ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Label maker  (Read 5258 times)

John Lackner

Label maker
« on: February 07, 2022, 09:59:48 PM »

I'm currently in search of a good label maker. Lots of choices out there - Brother, Dymo, Epson, Brady.  I'm wondering - do the big buck label makers have any important advantages over the basic ones - besides rechargeable batteries? I plan on using it to label cables in a rack and panels, devices, etc. Are there any preferred favorites?
Do you HEAR what you SEE? "Listen with your eyes, look with your ears" - Captain Beefheart

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: Label maker
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 01:39:12 AM »

My current primary is the Dymo Rhino 5200.

I really like how it can make cable labels that wrap around the wire as well as make labels for patch panels, etc, where you define the width of each block, then create one big honking label.

I don't like how big it is, or the fact that it uses an alphabetical keyboard instead of a QWERTY keyboard.

I've also got a few other label makers, from el cheapo to moderately priced.  For basic labels, they're all adequate.

In reality, something that I could connect to the computer or phone via bluettoth would make things easier vs the dedicated label machine. However, I haven't had the opportunity to play with any of those yet.
Brian Jojade

John Schalk

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 09:38:59 AM »

I have a DYMO LetraTag 100H.  It's positive features are portability and the fact that I can get label cartridges for it at Target.  Cons are the non-qwerty keyboard and having to switch between letters and numbers while typing in the label.  It's print quality is just fair; if you use the dual line mode the characters looks squished.  But, it has been rock solid for my low volume label printing needs and I would probably go with something similar, in size at least, if I need to buy a replacement down the road.

Edit to add:
After I've peeled off the backing and stuck the label onto the piece of gear I generally cover it with a piece of clear packing tape for extra protection.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 09:46:00 AM by John Schalk »

Daniel Levi

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 09:43:46 AM »

Plenty of compatible labels for the Brother machines and I've had good luck with them.
Currently have a desktop D600VP that will do up to 24MM tape and can be used with a PC.
Full QWERTY keyboard and separate number keys, plus a load of useful symbols/warning signs included too Auto cuts so you can tell it to print multiples of a label or use email merges and it ill auto cut each label.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2022, 10:58:29 AM »

My current primary is the Dymo Rhino 5200.

I really like how it can make cable labels that wrap around the wire as well as make labels for patch panels, etc, where you define the width of each block, then create one big honking label.

I don't like how big it is, or the fact that it uses an alphabetical keyboard instead of a QWERTY keyboard.

I use the same one and it works well. A lot of "compatible" cartridges available.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2022, 01:34:39 PM »

I use the same one and it works well. A lot of "compatible" cartridges available.

Yes, compatible, but there are a lot of CRAP compatible cartridges too...
Brian Jojade

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2022, 03:11:16 PM »

I use a Dymo Rhino largely because I can get heat shrink label stock for it.  I wonder if there are any Computer controllable ones out there that can also do shrink.

Daniel Levi

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2022, 06:02:01 PM »

I use a Dymo Rhino largely because I can get heat shrink label stock for it.  I wonder if there are any Computer controllable ones out there that can also do shrink.

Any of the Brother machines with pc connectivity that can do 18mm+ labels, some of the PC only machines are quite clever in that they include a "lite" version of the editing software in the printer, and a switch on the back puts it in to editor lite mode where the device simply appears as a USB memory device. No installation needed other than the USB memory device.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2022, 06:41:05 PM »

I've got a Brother PT-E550W which more than fits my needs.  Aside from the standard label functionality (including barcodes) it can print on shrink and also be controlled from my phone in addition to PC.  Despite my first thoughts of the phone control being more of a party trick than anything I've found it to be quite useful.

To address the OP, my rationale for this machine over the $39 machines from Staples was to print on shrink for the custom cables I make, but all the other pro-level features come in handy too.

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2022, 09:18:03 AM »

I've always been a fan of the Brady BMP21-PLUS for portable labelling. It'll do the self-laminating wire-wrap labels, as well as patch panel labels. You can also get heat-shrink tubing for it. Easily held in one hand. Never been a fan of the Brother labeler; their labels just didn't seem to last.  Though that PT-E550W looks nice. And I see that they now make a self-laminating label as well. Might be worth another look. Still a little hesitant; the label tape price is almost half of what Brady's is, and I suspect there's a 'quality' reason for that.

Daniel Levi

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2022, 11:44:54 AM »

I've always been a fan of the Brady BMP21-PLUS for portable labelling. It'll do the self-laminating wire-wrap labels, as well as patch panel labels. You can also get heat-shrink tubing for it. Easily held in one hand. Never been a fan of the Brother labeler; their labels just didn't seem to last.  Though that PT-E550W looks nice. And I see that they now make a self-laminating label as well. Might be worth another look. Still a little hesitant; the label tape price is almost half of what Brady's is, and I suspect there's a 'quality' reason for that.

I've had no issues with the quality of the Brother machines or the labels, including the compatible ones.
Plus Brother have had self-laminating labels for years, I had a cheapo machine in ~2006 that had laminated tapes and I believe that is standard for any machine that takes TZ(e) tape, and they have been making them for ever.
Luckily I got my D600 for about £60 which was a bargain, though the desktop design and massive blow-moulded case might make it less practical for some uses.

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2022, 11:57:47 AM »

I've had no issues with the quality of the Brother machines or the labels, including the compatible ones.
Plus Brother have had self-laminating labels for years, I had a cheapo machine in ~2006 that had laminated tapes and I believe that is standard for any machine that takes TZ(e) tape, and they have been making them for ever.
Luckily I got my D600 for about £60 which was a bargain, though the desktop design and massive blow-moulded case might make it less practical for some uses.
By 'Self Laminating', I mean, part of the label is white, and part of the label is clear. The clear portion wraps around the white portion. I saw a press release dated October 2020 that says they were releasing them as a new product?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2022, 01:44:05 PM »

I love Brother brand in printers and so I got a Brother label maker a few years ago. However, I hated it for 2 reasons - it would jam pretty often but the biggest issue for me was that it ATE through batteries!!. It seemed even when it was not being used, it drew power and the only way I could stop it was to pull out a battery after use. That got old real quick so I went back to Dymo and no issues since....
However, I still love my Brother network printers.....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Daniel Levi

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2022, 04:22:59 PM »

I love Brother brand in printers and so I got a Brother label maker a few years ago. However, I hated it for 2 reasons - it would jam pretty often but the biggest issue for me was that it ATE through batteries!!. It seemed even when it was not being used, it drew power and the only way I could stop it was to pull out a battery after use. That got old real quick so I went back to Dymo and no issues since....
However, I still love my Brother network printers.....

Strange, my larger machine lasts quite long on batteries and it's not used all that often, it does have one annoyance that if you try to do too many rows of text on the machine it slows right down.

And yes as for Brother normal printers I heve a MFC-L8690CDW here, the bottom in the range but it will un-officially take the largest 9K cartridges and as it uses a mechanical method to work out cartridge life, cartridge life can be reset so if you want to you can drain a cartridge near compleatly. £40 will get you a full set of compatible cartridges on eBay.
Also like the fact the ADF has an extra scanner head in it so both sides of a paper can be scanned at the same time, without the ADF having to flip the page, speeding up double-sided scanning/copying no end.   
I also have one of their smaller address labellers, which can not only take thermal paper address labels but continuious strips and mini CD labels.

Latly as for self laminating labels, the ones I use have a sticky backing of whatever colour you've chosen and a clear top which has the text printed using thermal transfer on the back and is adhered automatically to the backing strip. Though looking at a video on the Brother pro range of labels it would appear that the self-laminating tapes have an extra bit of clear tape that is used to wrap the label around the wire.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2022, 04:49:14 PM »

Dymo Rhino 5200 gets it done.

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2022, 04:41:36 PM »

Dymo Rhino 5200 gets it done.

I have a Dymo Rhino 8000. Worked great until the "power" cutter jammed and stopped working. No way anybody is going to take it apart and fix it.  I understand that was a common problem with the 8000 so it was discontinued.

The 5200 still has the manual lever cutter, which is good, but it won't take the 1" wide tape and doesn't have the features the 8000 did. It looks like the 8000 has been replaced with the 6000x (which replaces the 6000)  :o . It is supposed to have an "improved" power cutter.

Dunno, but I have no problem moving a cutoff lever with my thumb.

-Hal

Mark Norgren

• Mark Norgren
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2022, 08:43:53 AM »

I just bought a Rhino 6000 and it seems to be working great!  Mine has the power cutter and now I'm hoping I don't have any issues with it??

Daniel Levi

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2022, 12:47:05 PM »

The power cutter is quite handy on my brother as it's not only great when you are doing multiple labels at once (either multiple copies of the same label or doing mail merge labels) but it also automatically cuts of the extra bit of label when doing small margin labels.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2022, 12:54:24 PM »

By 'Self Laminating', I mean, part of the label is white, and part of the label is clear. The clear portion wraps around the white portion. I saw a press release dated October 2020 that says they were releasing them as a new product?

Your understanding is correct on both accounts.

I have a Brother PT-E550W and I love it for making patch panel & general labeling (QWERTY is awesome).

That said, the self laminating label (TZESL251) either didn't exist, is hard to find, super expensive, or doesn't work as you would expect.

The standard laminated labels (TZE-251) have all fallen off or smudge quickly.
The 'strong adhesive' labels (HGE-S251) are more expensive and stick better, but still don't self laminate.

Lastly, (anecdotal evidence inbound) some keys on the keymat on my (2017) PT-E550W stopped working, I cleaned it and still have an issue so it must be the daughterboard, support is still an unknown quantity. I'd say dismal at best (but most support is these days).

---

I am going to replace my Brother PT-E550W with a Brady M210 or BMP41 after using some a fellow integrator crew used.
-higher quality glue
-self laminating
-size
-magnet attachment
-durability

I hate the 'ABCD' M210 (& former BMP21-PLUS) so am heavily considering the BMP41 for QWERTY.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 12:58:35 PM by Nathan Riddle »
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2022, 12:19:54 PM »

Your understanding is correct on both accounts.

I have a Brother PT-E550W and I love it for making patch panel & general labeling (QWERTY is awesome).

That said, the self laminating label (TZESL251) either didn't exist, is hard to find, super expensive, or doesn't work as you would expect.

The standard laminated labels (TZE-251) have all fallen off or smudge quickly.
The 'strong adhesive' labels (HGE-S251) are more expensive and stick better, but still don't self laminate.

Lastly, (anecdotal evidence inbound) some keys on the keymat on my (2017) PT-E550W stopped working, I cleaned it and still have an issue so it must be the daughterboard, support is still an unknown quantity. I'd say dismal at best (but most support is these days).

---

I am going to replace my Brother PT-E550W with a Brady M210 or BMP41 after using some a fellow integrator crew used.
-higher quality glue
-self laminating
-size
-magnet attachment
-durability

I hate the 'ABCD' M210 (& former BMP21-PLUS) so am heavily considering the BMP41 for QWERTY.

The one thing I'd note is that the Rechargeable battery in the BMP21-PLUS must be removed to charge it - you can't charge it while it's in the device. Odd choice, that. The unit comes with one power cable, so if the battery dies, you can either use the device plugged into the wall, or charge the battery, but not both. That being said, the battery life is very, very long. Don't know how the BMP41 or M210 work.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2022, 10:54:50 AM »

The one thing I'd note is that the Rechargeable battery in the BMP21-PLUS must be removed to charge it - you can't charge it while it's in the device. Odd choice, that. The unit comes with one power cable, so if the battery dies, you can either use the device plugged into the wall, or charge the battery, but not both. That being said, the battery life is very, very long. Don't know how the BMP41 or M210 work.

For your BMP21-PLUS (Or M210 Replacement) what cartridges do you use the most/recommend?
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2022, 12:27:21 PM »

For your BMP21-PLUS (Or M210 Replacement) what cartridges do you use the most/recommend?
Brady M21-1500-427 is the self-laminating one we use (1.5" self-laminating, fits 3 lines at 9-point). For regular labels, we use vinyl. I keep 3/8", 1/2", and 3/4" black-on-white in stock, as well as 1/2" black-on-clear and 1/2" white-on-black for special labels like one-off stainless plates, or relabelling a re-used custom plate (which are usually black).

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2022, 12:27:21 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 24 queries.