Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board

The Old Digital Console Thread

<< < (2/21) > >>

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Tim Weaver on February 06, 2022, 12:17:27 AM ---My first digital experience was in the mid 90's using a Yamaha Pro-Mix 01. Baylor University had one I used for basketball games and other stuff at the arena.

When I moved to Texas A&M they had an 03d and a couple of the early 01v's. For some reason I always hated using the 01v, but me and the 03d got along just fine. So much so that I bought one for myself in 2008 when I left A&M and started my own little soundco. That evolved into an 01v96 and I managed to do full remote mixing on it before the iPad was even available. I also had that 01v96 maxed out on inputs and outputs. Even did a local musical with it where I used every in and out, and even had to wye together a couple things to make it all fit!

--- End quote ---

My "gateway digital" was an 01v (original, 60mm faders, silver top).  Short version: saw the potential of digital mixing and bought an 01v96ii and Behry ADA8000 connected via TOSLINK.  I added a small analog side car mixer and did youth musical theater for a couple seasons.  I understand the input squeeze!

But as annoying as that old Yammy UI was/is, until the M7 came along all Yamaha digital mixers worked kind of the same.  There was something to be said for the uniformity... kind of like 'you can run the SPX-90, you can run most Yamaha FX...'

Scott Holtzman:
I will start with the oddball x200 Mackie, just was discussing this in another thread, only saw one in the wild. 

This was my gateway mixer.  The workflow was a little odd, but not that odd and it had PEW, COMP and GATE along with FX.  I used an 8 channel TDIF interface to get to 24 channels and thought I really had something. 
[/size]
[/size]I still have three of them in various states of non-working.  One had the third party LCD upgrade that adds an external VGA port!  That was very slick.  The displays had tons of issues as did the motorized faders. 
[/size]
[/size]I have noticed people are paying silly prices for these, mights let this bit of history go.

[/size]This is the often overlooked TM-D1000 from TASCAM.  While equipped with only 4 mic PRE's it too had TDIF interfaces.  With the 8 channel external this became a 12 channel board with 4 channel parametric EQ.  I also have the FX expansion boards bringing in a total of 4 FX slots and a few different verbs and comps.  These sound real decent and if I was in a pickle would work find for a corporate or acoustic show.

[/size]

Scott Helmke:
Roland had a couple nice desks in the last few years, but I guess they must have given up on that market.

I have a friend who's using a Tascam digital mixer in his home studio - he's a noise artist, so write your own joke.  I actually had a print service manual for that one because a church customer used to have one in their broadcast booth.

Tim Weaver:
I also used a Tascam DM4800 for a couple years off and on.

iirc it had 24 pre's on board. It had a weird interface though where you had to press a shift key to do lots of stuff on it, so it was two hands most of the time to do any one task on the board. Forget holding a TB mic and trying to dial up monitors!

I seem to remember it sounded good. But it also had a weird and very confusing show/scene save system. More than one engineer nuked his soundcheck by not saving things properly on it. Myself included.

Daniel Levi:
And there was Behringer's original digital mixer the DDX3216, production ended when the main DSP was discontinued I believe.
LEM, part of Generalmusic s.p.a. had the Ulitmix, but that was strange in the fact that that layout was the same as an analogue mixer, even down to having no channel presets, bet they sold hardly any.

And there was where it all began for the smaller digital mixer, the Yamaha DMP7

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version