up.

Doug Fowler:

--- Quote from: Jeff Lelko on March 28, 2022, 07:13:59 PM ---Hi djryan732, welcome to PSW.  Before anyone can offer advice you'll need to change your username to your actual full name per the forum rules you agreed to when signing up.

--- End quote ---

No, not user name. 

Change DISPLAY name. 

Please, let’s not give wrong information about how to fix this.

Brian Jojade:
The only reason to use 15" tops is if you don't have subs. The general consensus is a 12 and 18 combo is usually the ideal pairing with minimal overlap of coverage.

That being said $250/300 per top is what people are spending these days for portable Bluetooth speakers... , For professional use, upping your budget would put you into a MUCH higher class of speaker.  Spread over a few years, that's only a few bucks per show. 

Thomas Le:
Alto's are a lateral move, you're not getting better quality. Harbinger is worse. Start looking at JBL PRX, Yamaha DXR, QSC K, EV EKX, etc... 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version