ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Punch-down tool for stranded wire  (Read 3987 times)

John Lackner

Punch-down tool for stranded wire
« on: January 26, 2022, 12:07:44 PM »

i am looking for a punch-down tool for punch-down tool that works with stranded wire. Whirlwind had one but it's no longer available. Is there any other manufacturer that is making one?
Do you HEAR what you SEE? "Listen with your eyes, look with your ears" - Captain Beefheart

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
Re: Punch-down tool for stranded wire
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 01:38:48 PM »

What is a punch-down tool?  Can you point me to an example please?  Link, picture or make/model.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 02:40:58 PM »

It's the punch down block that needs to be able to accept stranded wire. I don't know that using a different tool would make stranded wire work properly, as every cat5/6 punch down connection I've seen is for solid wire. (M66 and 110 are the 2 common styles, with 110 being the more current)

There may be other types of punch downs that can work with stranded wire of different types, each of course then requiring the specific tool for that connection.
Brian Jojade

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 06:25:20 PM »

It's the punch down block that needs to be able to accept stranded wire. I don't know that using a different tool would make stranded wire work properly, as every cat5/6 punch down connection I've seen is for solid wire. (M66 and 110 are the 2 common styles, with 110 being the more current)

Correct, it's not a matter of the tool but the block that takes stranded and the tool designed for it. If you look at how the "pins" on an M66 and 110 block work, they squeeze the wire crushing the insulation. The wire has to be solid for that to work. Stranded, being soft would just mush- insulation and all- and not allowing the insulation to break or crush so the clip would contact the wire.

I do remember the Whirlwind blocks as interesting but never had any experience with them.

-Hal

Bill Meeks

• Vidalia, Georgia - USA
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2022, 03:11:22 PM »

What is a punch-down tool?  Can you point me to an example please?  Link, picture or make/model.

Cable Matters 110 Punch Down Tool with 110 Blade --

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Punch-Down-Blade/dp/B0072K1QHM

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2022, 03:52:05 PM »

Cable Matters 110 Punch Down Tool with 110 Blade --

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Punch-Down-Blade/dp/B0072K1QHM

That is a punchdown tool, but I don't see where it is labeled "suitable for stranded wire". 110 punchdown blocks  rely on solid wire to make a good connection.

Mac

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2022, 07:07:58 PM »

Correct, it's not a matter of the tool but the block that takes stranded and the tool designed for it. If you look at how the "pins" on an M66 and 110 block work, they squeeze the wire crushing the insulation. The wire has to be solid for that to work. Stranded, being soft would just mush- insulation and all- and not allowing the insulation to break or crush so the clip would contact the wire.

I do remember the Whirlwind blocks as interesting but never had any experience with them.

-Hal

IIRC the Whirlwind punch-down products were by ADC

https://www.adckcl.com/in/en/solutions/broadcast/
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Bill Meeks

• Vidalia, Georgia - USA
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2022, 09:20:05 AM »

That is a punchdown tool, but I don't see where it is labeled "suitable for stranded wire". 110 punchdown blocks  rely on solid wire to make a good connection.

Mac

Agreed. I've never seen one for stranded wire either. Instead, I was simply posting a link to a typical punch down tool as Steve was asking what one was. I assume he was serious, but perhaps I missed his intent and he was being facetious.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2022, 09:25:30 AM »

Agreed. I've never seen one for stranded wire either. Instead, I was simply posting a link to a typical punch down tool as Steve was asking what one was. I assume he was serious, but perhaps I missed his intent and he was being facetious.

No, really wondering.  I thought I knew what he meant and wanted to be sure.  Telephone/network style terminal block wire punch-down tool.  Wasn't sure if it could have been some kind of crimping device - punch down onto a connector to lock the wire into it.  Because of the mention of stranded wire.

Thx for thinking about me!  :)

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2022, 10:08:34 AM »

i am looking for a punch-down tool for punch-down tool that works with stranded wire. Whirlwind had one but it's no longer available. Is there any other manufacturer that is making one?

There’s some confusion and assumptions going on here because you didn’t specify what type of punch down terminals you’re trying to use.  The whirlwind tool was for ADC QPC punch down terminals.  They could take stranded wire as they were designed for use with mic cable.  It’s a completely different system from the telco oriented 66 and 110 block systems.  I haven’t used QDC in years but a quick search shows that Clark Wire has the ADC tools listed on their website so they’re probably still available.  You’d need to contact them to find out for sure.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2022, 10:08:34 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.