ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Software,etc. help  (Read 2199 times)

John M. Roll

Software,etc. help
« on: March 25, 2022, 03:24:46 PM »

Hi all,
I purchased Entec DPro awhile ago and am soon going to incorporate it into the "light show". I was wondering what the consensus was about assigning playlists and cues to a midi controller, such as the AKAI APC Mini, or just use the laptop for control. The Mini has faders which I am hoping will allow me to do dimming as well. Thoughts?

John

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: Software,etc. help
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2022, 07:28:41 PM »

It honestly depends on how you plan to run your show.  For very basic playback a laptop may be acceptable, but otherwise if busking the show is something you expect to do you’ll want some sort of tactile control.  I have a standard fader wing for PC playback when not using my full console and would struggle to work without it.  Hope this helps!

John M. Roll

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2022, 11:13:22 AM »

It honestly depends on how you plan to run your show.  For very basic playback a laptop may be acceptable, but otherwise if busking the show is something you expect to do you’ll want some sort of tactile control.  I have a standard fader wing for PC playback when not using my full console and would struggle to work without it.  Hope this helps!

Jeff,
Thanks for the input. After talking to my light tech. He really likes the feel of the faders. Right now, we're using a Scenesetter 24. To expand, I was thinking a Scenesetter 48, unless there's something better out there. Suggestion? I'm not going wild with the lighting or anything, using Slimpar fixtures and a few other off brands. I'm going to add a Chauvet 4Play to the mix, and an Antari hazer, maybe a couple of moving heads, but that's it.

John

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2022, 11:32:22 AM »

I was working with a computer and freestyler for the movers and smart programed shows.  this is not adaptable easily to incorporate into the show.  I then had a second DMX cable with white lights to follow the leads, keeping the artists from being silhouettes.  Third dmx line and controller to control the atmospheres,  setting and adjusting the fog and haze.  I tend to also sacrifice my fan's to dimmer packs as well.  So the fan can be near the fog or haze and be controlled for speeds and effect.  Fourth DMX is for the strobes.  Old 8 inch 70 watt strobes on Chuavet 751 strobe control that allowed manual control for single shots to speed and music input.   Yes I am not using the 5000 to 10,000 lighting board.  but my bands are only doing low dollar shows and larger bands pay for the large companys that have a lighting director,  Sound company with FOH and monitor engineers.  So for the small bands and small venues I make do with two stagesetter 8, one computer, one dmx operator pro, and the strobe control.   

was looking into a better computer program DMX Control,  but this still needs to develope with creating lighting fixtures.  few are supported and the program to create fixtures needs to be completed.  Freestyler has a working create fixture that is good to work with.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2022, 07:29:22 AM »

Jeff,
Thanks for the input. After talking to my light tech. He really likes the feel of the faders. Right now, we're using a Scenesetter 24. To expand, I was thinking a Scenesetter 48, unless there's something better out there. Suggestion? I'm not going wild with the lighting or anything, using Slimpar fixtures and a few other off brands. I'm going to add a Chauvet 4Play to the mix, and an Antari hazer, maybe a couple of moving heads, but that's it.

John

So just for clarification, you have a SceneSetter 24 and bought D-Pro (the software)?  If so, D-Pro, or any real software for that matter will run circles around any sort of SceneSetter.  Those boards have been on the market for over 20 years and were really meant for back in the day when Pars and dimmers were the norm - not LEDs and moving lights.  Aside from random bench testing there really isn't a place for the old 24ch fader boards in modern lighting. 

D-Pro is decent software, and Enttec sells wings that work well with the program.  I know that third party wings are supported as well, so just read the documentation to be sure that any wing you buy will work with D-Pro.  Good luck!

John M. Roll

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2022, 11:51:03 AM »

So just for clarification, you have a SceneSetter 24 and bought D-Pro (the software)?  If so, D-Pro, or any real software for that matter will run circles around any sort of SceneSetter.  Those boards have been on the market for over 20 years and were really meant for back in the day when Pars and dimmers were the norm - not LEDs and moving lights.  Aside from random bench testing there really isn't a place for the old 24ch fader boards in modern lighting. 

D-Pro is decent software, and Enttec sells wings that work well with the program.  I know that third party wings are supported as well, so just read the documentation to be sure that any wing you buy will work with D-Pro.  Good luck!

Jeff,
Thanks for the input. I come from the old school PAR/Dimmer era. What do you mean by a wing?

John

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2022, 07:29:49 PM »

Jeff,
Thanks for the input. I come from the old school PAR/Dimmer era. What do you mean by a wing?

So first to re-ask my question, what did you buy?  Do you have a license of D-Pro or just a SceneSetter? 

Wings are typically USB and sometimes network remotes to allow for physical control of PC software.  You can sometimes accomplish the same task via MIDI or other control protocols, however wings are generally designed to work with a specific program - often emulating the look and feel of a larger physical light console in the same product family. 

If you have a copy of D-Pro I'd typically recommend tracking down an Enttec Wing since, again, they're meant to work together.  If not I'd look to something a little newer since Enttec seems to no longer offer wings.

John M. Roll

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2022, 07:35:37 PM »

So first to re-ask my question, what did you buy?  Do you have a license of D-Pro or just a SceneSetter? 

Wings are typically USB and sometimes network remotes to allow for physical control of PC software.  You can sometimes accomplish the same task via MIDI or other control protocols, however wings are generally designed to work with a specific program - often emulating the look and feel of a larger physical light console in the same product family. 

If you have a copy of D-Pro I'd typically recommend tracking down an Enttec Wing since, again, they're meant to work together.  If not I'd look to something a little newer since Enttec seems to no longer offer wings.

Jeff,
I have both. I want to move away from the Scenesetter. Sweetwater recommended this: https://obsidiancontrol.com/nx-touch. I'll have to contact Enttec to make sure it will work with DPro.

John

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2022, 08:24:27 AM »

Thanks John.  So to quote myself from further up, wings are generally designed to work with a specific program - often emulating the look and feel of a larger physical light console in the same product family.

That is the case with the NX Touch.  It is meant to work specifically with the Onyx platform.  Even if it's mechanically compatible with D-Pro, it'd likely be cumbersome and be missing critical keystrokes.  D-Pro is a little more friendly with third party controllers, but aside from the actual Enttec wings or maybe an X-Keys solution you'd still be venturing into DIY territory. 

The TL;DR is if you want to buy an NX Touch - use Onyx as your software.  If you want to stick with D-Pro - use an Enttec wing.  Beyond that you'll need to dabble with MIDI/OSC mapping and have a good understanding of what the various keystroke commands of each platform entail. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2022, 08:24:27 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 25 queries.