ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Local routers interfering with 2.4g wireless dmx  (Read 4254 times)

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: Local routers interfering with 2.4g wireless dmx
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2022, 02:00:55 AM »

Who sends anything but FSK TC to pyro anymore? Fire cues and voltage comes out of dedicated boxes run off a laptop. wHile I haven't done a fireworks show since Covid started, the FSK went to the fire positions via walkie talkies. I would assume in a land based show the signal would go to the computer directly on an XLR cable just like it came to the transmitters I was using. Before FSK called fire cues went to an operator at a switch panel. I did my first big show that way in 1976, and my last with FSK via walkie talkie in 2019.

Oh absolutely, there's no question that broadcasted FSK is the way to go when needing to reliably cover significant distances outdoors.  It's just not always practical to put a receiver and control module at every position where product is going - especially for the more "architectural" jobs - so I'll usually do one or two per building and run copper from there.  I'll generally do the same thing with DMX on lighting jobs.  As I'm sure you know when crowds top 100,000 spectators anything wireless can get tricky and some sort of fail-over is a must.  Luckily with FSK I only need to get a few strong frames through and the boxes can carry on with their internal clocks if things get choppy and frames start dropping. 

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2022, 02:17:49 AM »

As the audio guy my pyro time code transmission is always over copper.  Always.  I've done 2 shoots where the pyro company did an RF link to the mortar field, sending actual fire cues, not time code to the PyroDigital.  Not my part of the gig but I was plenty worried anyway.

I definitely hear you on that one.  I've done both FSK per my response to Mac above along with actual live cuing when needing to sync with talent on stage.  In all cases there's a tech with a deadman at every receiver, but regardless I'm always most comfortable with 100% copper when possible.  Thankfully none of my own to share, but I've heard plenty of horror stories with wireless gone wrong leading to accidental discharge.  Having a glitching wireless moving head in a bar is one thing...losing control of a barge full of pyro is a whole next level of chaos to contend with!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2022, 02:17:49 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.