Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Lighting Forum

Local routers interfering with 2.4g wireless dmx

(1/5) > >>

Scott Olewiler:
I have been using wireless DMX for years with no issues until about a year ago. Lately I have been getting interference in rooms where there are multiple wireless routers/APs in range. The result is sudden light changes or flashes during my programmed chases. Every time this happens I scan for wifi and there are usually 10 or more wifi transmitters operating in range.

Rooms that have given issies give me issues every time I'm there.

Last week, in a new room. I actually  had to disconnect my DMX transmitter and just let whatever external signal was controlling my lights just control them since they were doing acceptable fades that worked well enough to not go to the trouble of running hardwired dmx.  Our light "show" only consists of automated fades between scenes to begin with. Nothing timed or elaborate.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so did you find a solution? I was hoping to find affordable transmitters and receivers that do not operate using 2.4g, but so far I have not been able to find anything. 

Steve-White:

--- Quote from: Scott Olewiler on March 22, 2022, 09:05:21 AM ---I have been using wireless DMX for years with no issues until about a year ago. Lately I have been getting interference in rooms where there are multiple wireless routers/APs in range. The result is sudden light changes or flashes during my programmed chases. Every time this happens I scan for wifi and there are usually 10 or more wifi transmitters operating in range.

Rooms that have given issies give me issues every time I'm there.

Last week, in a new room. I actually  had to disconnect my DMX transmitter and just let whatever external signal was controlling my lights just control them since they were doing acceptable fades that worked well enough to not go to the trouble of running hardwired dmx.  Our light "show" only consists of automated fades between scenes to begin with. Nothing timed or elaborate.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so did you find a solution? I was hoping to find affordable transmitters and receivers that do not operate using 2.4g, but so far I have not been able to find anything.

--- End quote ---

"I actually  had to disconnect my DMX transmitter and just let whatever external signal was controlling my lights just control them since they were doing acceptable fades that worked well enough to not go to the trouble of running hardwired"

Huh?

Scott Olewiler:

--- Quote from: Steve-White on March 22, 2022, 09:41:50 AM ---"I actually  had to disconnect my DMX transmitter and just let whatever external signal was controlling my lights just control them since they were doing acceptable fades that worked well enough to not go to the trouble of running hardwired"

Huh?

--- End quote ---
Lights were changing on their own without me transmitting any signal.   With my transmitter on I got radical changes and flashes as if receivers were getting conflicting signals, but just casual fades with my transmitter turned off. So I left mine turned off.

It's not random equipment failure, but definitively room specific. I can only surmise an external 2.4g signal is being received by DMX receivers because it only happens in certain rooms and never happens in rooms where it doesn't happen. If it ahppens in a new room it happens in that room every time I go back.

Brian Jojade:
Is it possible that a DMX transmitter from some other controller is nearby?

It seems extremely unlikely that a WIFI signal is going to give you anything but random noise, not something that 'gives nice fades' to your DMX signal.

Erik Jerde:
If lights are changing smoothly on their own there’s either another control signal running or they’re in an automatic mode.  The idea that random Wi-Fi interference would cause that is really far fetched.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version