ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: The Old Digital Console Thread  (Read 8345 times)

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
The Old Digital Console Thread
« on: February 05, 2022, 09:40:21 PM »

I alluded to the various Yamaha UIs in another thread.   There exists a video about Yammy digital mixer history. 

When is the last time anyone saw Innovason in the wild?  I remember when it was released, NSCA I suppose. 

There were plenty of players in the 90s, maybe some late 80s.
Soundcraft, Tascam, Roland, what else?
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: The Old Digital Console Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2022, 12:04:07 AM »

Soundcraft had the Spirit Digital in or around the late 90's and Allen Heath had one about the same time, I think both were a test of the digital market. I don't think either of those first models were around too long.
I just did some looking and could not find anything on the early A&H mixer.

More of an early mid 2000 era was the EAW UMX mixer.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2022, 12:08:02 AM »

I remember seeing an Innovason come in on a theater tour once and just wondering how in the world it even worked. There seemed to be no controls an the thing other than faders.

Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2022, 12:08:11 AM »

Soundcraft had the Spirit Digital in or around the late 90's and Allen Heath had one about the same time, I think both were a test of the digital market. I don't think either of those first models were around too long.
I just did some looking and could not find anything on the early A&H mixer.

More of an early mid 2000 era was the EAW UMX mixer.

I saw one UMX in the wild. I think Foreigner FOH had one for himself.  This would be around 2009.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2022, 12:17:27 AM »

My first digital experience was in the mid 90's using a Yamaha Pro-Mix 01. Baylor University had one I used for basketball games and other stuff at the arena.

When I moved to Texas A&M they had an 03d and a couple of the early 01v's. For some reason I always hated using the 01v, but me and the 03d got along just fine. So much so that I bought one for myself in 2008 when I left A&M and started my own little soundco. That evolved into an 01v96 and I managed to do full remote mixing on it before the iPad was even available. I also had that 01v96 maxed out on inputs and outputs. Even did a local musical with it where I used every in and out, and even had to wye together a couple things to make it all fit!
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2022, 12:35:18 AM »

My first digital experience was in the mid 90's using a Yamaha Pro-Mix 01. Baylor University had one I used for basketball games and other stuff at the arena.

When I moved to Texas A&M they had an 03d and a couple of the early 01v's. For some reason I always hated using the 01v, but me and the 03d got along just fine. So much so that I bought one for myself in 2008 when I left A&M and started my own little soundco. That evolved into an 01v96 and I managed to do full remote mixing on it before the iPad was even available. I also had that 01v96 maxed out on inputs and outputs. Even did a local musical with it where I used every in and out, and even had to wye together a couple things to make it all fit!

My "gateway digital" was an 01v (original, 60mm faders, silver top).  Short version: saw the potential of digital mixing and bought an 01v96ii and Behry ADA8000 connected via TOSLINK.  I added a small analog side car mixer and did youth musical theater for a couple seasons.  I understand the input squeeze!

But as annoying as that old Yammy UI was/is, until the M7 came along all Yamaha digital mixers worked kind of the same.  There was something to be said for the uniformity... kind of like 'you can run the SPX-90, you can run most Yamaha FX...'
"Art has always held a tenuous position between acts of subversion and status symbol collected by those who profit from the very status quo the art purports to subvert." - Stephen Colbert

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2022, 02:12:38 AM »

I will start with the oddball x200 Mackie, just was discussing this in another thread, only saw one in the wild. 

This was my gateway mixer.  The workflow was a little odd, but not that odd and it had PEW, COMP and GATE along with FX.  I used an 8 channel TDIF interface to get to 24 channels and thought I really had something. 
[/size]
[/size]I still have three of them in various states of non-working.  One had the third party LCD upgrade that adds an external VGA port!  That was very slick.  The displays had tons of issues as did the motorized faders. 
[/size]
[/size]I have noticed people are paying silly prices for these, mights let this bit of history go.

[/size]This is the often overlooked TM-D1000 from TASCAM.  While equipped with only 4 mic PRE's it too had TDIF interfaces.  With the 8 channel external this became a 12 channel board with 4 channel parametric EQ.  I also have the FX expansion boards bringing in a total of 4 FX slots and a few different verbs and comps.  These sound real decent and if I was in a pickle would work find for a corporate or acoustic show.

[/size]
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Helmke

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2022, 08:49:37 AM »

Roland had a couple nice desks in the last few years, but I guess they must have given up on that market.

I have a friend who's using a Tascam digital mixer in his home studio - he's a noise artist, so write your own joke.  I actually had a print service manual for that one because a church customer used to have one in their broadcast booth.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2022, 09:44:23 AM »

I also used a Tascam DM4800 for a couple years off and on.

iirc it had 24 pre's on board. It had a weird interface though where you had to press a shift key to do lots of stuff on it, so it was two hands most of the time to do any one task on the board. Forget holding a TB mic and trying to dial up monitors!

I seem to remember it sounded good. But it also had a weird and very confusing show/scene save system. More than one engineer nuked his soundcheck by not saving things properly on it. Myself included.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 12:20:53 PM by Tim Weaver »

Daniel Levi

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2022, 09:56:15 AM »

And there was Behringer's original digital mixer the DDX3216, production ended when the main DSP was discontinued I believe.
LEM, part of Generalmusic s.p.a. had the Ulitmix, but that was strange in the fact that that layout was the same as an analogue mixer, even down to having no channel presets, bet they sold hardly any.

And there was where it all began for the smaller digital mixer, the Yamaha DMP7

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2022, 09:56:15 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 25 queries.