ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: CISCO SG350X-8PMD - Fan modifications for quieter operation  (Read 4914 times)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
CISCO SG350X-8PMD - Fan modifications for quieter operation
« on: January 31, 2022, 01:27:44 PM »

CISCO SG350X-8PMD

8 POE+ ports (4 POE++ 60W) - 2.5mGig
2 UPlink ports (Copper/SFP+)  - 10mGig
(10 total ports)

Built-in PSU

Data Sheet

Other comparable switches:
QNAP QSW-M2116P-2T2S-US
Netgear GS710TUP

----

Main issue is the 41dB(A) noise level.

Replaced the Sunon (EB40201SX-D010-C99) fan with a Noctua NF-A4x20 fan.
Much better.
Lower CFM, but much lower SPL & better curve.

Thermals are only slightly higher (1-4C) at idle, no POE.
I won't regularly use POE with it, just for bench testing devices. Which means there is no long-term issue.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 07:10:23 PM by Nathan Riddle »
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: CISCO SG350X-8PMD - Fan modifications for quieter operation
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2022, 01:28:01 PM »

Fan Modifications
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 01:37:18 PM by Nathan Riddle »

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 01:30:14 PM »

Measurements

Note: These are relative, not absolute measurements.

They were done on my phone with the phone's mic using Audio Tools (great app).

Distance is 8"

Goal was not to be absolute in testing methodology, rather quick and dirty to get relative measurements.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 01:42:07 PM by Nathan Riddle »

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2022, 01:30:27 PM »

Additional Measurements
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 01:40:56 PM by Nathan Riddle »

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2022, 01:40:46 PM »

Speed Tests

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2022, 01:42:54 PM »

Reserved

John L Nobile

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2022, 02:26:12 PM »

Why not just buy a fanless switch? I've got a few from this place that have been working for me without issues

https://www.fs.com/products/129513.html

https://www.fs.com/c/enterprise-switches-3079?sort_order=price&page=1

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2022, 03:31:40 PM »

Why not just buy a fanless switch? I've got a few from this place that have been working for me without issues

https://www.fs.com/products/129513.html

https://www.fs.com/c/enterprise-switches-3079?sort_order=price&page=1

My guess is that he has a mountain of them from another project already, so a fan mod is cheaper than a new switch - especially for bench use.  Also my guess that he posted it here since there are others that are potentially in the same situation looking for an inexpensive way to breathe new life into existing (free) switches, since these have been so popular.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2022, 07:07:09 PM »

I want to be snarky like Mac/Tim/JR can be, but I can't pull it off lovingly so I will refrain.

1) If you have a need for networking switches then this post might be helpful to you, if not; it has no real bearing on day-to-day working of an AVL person as it is more geared for IT people.

2) Please understand the switch type/capabilities, you both have made major assumptions about the capabilities without even looking at it or the price.

3) While true the SG350X are going EOL in favor of the CBS350-8MP-2X series there is no little to no difference besides chassis color. Meaning no, there are not a mountain of these sitting around especially with the price-tag.

4) If fanless was needed/wanted then I would have sought out that switch. Those are great for studios and the like. Beware of inductor whine/HF switching noise. Not aware of any 240w+ POE++ (60w) switches which are fanless.

5) FS has some decent products. But one thing I will not compromise on is security/reliability. I'll stick with CISCO/Mikrotik/Netgear/QNAP switches, thanks. [Side note: after recently listening to a podcast with General H.R. McMaster #1763 I am changing my stance on buying Chinese for nearly all products & for clients.]
QNAP QSW-M2116P-2T2S-US would be my suggestion if you need/want a cheaper switch that is not FS

6) Please stop assuming my specific use-case when one wasn't given. This is the reviews section. Not the lounge.
I wanted/needed CISCO. I don't like noise, I fixed it. Hoping to help someone with a similar problem.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2022, 12:06:24 AM »

I want to be snarky like Mac/Tim/JR can be, but I can't pull it off lovingly so I will refrain.

1) If you have a need for networking switches then this post might be helpful to you, if not; it has no real bearing on day-to-day working of an AVL person as it is more geared for IT people.

2) Please understand the switch type/capabilities, you both have made major assumptions about the capabilities without even looking at it or the price.

3) While true the SG350X are going EOL in favor of the CBS350-8MP-2X series there is no little to no difference besides chassis color. Meaning no, there are not a mountain of these sitting around especially with the price-tag.

4) If fanless was needed/wanted then I would have sought out that switch. Those are great for studios and the like. Beware of inductor whine/HF switching noise. Not aware of any 240w+ POE++ (60w) switches which are fanless.

5) FS has some decent products. But one thing I will not compromise on is security/reliability. I'll stick with CISCO/Mikrotik/Netgear/QNAP switches, thanks. [Side note: after recently listening to a podcast with General H.R. McMaster #1763 I am changing my stance on buying Chinese for nearly all products & for clients.]
QNAP QSW-M2116P-2T2S-US would be my suggestion if you need/want a cheaper switch that is not FS

6) Please stop assuming my specific use-case when one wasn't given. This is the reviews section. Not the lounge.
I wanted/needed CISCO. I don't like noise, I fixed it. Hoping to help someone with a similar problem.

These are not IOS switches are they?

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2022, 12:06:24 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 22 queries.