ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: The Old Digital Console Thread  (Read 13191 times)

gordonmcgregor

Re: The Old Digital Console Thread
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2022, 04:31:14 PM »

My 1st digital desk was the dreaded SC328 which died 3 times so got binned though the last of the 3 replacements was working last time I saw it ::)
Next one was a Roland VM7000 series with both sizes of control surface, now that thing despite as it's limited processing by today's standards and its slightly odd work flow was a trouper, many stories of it running happily in freezing cold, or real desert heat or even once when the humidity was such it was wet to touch. After that its been Ilive and Dlive from Allen and Heath along with the later Roland VMix series especially the M200i which we have 3 of and they just work despite much abuse like their forebear.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 05:29:46 PM by gordonmcgregor »

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2022, 06:34:52 PM »

I remember seeing an Innovason come in on a theater tour once and just wondering how in the world it even worked. There seemed to be no controls an the thing other than faders.
It was the benchmark at the time for brilliant UI. Very few controls needed, but still very capable.
Really was brought out too early, though, before they were able to get the software to be crash-proof.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2022, 07:09:34 PM »

I had a Promix then the 01v. Later used the adat out and 2 channel spdif out on the 01v for a side car to the O1v96. Put an Adat card in the 96 and used the outs to go to a Fostex D1624 and D824 linked for recording. All setups were very stable. Still have the 01v96 and Fostex recorders and even a ADA8000 somewhere around here. The 2003 O1v96 was one of the first ones off the boat and "Yes, I'm fine" still comes up. 

Douglas R. Allen

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2022, 07:32:35 PM »

I had a Promix then the 01v. Later used the adat out and 2 channel spdif out on the 01v for a side car to the O1v96. Put an Adat card in the 96 and used the outs to go to a Fostex D1624 and D824 linked for recording. All setups were very stable. Still have the 01v96 and Fostex recorders and even a ADA8000 somewhere around here. The 2003 O1v96 was one of the first ones off the boat and "Yes, I'm fine" still comes up. 

Douglas R. Allen

I toured an 01V/96 through Ukraine in the coldest winter in 100 years doing all outside political events. Turned it on at -20+ F temperatures multiple times and had it work flawlessly. Freezing rain, horizontal snow, Grit and grime and slush made the faders stick occasionally, but the dang thing still refused to ever think about quitting. I remain convinced that the 01V/96 was the most amazing mixer that Yamaha [or anyone else] ever built. Unbelievable amount of capability in a super small package that was built like what tanks aspire to be.

And yeah, I STILL love the "yes I'm fine" on startup!
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2022, 08:06:14 PM »

I toured an 01V/96 through Ukraine in the coldest winter in 100 years doing all outside political events. Turned it on at -20+ F temperatures multiple times and had it work flawlessly. Freezing rain, horizontal snow, Grit and grime and slush made the faders stick occasionally, but the dang thing still refused to ever think about quitting. I remain convinced that the 01V/96 was the most amazing mixer that Yamaha [or anyone else] ever built. Unbelievable amount of capability in a super small package that was built like what tanks aspire to be.

And yeah, I STILL love the "yes I'm fine" on startup!

I agree. If only they would have come out with a 01v96 24 or 32 channel XLR frame, as it didn't have the ability to have a digital snake, they would have had a winner. I didn't mind using the ADAT in's but would have dropped the change on a 24/32 XLR frame without a thought back then. For whatever reason the LS just didn't sound the same to me. Never did figure out why or purchase one. To me the 01v96 just sounded right. Even holds its own against my M32R today.

Douglas R. Allen

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2022, 08:35:09 PM »

The Mother of All PSU Silliness: the Midas (XL series?) redundancy.  Most of the failures were with the umbilical cable/connections. .

Can you say CADAC?

Mac

Andrew Hirschman

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2022, 10:01:28 PM »

I had a Mackie TT24 that was a mostly great board, conceptually. But our church went through 3 of them because they would shut down, crash, they weren't the most stable thing. But the coolest was that they had a lake card for an expansion slot, we were slated to get one as a beta tester, but our church ended up getting rid of it, the month we were supposed to get the Lake card, if my memory serves Mackie even shipped the card but that same month we got rid of the board for a much more stable Yamaha M7...

-Andy Hirschman

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2022, 10:19:46 PM »

Can you say CADAC?

CADAC PSUs get bonus points for being so noisy (in an acoustic sense) that some designers insisted on placing them out in the lobby (and therefore introducing the added reliability concerns of patrons leaving their half-empty bar glasses on top of the PSU rack).

-Russ

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2022, 01:46:30 AM »

CADAC PSUs get bonus points for being so noisy (in an acoustic sense) that some designers insisted on placing them out in the lobby (and therefore introducing the added reliability concerns of patrons leaving their half-empty bar glasses on top of the PSU rack).

-Russ

I had a house gig once with a nice booth.  I asked the guy that built it to build the “lean rail” which looked for all intents and purpose like a drink rail, at an angle.  Invariably some fool would spend an evening trying to get that bottle of beer to stand up.  It never worked lol.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Scott Slater

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2022, 07:53:07 AM »

I got my start on digital with the Rolland M400, and Yamaha LS9.  I later purchased an 01v96v2, and still own it.  The Rolland had an interface very much like the at the time Yamahas, so working with it wasn't a difficult transition.  I used the 01v96v2 with an ADAT expansion card and an Alesis HD24 for a recording setup.  I still have the HD24, and have since purchased a Ferofish Verto to convert the ADAT optical to DANTE.  Now I can use it with newer consoles and it still works great.  I really wish that Alesis would re-release the HD24 in some fashion with native DANTE and newer SSDs.  Not sure there would be a market for that though.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2022, 07:53:07 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.