ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Local routers interfering with 2.4g wireless dmx  (Read 4261 times)

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
Local routers interfering with 2.4g wireless dmx
« on: March 22, 2022, 09:05:21 AM »

I have been using wireless DMX for years with no issues until about a year ago. Lately I have been getting interference in rooms where there are multiple wireless routers/APs in range. The result is sudden light changes or flashes during my programmed chases. Every time this happens I scan for wifi and there are usually 10 or more wifi transmitters operating in range.

Rooms that have given issies give me issues every time I'm there.

Last week, in a new room. I actually  had to disconnect my DMX transmitter and just let whatever external signal was controlling my lights just control them since they were doing acceptable fades that worked well enough to not go to the trouble of running hardwired dmx.  Our light "show" only consists of automated fades between scenes to begin with. Nothing timed or elaborate.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so did you find a solution? I was hoping to find affordable transmitters and receivers that do not operate using 2.4g, but so far I have not been able to find anything. 

We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
Re: Local routers interfering with 2.4g wireless dmx
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 09:41:50 AM »

I have been using wireless DMX for years with no issues until about a year ago. Lately I have been getting interference in rooms where there are multiple wireless routers/APs in range. The result is sudden light changes or flashes during my programmed chases. Every time this happens I scan for wifi and there are usually 10 or more wifi transmitters operating in range.

Rooms that have given issies give me issues every time I'm there.

Last week, in a new room. I actually  had to disconnect my DMX transmitter and just let whatever external signal was controlling my lights just control them since they were doing acceptable fades that worked well enough to not go to the trouble of running hardwired dmx.  Our light "show" only consists of automated fades between scenes to begin with. Nothing timed or elaborate.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so did you find a solution? I was hoping to find affordable transmitters and receivers that do not operate using 2.4g, but so far I have not been able to find anything.

"I actually  had to disconnect my DMX transmitter and just let whatever external signal was controlling my lights just control them since they were doing acceptable fades that worked well enough to not go to the trouble of running hardwired"

Huh?

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 10:26:30 AM »

"I actually  had to disconnect my DMX transmitter and just let whatever external signal was controlling my lights just control them since they were doing acceptable fades that worked well enough to not go to the trouble of running hardwired"

Huh?
Lights were changing on their own without me transmitting any signal.   With my transmitter on I got radical changes and flashes as if receivers were getting conflicting signals, but just casual fades with my transmitter turned off. So I left mine turned off.

It's not random equipment failure, but definitively room specific. I can only surmise an external 2.4g signal is being received by DMX receivers because it only happens in certain rooms and never happens in rooms where it doesn't happen. If it ahppens in a new room it happens in that room every time I go back.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 11:12:39 AM »

Is it possible that a DMX transmitter from some other controller is nearby?

It seems extremely unlikely that a WIFI signal is going to give you anything but random noise, not something that 'gives nice fades' to your DMX signal.
Brian Jojade

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2022, 08:19:47 PM »

If lights are changing smoothly on their own there’s either another control signal running or they’re in an automatic mode.  The idea that random Wi-Fi interference would cause that is really far fetched.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2022, 08:20:07 PM »

Can you change channels?
The WiFi Analyser app can tell you which channels are open.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2022, 08:48:20 PM »

Make sure that all your lights are set as Slaves. If one is set as a Master it will transmit signal that conflicts with your dmx controller.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2022, 03:55:01 AM »

Make sure that all your lights are set as Slaves. If one is set as a Master it will transmit signal that conflicts with your dmx controller.

Don't the inexpensive DMX radios even if they say TX they are really transceivers and if a fixture is in master it will start sending DMX and make the RX switch to TX mode?

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2022, 10:02:21 AM »

Don't the inexpensive DMX radios even if they say TX they are really transceivers and if a fixture is in master it will start sending DMX and make the RX switch to TX mode?

Yes so all fixtures must be set to slave to maintain control. I also agree with others that the only explaination for this behaviour is that there is another wireless DMX system running somewhere nearby, wifi interference does not produce logical control patterns just random glitches.
Is this a multi room events venue perhaps? If so you just need to select a different control channel, I have run multiple control streams on different wireless channels in the same room and it works well.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2022, 06:01:36 PM »

While this is definitely true, the problem with this theory is that the OP says the problem happens with the same rig, but only in specific rooms.  It's possible that during the setup a light is inadvertently being set as a master light, but the odds of that repeatably happening and only in specific rooms is pretty small.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2022, 06:01:36 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.