Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Lighting Forum

Hazers and fire alarms...

(1/4) > >>

Suede Pierce:
There are probably no hazer for this but dose anyone know of a hazer or haze fluid that won't set off fire alarms?

Will Knight:
The short answer is NO. Fire Alarms are designed to detect tiny particles in the air and once they reach a certain count (parts per million), the sensors trigger the alarms to go off. Hazers emit tiny particles of water (or oil) into the air and the gradual accumulation is what will set off the alarms. Big venues, theaters etc. are able to keep this from happening by having a Fire Dept rep on site who's responsible for temporarily disarming the system specifically for the duration of the show. Note that covering alarms with tape, cups, plastic sheeting etc. is illegal and subject to severe penalities. Your only options are to REDUCE the amount - and the duration - of haze that comes from the hazer, have it point away from where the alarms are located - or simply not use the unit. Many venues today of course, won't even allow the use of hazer machines due to a risk of getting hit with fines for false fire alarm triggers. 

John Hiemburg:

--- Quote from: Will Knight on March 01, 2022, 04:19:59 AM ---The short answer is NO. Fire Alarms are designed to detect tiny particles in the air and once they reach a certain count (parts per million), the sensors trigger the alarms to go off. Hazers emit tiny particles of water (or oil) into the air and the gradual accumulation is what will set off the alarms. Big venues, theaters etc. are able to keep this from happening by having a Fire Dept rep on site who's responsible for temporarily disarming the system specifically for the duration of the show. Note that covering alarms with tape, cups, plastic sheeting etc. is illegal and subject to severe penalities. Your only options are to REDUCE the amount - and the duration - of haze that comes from the hazer, have it point away from where the alarms are located - or simply not use the unit. Many venues today of course, won't even allow the use of hazer machines due to a risk of getting hit with fines for false fire alarm triggers.

--- End quote ---

However, there are fire/smoke sensors that are much less likely to be triggered by theatrical smoke and haze. They use multiple criteria to come to a better conclusion. In a venue we remodeled back in 2014, the alarm company installed sensors that detected: Particles, temperature, carbon monoxide and flame signature (if I remember correctly). The only time our haze set it off was when we had a faulty sensor - which was simply replaced.

Here is a link - this isn't the exact unit we installed, but similar:

https://www.systemsensor.com/en-us/Documents/2251-COPTIR_DataSheet_SPDS763.pdf

Suede Pierce:
I was just wondering if anyone knows of a hazer or haze fluid that won't set off fire alarms?

Debbie Dunkley:

--- Quote from: Suede Pierce on March 01, 2022, 03:29:00 PM ---I was just wondering if anyone knows of a hazer or haze fluid that won't set off fire alarms?

--- End quote ---

I don't know that there is a commercial product that guarantees not to set off alarms. I see bands use them everywhere all the time locally and what seems to work is keeping the haze very thin and sparse. Not saying this is a good idea and certainly not endorsing it but that seems to be what is going on....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version