Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Installed Sound/Contracting

Label maker

(1/5) > >>

John Lackner:
I'm currently in search of a good label maker. Lots of choices out there - Brother, Dymo, Epson, Brady.  I'm wondering - do the big buck label makers have any important advantages over the basic ones - besides rechargeable batteries? I plan on using it to label cables in a rack and panels, devices, etc. Are there any preferred favorites?

Brian Jojade:
My current primary is the Dymo Rhino 5200.

I really like how it can make cable labels that wrap around the wire as well as make labels for patch panels, etc, where you define the width of each block, then create one big honking label.

I don't like how big it is, or the fact that it uses an alphabetical keyboard instead of a QWERTY keyboard.

I've also got a few other label makers, from el cheapo to moderately priced.  For basic labels, they're all adequate.

In reality, something that I could connect to the computer or phone via bluettoth would make things easier vs the dedicated label machine. However, I haven't had the opportunity to play with any of those yet.

John Schalk:
I have a DYMO LetraTag 100H.  It's positive features are portability and the fact that I can get label cartridges for it at Target.  Cons are the non-qwerty keyboard and having to switch between letters and numbers while typing in the label.  It's print quality is just fair; if you use the dual line mode the characters looks squished.  But, it has been rock solid for my low volume label printing needs and I would probably go with something similar, in size at least, if I need to buy a replacement down the road.

Edit to add:
After I've peeled off the backing and stuck the label onto the piece of gear I generally cover it with a piece of clear packing tape for extra protection.

Daniel Levi:
Plenty of compatible labels for the Brother machines and I've had good luck with them.
Currently have a desktop D600VP that will do up to 24MM tape and can be used with a PC.
Full QWERTY keyboard and separate number keys, plus a load of useful symbols/warning signs included too Auto cuts so you can tell it to print multiples of a label or use email merges and it ill auto cut each label.

Keith Broughton:

--- Quote from: Brian Jojade on February 08, 2022, 01:39:12 AM ---My current primary is the Dymo Rhino 5200.

I really like how it can make cable labels that wrap around the wire as well as make labels for patch panels, etc, where you define the width of each block, then create one big honking label.

I don't like how big it is, or the fact that it uses an alphabetical keyboard instead of a QWERTY keyboard.

--- End quote ---
I use the same one and it works well. A lot of "compatible" cartridges available.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version