ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: The Old Digital Console Thread  (Read 13187 times)

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: The Old Digital Console Thread
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2022, 05:21:12 PM »

I'm surprised to see no mention of Digidesign -- now Avid. Was that not one of the early digital live sound desks? It must have come out late '90s. --Frank
Avid/Digidesign was a relative late comer to the live sound console market. By the time the original D-Show Venue hit the market in 2005, the Yamaha had already been producing digital console for 15 years? And the PM1D and PM5D were standard fair, and the Digico D5 Live and D1 Live had already been introduced. Avid was basically just playing catch up and copying Yamaha's features and work flow (albeit badly).
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2022, 10:58:12 PM »

Can you say CADAC?

Mac

Only if I don't have to lift one... or the caddy of spare parts that comes with each console.

I don't recall the name of the show but pre-Pandemic we had a J series w side cars (note plural) for the FOH.  While the other hands taped down an arm-sized cable bundle I was turned lose to patch FOH.  "It's color coded and labeled, you're an audio guy, you'll figure it out."  Okay...

When it was powered up I did not detect any of the Lucas Magic Smoke and the A1 was not swearing loudly.  Mission accomplished, but my oh my, I'd forgotten the "pleasure" of assembling a rig like that.  I was mostly impressed that no modules needed re-seated or swapped with spares. 

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2022, 12:52:59 AM »

{...} I don't recall the name of the show but pre-Pandemic we had a J series w side cars (note plural) for the FOH. {...}

If this was fairly recently I'm pretty sure the only show that was still using a J-types pre-pandemic (touring or Broadway) was Wicked; according to this press release the touring production finally got a Quantum 7T just before the pandemic hit. The Broadway production is another matter, though: the Gershwin Theatre is one of the only theatres (the only theatre?) on Broadway that was designed with a permanent FOH mix position, so there's very little incentive to swap out the J-type (since switching to a smaller console wouldn't free up any seats).

-Russ

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2022, 01:24:52 AM »

And something I was only recently made aware of, and something that was probably rarer than hens teeth, the TOA ix-9000

I thought the TOA stuff was more for broadcast production use and less for live PA?

-There's definitely a whole class of product intended for broadcast booths and trucks that have names I don't even recognize.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Daniel Levi

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2022, 06:02:48 AM »

I thought the TOA stuff was more for broadcast production use and less for live PA?

-There's definitely a whole class of product intended for broadcast booths and trucks that have names I don't even recognize.

Might have been, although TOA have tried in the past to get into the live sound market with a range of PA speakers amps and wireless systems. Muzines has a few of their magazine adverts which were designed for live sound. They also did a very interesting product, an 8 track cassette recorder, though you had to be careful with channels bleading into each other.
The TOA ix-9000 does look impressive though.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2022, 07:02:58 AM »

... TOA have tried in the past to get into the live sound market

At one time had a PM1000 clone!

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2022, 09:52:41 AM »

Might have been, although TOA have tried in the past to get into the live sound market with a range of PA speakers amps and wireless systems. Muzines has a few of their magazine adverts which were designed for live sound. They also did a very interesting product, an 8 track cassette recorder, though you had to be careful with channels bleading into each other.
The TOA ix-9000 does look impressive though.

They had a really nice sounding small PA system. Sort of Meyer UPA/650 size cabinets with I believe TAD drivers.
Heard it way back when on a service call while the rep was demoing it at a local performing arts facility.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2022, 12:10:16 PM »

If this was fairly recently I'm pretty sure the only show that was still using a J-types pre-pandemic (touring or Broadway) was Wicked; according to this press release the touring production finally got a Quantum 7T just before the pandemic hit. The Broadway production is another matter, though: the Gershwin Theatre is one of the only theatres (the only theatre?) on Broadway that was designed with a permanent FOH mix position, so there's very little incentive to swap out the J-type (since switching to a smaller console wouldn't free up any seats).

-Russ

It was after the Wicked! Munchkinland Company played here, and IIRC that show was on DigiCo desks.

The show I'm thinking of was a 2 or 3 nighter and that ain't Wicked!
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2022, 01:00:03 PM »

First digital console for me was a Roland M-400 then a Digico D1 Live.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2022, 01:12:31 PM »

First digital console for me was a Roland M-400 then a Digico D1 Live.

Yamaha DMP7 briefly. Things really took off with DM2000 and then PM5D. My first PM1D was in early 2000 I think.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2022, 01:12:31 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 20 queries.