ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Hazers and fire alarms...  (Read 2989 times)

Suede Pierce

Hazers and fire alarms...
« on: February 28, 2022, 11:12:16 PM »

There are probably no hazer for this but dose anyone know of a hazer or haze fluid that won't set off fire alarms?

Will Knight

• Queens, NY
Re: Hazers and fire alarms...
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2022, 04:19:59 AM »

The short answer is NO. Fire Alarms are designed to detect tiny particles in the air and once they reach a certain count (parts per million), the sensors trigger the alarms to go off. Hazers emit tiny particles of water (or oil) into the air and the gradual accumulation is what will set off the alarms. Big venues, theaters etc. are able to keep this from happening by having a Fire Dept rep on site who's responsible for temporarily disarming the system specifically for the duration of the show. Note that covering alarms with tape, cups, plastic sheeting etc. is illegal and subject to severe penalities. Your only options are to REDUCE the amount - and the duration - of haze that comes from the hazer, have it point away from where the alarms are located - or simply not use the unit. Many venues today of course, won't even allow the use of hazer machines due to a risk of getting hit with fines for false fire alarm triggers. 
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value — Albert Einstein.

Noah D Mitchell

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2022, 07:49:18 AM »

The short answer is NO. Fire Alarms are designed to detect tiny particles in the air and once they reach a certain count (parts per million), the sensors trigger the alarms to go off. Hazers emit tiny particles of water (or oil) into the air and the gradual accumulation is what will set off the alarms. Big venues, theaters etc. are able to keep this from happening by having a Fire Dept rep on site who's responsible for temporarily disarming the system specifically for the duration of the show. Note that covering alarms with tape, cups, plastic sheeting etc. is illegal and subject to severe penalities. Your only options are to REDUCE the amount - and the duration - of haze that comes from the hazer, have it point away from where the alarms are located - or simply not use the unit. Many venues today of course, won't even allow the use of hazer machines due to a risk of getting hit with fines for false fire alarm triggers.

However, there are fire/smoke sensors that are much less likely to be triggered by theatrical smoke and haze. They use multiple criteria to come to a better conclusion. In a venue we remodeled back in 2014, the alarm company installed sensors that detected: Particles, temperature, carbon monoxide and flame signature (if I remember correctly). The only time our haze set it off was when we had a faulty sensor - which was simply replaced.

Here is a link - this isn't the exact unit we installed, but similar:

https://www.systemsensor.com/en-us/Documents/2251-COPTIR_DataSheet_SPDS763.pdf

Suede Pierce

Hazers and fire alarms...
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2022, 03:29:00 PM »

I was just wondering if anyone knows of a hazer or haze fluid that won't set off fire alarms?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2022, 03:32:51 PM »

I was just wondering if anyone knows of a hazer or haze fluid that won't set off fire alarms?

I don't know that there is a commercial product that guarantees not to set off alarms. I see bands use them everywhere all the time locally and what seems to work is keeping the haze very thin and sparse. Not saying this is a good idea and certainly not endorsing it but that seems to be what is going on....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2022, 11:50:22 PM »

No, because it's not dependent on the type of fluid, it's dependent on the type of sensors. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2022, 03:53:46 AM »

Did you read the detailed answer that three people took the time to write for you?

It's one thing to ask a question easily answered with an Internet search it's another to ignore a complete and accurate response(s) because they are TLDR.

BYW I am the welcome again, welcome to a community of Professionals. 

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2022, 07:14:15 AM »

^^^ "Welcome Wagon" :)

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2022, 12:46:17 PM »

^^^ "Welcome Wagon" :)
Well, Welcome Wagging (his finger).
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2022, 06:01:04 PM »

Such a thing simply does not exist. 

Now, if the question is, how can you get a haze effect and be less likely to set off smoke alarms, that can be a discussion.  But the simple fact is, smoke alarms are detecting smoke and haze. If you make smoke/haze, that detector is going to sense it. Once it hits a certain threshold, it's going to go off.

With some sensors, even dense FOG (ie, real, natural fog, which is just water droplets) is enough to trip them off.

So, the answer is, anything that creates a fog or a haze has the potential to set off alarms.

Hazers used sparingly and kept away from the sensors may be able to achieve enough of an effect whereas you can use them and not set off many sensors, but all it may take is a slight change in airflow to push you over the limit and set them off.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2022, 06:01:04 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.