ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Biamp 1642 Question - Could use some help Please  (Read 1913 times)

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Choices forever
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2022, 04:41:26 PM »

I'm not sure that we have more choices today.  Yeah, lots of better stuff, but only a few manufacturers around now.

Back in the day, you HAD to make choices and tradeoffs to get what you wanted.  Now you pick a brand and they pretty much all do the same thing....
Brian,

There are so many more choices today than back in the Biamp 1642 era that it is hard to even count them.  Yes, some of the brands share the same manufacturers, but there are a lot more than a few around in 2022:
Allen & Heath
Alto
Ashley Audio
Avid
Behringer
Biamp
Blastking
Cadac
Dynacord
Eapmic
Digico
Dnysysj
Dyrabrest
Fineshine
G-mark
Lawo
Mackie
Midas
Miktek
Neewer
Peavey
Phenyx pro
Pyle
Presonus
QSC
RCF
Rupert Neve
Rode
Studiomaster
Soundcraft
SSL
Studer
Steven Slate Audio
Tascam
TC-Helicon
Titanium Audio
Trident
Tfcfl
Yamaha
Zoom

There are probably dozens more brands with hundreds of more choices...

Art

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
Re: Biamp 1642 Question - Could use some help Please
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2022, 05:13:12 PM »

New member today 3/3/22. Please help. I just got a Biamp 1642 sound board...Yes, I know it is ancient but there is a looooooong story behind the purchase. The reason I am posting here is perhaps you fine people could help me out. Board is in excellent shape externally; looks like new... with no missing knobs! Everything seems to work fine so far, but, the 2 headphone red clipping LEDs are on solid even with the headphone level pot at zero. Anybody have any suggestions? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so very much in advance.

If it's in decent shape, it's a keeper.  Faders good, and the meters and IO jacks.  I'd definitely find a good service tech and put it into service.  Those are great sounding consoles, good headroom.  I cut my teeth mixing live bands in clubs on a Biamp 2442.

That's a better sounding console than much of the mid grade digital stuff out there today.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
Re: Choices forever
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2022, 05:46:57 PM »

Don't forget Ross, where a dirty fader (no matter the position) would go Wide Fucken Open......
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2022, 06:02:04 PM »

Don't forget Ross, where a dirty fader (no matter the position) would go Wide Fucken Open......
Chris.
The old Tapcos would do the same thing, or if a solder connection got cracked.

The level control was in the feedback loop of the opamp.

So if it went open, the op amp went into "open loop gain".  In other words TONS AND TONS OF gain and instant feedback
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tomas Alori

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2022, 10:57:03 PM »

Good to see more people talking about the Biamp 1642 board. I got one earlier this year for $100 (without PSU, built one myself) and I am currently using it in an all-analog setup with a Fostex R8 8-Track reel to reel. I've used DAWs all my life and I find they remove a big part of the joy of recording. It's good to have limitations (no 200 plugin library lol).

The old Tapcos would do the same thing, or if a solder connection got cracked.

The level control was in the feedback loop of the opamp.

So if it went open, the op amp went into "open loop gain".  In other words TONS AND TONS OF gain and instant feedback

The 2 master faders of my console are almost dead and I need to replace them. However they are 500K Alps faders that are very hard to come by.
Just as you say Ivan, the faders are part of the opamp gain circuit (unlike the channel 5K faders). I wonder if I can replace the 500K fader with a 10K fader and swap the other resistor in the opamp gain circuit to keep gain the same. Is there any drawbacks to reducing the resistance of both resistors (while keeping the ratio the same)?  I am not too savyy when it comes to analog electronics. 

I also plan on doing other mods, like adding inserts to the SUB channels and making all sends post EQ.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 10:59:17 PM by milkolik »

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2022, 05:50:14 AM »

Read the rules, fix your display name.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Good to see more people talking about the Biamp 1642 board. I got one earlier this year for $100 (without PSU, built one myself) and I am currently using it in an all-analog setup with a Fostex R8 8-Track reel to reel. I've used DAWs all my life and I find they remove a big part of the joy of recording. It's good to have limitations (no 200 plugin library lol).

The 2 master faders of my console are almost dead and I need to replace them. However they are 500K Alps faders that are very hard to come by.
Just as you say Ivan, the faders are part of the opamp gain circuit (unlike the channel 5K faders). I wonder if I can replace the 500K fader with a 10K fader and swap the other resistor in the opamp gain circuit to keep gain the same. Is there any drawbacks to reducing the resistance of both resistors (while keeping the ratio the same)?  I am not too savyy when it comes to analog electronics. 

I also plan on doing other mods, like adding inserts to the SUB channels and making all sends post EQ.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2022, 12:48:46 PM »

If it's in decent shape, it's a keeper.  Faders good, and the meters and IO jacks.  I'd definitely find a good service tech and put it into service.  Those are great sounding consoles, good headroom.  I cut my teeth mixing live bands in clubs on a Biamp 2442.

That's a better sounding console than much of the mid grade digital stuff out there today.
Sad that back in '11 I left 6 of them leaning next to my dumpster because I couldn't find anyone who wanted such stuff.
They were all very well used and had been toured
They did disappear before the garbage truck came so I guess a scrapper took them
1 32ch, 2 24ch and 3 16's.

-Still have an external supply for the 32 if anyone needs one.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2022, 12:48:46 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.