Site Rules, Bugs, Comments, Content and Forum Announcements > Bugs & Comments

Re: email issues

<< < (4/5) > >>

John Bosco:

--- Quote from: Ernie Black on March 23, 2022, 10:59:09 AM ---I'm sorry, what's the question?

--- End quote ---

Hey, how's it going, long time.

It looks like when you use the "email" feature (not private message) the "from" header is populated with the wrong email address, I'll try and send you one now.

EDIT - It looks like you don't allow direct email, if you send me one I'll send you a return so he can look at the header, obviously with this bug you'd need to include the correct email address for me to forward it to.

Ernie Black:

--- Quote from: John Bosco on March 23, 2022, 11:41:21 AM ---Hey, how's it going, long time.

It looks like when you use the "email" feature (not private message) the "from" header is populated with the wrong email address, I'll try and send you one now.

EDIT - It looks like you don't allow direct email, if you send me one I'll send you a return so he can look at the header, obviously with this bug you'd need to include the correct email address for me to forward it to.

--- End quote ---

Hi John, yes a very long time. I'm OK, hope you are too. Yes, I don't want to inundated with email from the forum which I have no connection to; all the forum topics are best handled by the moderators, not by me, unless it's maintenance and backend support that's required. You can send me an email to [email protected]

This raises a lot of questions which I've never noticed before. I just reset the forum email address to [email protected] since Guy is no longer at EH Pub. This is probably a temporary change, as I need to talk with Kevin, Keith, and whomever else about the best email to use, but for now it gets directed to my EHP email (as given above or as [email protected]).

Ernie Black:

--- Quote from: Ike Zimbel on March 23, 2022, 11:38:43 AM ---Here's an added twist: on my iPhone Mail, the test message that Chris Hindle sent me (privately) shows up as being from "tonymamoh...", but, in Outlook (which, incidentally, I really don't like, just been using it to try and keep this Win10 machine as "stock" as possible :-[), the message shows up as being from "[email protected]" on behalf of the address you list above. And, in Thunderbird (on my MBP), it shows up as just being from the "g****[email protected] address"
So, it shows up with different senders, and different variations of those senders in different mail programs. Again, this is just speculation, but it really looks to me like this function wants/needs to have an individual's e-mail address be part of the outgoing mail.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the added detail, Ike. I've reset the forum email address, temporarily at least, to [email protected], since g****[email protected] which was the forum email address  is no longer valid. This may be why the other email addresses were popping up, though it's odd to see the different addresses depending on the agent you were using. I'll look into further.

Sorry, I had no idea this was happening as it's never come to my attention before.

John Bosco:

--- Quote from: Ernie Black on March 23, 2022, 11:51:18 AM ---Hi John, yes a very long time. I'm OK, hope you are too. Yes, I don't want to inundated with email from the forum which I have no connection to; all the forum topics are best handled by the moderators, not by me, unless it's maintenance and backend support that's required. You can send me an email to [email protected]

This raises a lot of questions which I've never noticed before. I just reset the forum email address to [email protected] since Guy is no longer at EH Pub. This is probably a temporary change, as I need to talk with Kevin, Keith, and whomever else about the best email to use, but for now it gets directed to my EHP email (as given above or as [email protected]).

--- End quote ---

I'm well, thanks.

I guess it depends on how the function is suppose to work, if the "From" header suppose to be from the forum, or from the user that is sending the email. I think my email was populated with Guy's email address was just random, other users have stated other email addresses.

Me just sending you an email won't show you that, but if you send me an email using the forum feature then I can send it back to you and you can see the issue.

John Bosco:

--- Quote from: Ernie Black on March 23, 2022, 11:54:19 AM ---Thanks for the added detail, Ike. I've reset the forum email address, temporarily at least, to [email protected], since g****[email protected] which was the forum email address  is no longer valid. This may be why the other email addresses were popping up, though it's odd to see the different addresses depending on the agent you were using. I'll look into further.

Sorry, I had no idea this was happening as it's never come to my attention before.

--- End quote ---

I just sent another email to myself and this time the From header was the webmaster, so that's a fix. But I still think something might be wrong, the email form specifically states the recipient will see your (the site user) email address, but now it appears to be the webmaster, and this may work differently for other users.

Maybe this part of the current thread could be moved to a bug tracking thread?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version