ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL SRX835 - Opinions, Thoughts and Complaints  (Read 2380 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: JBL SRX835 - Opinions, Thoughts and Complaints
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2022, 12:10:21 AM »

This is for a potential gig. I'm thinking it might be outside of my wheelhouse considering the gear I own... Time to pass it on to someone else.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Or rent the gear and do the gig under your name. 

Where are you?  There probably is someone on the forum that can hook you up.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Bailey Lukens

• Classic LAB
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2022, 12:13:07 AM »

I have to meet with the client and discuss their specific needs to figure out how best to approach this. I fear it will be too much subcontracting, and they will be able to get a better deal at company B.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2022, 03:11:27 AM »

I have to meet with the client and discuss their specific needs to figure out how best to approach this. I fear it will be too much subcontracting, and they will be able to get a better deal at company B.

If you don't have it you should work out a cross rental agreement.  The general rule is if you can't hire someone else to do it and still make money they someone is working for free.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mike Santarelli

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2022, 03:15:04 PM »

Hello everyone,

For those of you that have JBL SRX835 tops, how well do they do outdoors? How many people do you think four of them would cover outdoors?

I know it really depends on genre, so let's say singer songwriter and contemporary rock.

Subs - four of the Danley TH115

I own the 835 and have done some decent crowds with two per side.  Honestly Iíve covered more with them than I thought they could handle and have been surprised.  In the picture I attached, there are two 835/828 per side.  There were nearly 3,000 people here this day (ticketed).  Granted it was Americana and bluegrass and there is a whole portion of the field left out.  The system was fine and gave plenty of volume for our needs.

I would also look at a danley sm80 since you have th115. The sm80 will outrun the 835 in my experience.  Another 3 way to consider is the Yamaha dzr 315.  They are more refined and articulate. 

Others to consider may be the dB tech IG3T and ig4t. 

Bailey Lukens

• Classic LAB
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2022, 08:15:16 PM »

Yeah, the srx835 is my friends rig, which we'll be using for a gig.

So, I assume you've had personal experience with IG3T/4T. Do they really smash to pieces the standard three way boxes like I've heard people say?

Mike Santarelli

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2022, 09:08:15 PM »

So, I assume you've had personal experience with IG3T/4T. Do they really smash to pieces the standard three way boxes like I've heard people say?

I do have some experience with the ig. The 835 is pretty stout and full. The ig boxes 1:1 are not as loud but are clearer. They donít have the punch of the something like the 835. If you double up the ig you do get a nice bump in output and a nice, wide coverage area.  I do not think the ig is a long throw box like some would have you believe, but it is a very good speaker and can cover some ground when linked.  You really need to get them up in the air to let them open up.

From an experience standpoint Iíd take a single sm80 or jtr neosis over a pair of ig per side.  I think itís as loud or louder and more precise.  Having mixed on quite a number of high end systems Iíve really started to notice how some higher end consumer and even pro level boxes hide things.  Iíd rather have a speaker be honest at this point for my tastes.  With that said I feel speakers like the ig and rcf while smooth, mask some things I want to be able to hear if that makes sense.

The igs have their purpose and they are cute, but Iíd still take one really high end point source over them. One of the members  did some modeling a while back and a box like the ttl6a will output over 6db more than a stacked pair of ig4t.

My stance has always been if Iím going through the work to fly from lifts/trussing, itís going to be one bad ass box or array hang. Getting proper height on a ground stack is a lot easier said than done. Sure, you can put subs on the stage etc but there comes a time when practicality wonít be so practical.

The igs are fine speakers though with the ig3 giving more low end output than  the ig4.  They will offer more fidelity than an srx835 but not have the same brute force.

Feel free to pm me with any specific questions.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 09:11:17 PM by Mike Santarelli »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2022, 01:21:50 PM »

No. Hell no.

I guess it depends on what rigs on is accustomed to using but every time I've heard "this is THE KILLER" I've been disappointed.  Not that the product was bad, only that it failed to meet the hype and did not perform "better enough" to justify replacing existing inventory.

My experience with "columnar" loudspeakers goes back 50 years.  The underlying physics has not changed.  Individual transducer design has advanced considerably in 5 decades so the output is greater and distortion is lower, but fundamentally they do the same thing as a 2 transducer 2-way box.  All the 'magic' the new column products manage is via processing, mostly for vertical beam steering and largely above 1kHz.

My suggestion - rent, borrow, or buy (from a dealer with generous return policies, if you don't like the item) - and do a shoot out *with a band* and not just pink noise or recorded music.  Do it at a venue you are familiar with, and then do it outdoors.  Outdoors is where the reality slaps you like a wet trout in the face... ;)
"Art has always held a tenuous position between acts of subversion and status symbol collected by those who profit from the very status quo the art purports to subvert." - Stephen Colbert

Bailey Lukens

• Classic LAB
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2022, 01:25:29 PM »

Good thought! I know the "hype" train really isn't always true.

Thanks for the comment!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2022, 01:29:28 PM »

Thanks for the comment!

That all said, there are use cases where the form factor or size/weight make them better choices than a plywood box on a stick.  They have a place in ones inventory; whether or not they are the primary loudspeaker format in your shop depends on other factors.
"Art has always held a tenuous position between acts of subversion and status symbol collected by those who profit from the very status quo the art purports to subvert." - Stephen Colbert

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2022, 03:06:16 PM »

Thanks for the comment!

On the internet it's more "Bullschitt Train"...  :)

90% or higher heresay and not valid experience.  Note I didn't say "experience", but "Valid Experience".

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #19 on: February 05, 2022, 03:06:16 PM ¬Ľ

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 21 queries.