ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Crossover replacement part Deux  (Read 3142 times)

Paul G. OBrien

Re: Crossover replacement part Deux
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2022, 09:34:00 PM »

So by what you're saying the cap isn't measurable it will just show open? Maybe just replace it? Digikey?

I get a dead short on the coil but how would that show on my multimeter? Open and zero resistance?

A dead short on a multimeter equals zero resistance... same as when you touch the two leads to one another.
An open circuit is what is displayed when the leads aren't touching anything.

I looked at your pixtures again and I believe both resistors are in the circuit for the tweeter, this makes sense as it usually needs attenuation to match levels with the woofer so you need to test both. These are the most likely cause of your problem although it could be the capacitor as well. If the resistors test good try swapping in the capacitor from the other crossover. If that is the problem they are available from many online places so won't be hard to find.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2022, 09:39:19 PM »

The coils (Chokes) on the crossover will show "0" resistance when measured with a standard hand held DVM.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 09:34:23 AM by Steve-White »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2022, 11:36:04 PM »

The coils (Chokes) on the crossover will show "0" resistance in a standard hand held DVM.

Please note the electrons may be a bit busy after all those trips around the phase wheel.  Eli The Iceman, still my favorite pneumonic. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2022, 12:51:50 AM »

Thanks all. I've already reflowed the solder joints so I don't think that was it.

So I'll start with the small resister then move on to the other HF components. Quick questions...

So by what you're saying the cap isn't measurable it will just show open? Maybe just replace it? Digikey?

I get a dead short on the coil but how would that show on my multimeter? Open and zero resistance?

Thanks again! If I can't find the issue with these quick tests I'll take it to a electronics guy. Anyone know a good place in Atlanta?

J

You can't measure a capacitor with a standard multimeter. There are some meters that can measure capacitors to see that they are working at the right values.

Since you're dealing with just a few components here, it's easy enough to swap them between the working unit and the non working unit.  If you can't isolate to a component, then it's possible that a trace has cracked on the bad unit.

The coil when read with a multimeter will read as a dead short, close to 0 ohms resistance.  If it reads open, it's bad.  It's very unlikely that the coil has gone bad.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2022, 12:51:50 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.