Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Pro AV Forum

Vertical Hanging Baffles vs Horizontal Placed Panels

(1/2) > >>

Masis Ingilizian:

I wasn't sure where to put this thread, but one of the articles on the website mentioned vertically hanged panels they were the best bang for buck way to treat ceilings making it sound like they were better than horzontally placed panels.

I was under impression that a horizontally placed panel will cover more surface area but obviously there are other reasons I am not aware of why vertical placement has its advantages. I am preusming because of how much more one can place in a given coverage area but please if anyone can care to elaborate.

Mac Kerr:

--- Quote from: Masis Ingilizian on January 29, 2022, 06:22:41 AM ---I wasn't sure where to put this thread, but one of the articles on the website mentioned vertically hanged panels they were the best bang for buck way to treat ceilings making it sound like they were better than horzontally placed panels.

I was under impression that a horizontally placed panel will cover more surface area but obviously there are other reasons I am not aware of why vertical placement has its advantages. I am preusming because of how much more one can place in a given coverage area but please if anyone can care to elaborate.

--- End quote ---

If the only reflections you are trying to suppress are perpendicular to the ceiling then, yes horizontal would be best, but that is not generally the case. Reflections happen at all angle off of surfaces. With reflection that are at angles you may catch more of them with vertical panels.

Mac

Dan Richardson:

--- Quote from: Masis Ingilizian on January 29, 2022, 06:22:41 AM ---I was under impression that a horizontally placed panel will cover more surface area but obviously there are other reasons I am not aware of why vertical placement has its advantages.

--- End quote ---

Depends on what you're trying to accomplish. If you're trying to shorten reverb times, raw surface area is what you want. You get double the surface area from a freely hanging panel. Placement is not particularly critical. If you're in a studio and trying to stop specific reflections, then flat on a surface is correct, and placement is everything.

Masis Ingilizian:

--- Quote from: Mac Kerr on January 29, 2022, 09:33:20 AM ---If the only reflections you are trying to suppress are perpendicular to the ceiling then, yes horizontal would be best, but that is not generally the case. Reflections happen at all angle off of surfaces. With reflection that are at angles you may catch more of them with vertical panels.

Mac

--- End quote ---

I never thought of it that way, thanks so much.

Masis Ingilizian:

--- Quote from: Dan Richardson on January 29, 2022, 11:10:01 AM ---Depends on what you're trying to accomplish. If you're trying to shorten reverb times, raw surface area is what you want. You get double the surface area from a freely hanging panel. Placement is not particularly critical. If you're in a studio and trying to stop specific reflections, then flat on a surface is correct, and placement is everything.

--- End quote ---

Still unsure of the goal at the moment, it depends on many things. I will try and get Ease model going if the price is right, and then if I can figure out which reflections to kill depnding on spectral content and return time then I might go with abosrobing some reflections. Otherwise the main goal is to bring down reverb time for now.

But thanks, I get the idea of freely hangning panels now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version