ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Showco Prism  (Read 8885 times)

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Showco Prism
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2022, 07:27:31 PM »

https://www.paoftheday.com/showco-prism-sound-system/

This is really interesting. I had no reason to ever know any different [never worked with them] but I always assumed that the prism was just a huge pile of full range boxes. Learn something new every day.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2022, 12:17:15 AM »

Great stuff.  I can remember going to many shows that used those beasts and they sounded pretty good.  Anybody know what they were running for amps & crossovers at that time period?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2022, 12:34:55 AM »

This is really interesting. I had no reason to ever know any different [never worked with them] but I always assumed that the prism was just a huge pile of full range boxes. Learn something new every day.

It was the down fill that kind of gave away "there's no horn in the bottom box" at low trims, but the rest were mysterious.  The mid bass box was a puzzle to me, never figured that one out.  The HF at the top was application-obvious, but the way the HF was done elsewhere was rather clever for its day and was also beyond my ability to suss it out.  The only clue I ever got from a ShowCo crew person was "they have to go in this order, and there have to be at least 4 rows."  That was the hint that each box was unique but that's as far as I got at the time.

Time delay, even really short amounts, was expensive and relatively noisy.  Physical time delay via Baltic Birch was baked in.

Have I said lately that it's a great time to be in audio?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2022, 11:58:56 AM »

Great stuff.  I can remember going to many shows that used those beasts and they sounded pretty good.  Anybody know what they were running for amps & crossovers at that time period?

The original crossovers and drive were custom built analog and in a plug in card format with a main frame, kind of like the DBX 500 series, maybe they used a 500 series frame!
Had a chance to buy one once for cheap, looking back I should have and put it up on the audio nostalgia shelf.

Last time I heard a Prism show was 20ish years ago at a Robert Plant  WHO concert, it sounded great for both acts, by then it was processed with the original LAKE processors. Powered by lots of Crown Macro Tech's.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 12:18:38 PM by Mike Caldwell »

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2022, 12:13:28 PM »

The original crossovers and drive were custom built analog and in a plug in card format with a main frame, kind of like the DBX 500 series, maybe they used a 500 series frame!
Had a chance to buy one once for cheap, looking back I should have and put it up on the audio nostalgia shelf.

Last time I heard a Prism show was 20ish years ago at a Robert Plant  WHO concert, it sounded for both acts, by then it was processed with the original LAKE processors. Powered by lots of Crown Macro Tech's.

I heard it at Busch Stadium in 1989 for The Who and I was shocked at how good it was.  I wasn’t in the business at the time.  The bass solos on My Generation were so present and so clear, the whole thing was just stunning. 

Side note: I was in their unassuming Dallas shop and was shown a dbx compressor with the comment “that right there will drive every amp rack we own”. 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 12:16:42 PM by Doug Fowler »
It's got electrolytes. 

Doug Fowler

• Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2022, 02:58:17 PM »

It's got electrolytes. 

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2022, 03:09:10 PM »

And what are these “magruder screws” referred to?

A screw with a head that needed a special bit to take out.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2022, 03:22:37 PM »

A screw with a head that needed a special bit to take out.
If you have to make the drive bit yourself, it becomes a McGuyver screw...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2022, 04:41:41 PM »

And what are these “magruder screws” referred to?
Pre-curser to Security Torx?
I hate those fuckin things.....
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2022, 04:41:41 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 23 queries.