Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > HistoryOfConcertSound.org

Showco Prism

(1/4) > >>

Doug Fowler:

https://www.paoftheday.com/showco-prism-sound-system/

brian maddox:

--- Quote from: Doug Fowler on March 12, 2022, 07:05:14 PM ---https://www.paoftheday.com/showco-prism-sound-system/

--- End quote ---

This is really interesting. I had no reason to ever know any different [never worked with them] but I always assumed that the prism was just a huge pile of full range boxes. Learn something new every day.

Steve-White:
Great stuff.  I can remember going to many shows that used those beasts and they sounded pretty good.  Anybody know what they were running for amps & crossovers at that time period?

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: brian maddox on March 12, 2022, 07:27:31 PM ---This is really interesting. I had no reason to ever know any different [never worked with them] but I always assumed that the prism was just a huge pile of full range boxes. Learn something new every day.

--- End quote ---

It was the down fill that kind of gave away "there's no horn in the bottom box" at low trims, but the rest were mysterious.  The mid bass box was a puzzle to me, never figured that one out.  The HF at the top was application-obvious, but the way the HF was done elsewhere was rather clever for its day and was also beyond my ability to suss it out.  The only clue I ever got from a ShowCo crew person was "they have to go in this order, and there have to be at least 4 rows."  That was the hint that each box was unique but that's as far as I got at the time.

Time delay, even really short amounts, was expensive and relatively noisy.  Physical time delay via Baltic Birch was baked in.

Have I said lately that it's a great time to be in audio?

Mike Caldwell:

--- Quote from: Steve-White on March 13, 2022, 12:17:15 AM ---Great stuff.  I can remember going to many shows that used those beasts and they sounded pretty good.  Anybody know what they were running for amps & crossovers at that time period?

--- End quote ---

The original crossovers and drive were custom built analog and in a plug in card format with a main frame, kind of like the DBX 500 series, maybe they used a 500 series frame!
Had a chance to buy one once for cheap, looking back I should have and put it up on the audio nostalgia shelf.

Last time I heard a Prism show was 20ish years ago at a Robert Plant  WHO concert, it sounded great for both acts, by then it was processed with the original LAKE processors. Powered by lots of Crown Macro Tech's.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version