ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: The Old Digital Console Thread  (Read 8385 times)

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Re: The Old Digital Console Thread
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2022, 11:47:48 AM »

I will SEE your digital w/o motorized faders, and RAISE you motorized faders w/o recallable head amps: The PM5D non-RH.

Introduced to me by Domonic from Sound Associates in Central Park. NY Grand Opera show. (1996-7?) Using it as orchestra sidecar. Put me off digital desks for some time..

Yeah, non-RH was a real head-scratcher.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2022, 12:31:21 PM »

I will SEE your digital w/o motorized faders, and RAISE you motorized faders w/o recallable head amps: The PM5D non-RH.

Introduced to me by Domonic from Sound Associates in Central Park. NY Grand Opera show. (1996-7?) Using it as orchestra sidecar. Put me off digital desks for some time..

Yeah, I well remember those. The whole argument was that you couldn't make Digitally Controlled mic pre's sound as good. But then they went ahead and made them and all the folks who said they didn't sound as good eventually caved because yeah, having the one non-recallable control be at the BEGINNING of the signal chain really didn't work.

It took a long time for me to discover that recallable head amps were not linear controls like their analog counterparts but really stepped controls with variable digital trim added and subtracted in order to maintain [or attempt to maintain] the granularity provided by true analog pots. And when I did find out I remember being somewhat alarmed because of how contentious the whole issue had been back in the early PM5d days. Of course now we routinely do fairly extreme digital "gain" controlling without really thinking much about it [gain tracking/copmpensation, etc.]
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2022, 02:19:53 PM »

Another console that needed as many spares as a CADAC. I only ever saw one of them. It might have been with Reba. An entire day was used to get it working fully. Howard Page was the console tech on that one! It worked like a champ for the show.

Mac

Or the ATI Paragon II - upon removal from the truck some re-assembly is required.
"Art has always held a tenuous position between acts of subversion and status symbol collected by those who profit from the very status quo the art purports to subvert." - Stephen Colbert

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2022, 03:13:32 PM »

Or the ATI Paragon II - upon removal from the truck some re-assembly is required.

Imagine a rig with Paragon II desks and CyberLogic amps.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2022, 03:42:33 PM »

Imagine a rig with Paragon II desks and CyberLogic amps.

There's probably a John Lennon audio song parody in there, somewhere...

"Art has always held a tenuous position between acts of subversion and status symbol collected by those who profit from the very status quo the art purports to subvert." - Stephen Colbert

Daniel Levi

« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2022, 03:44:34 PM »

As I mentioned in one of my other posts, I raise you a digital console with no memories at all (except maybe the output graphics and FX), the LEM Ulitimix, basically had the same UI as a small analogue desk.
I doubt many (if any) used it as LEM were not exactly that well known and the concept was quite bizarre.
Rick Wakeman did use an analogue LEM mixer (Swing 32) and a LEM speaker system as his monitors for a while.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2022, 06:38:40 AM »

The PM5D was released in 2004.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2022, 07:26:15 AM »

The PM5D was released in 2004.

Wow. So much for my memory...

Makes sense. Did 7 years of NYGO gigs starting in '96-97. The early 5D appeared at the tail end of my run. (The year that a Whirlwind MASS connector pin insulator "went conductive" was a favorite).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 08:41:42 AM by Jim McKeveny »

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2022, 01:17:18 PM »

Yeah, non-RH was a real head-scratcher.
Not so much for me, since it was kind of a crossover from the PM1D and DM2000, and I had used DM/01/02/03 consoles for years.
All those "recording" boards had analog non-programmable gains and there was a significant cost savings for the Non-RH which is why companies bought them...
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2022, 04:52:49 PM »

Not so much for me, since it was kind of a crossover from the PM1D and DM2000, and I had used DM/01/02/03 consoles for years.
All those "recording" boards had analog non-programmable gains and there was a significant cost savings for the Non-RH which is why companies bought them...

They also came out first IIRC.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2022, 04:52:49 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 18 queries.