Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Installed Sound/Contracting

Punch-down tool for stranded wire

<< < (2/4) > >>

Mac Kerr:

--- Quote from: Bill Meeks on January 27, 2022, 03:11:22 PM ---
Cable Matters 110 Punch Down Tool with 110 Blade --

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Punch-Down-Blade/dp/B0072K1QHM

--- End quote ---

That is a punchdown tool, but I don't see where it is labeled "suitable for stranded wire". 110 punchdown blocks  rely on solid wire to make a good connection.

Mac

Craig Hauber:

--- Quote from: Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC on January 26, 2022, 06:25:20 PM ---
Correct, it's not a matter of the tool but the block that takes stranded and the tool designed for it. If you look at how the "pins" on an M66 and 110 block work, they squeeze the wire crushing the insulation. The wire has to be solid for that to work. Stranded, being soft would just mush- insulation and all- and not allowing the insulation to break or crush so the clip would contact the wire.

I do remember the Whirlwind blocks as interesting but never had any experience with them.

-Hal

--- End quote ---

IIRC the Whirlwind punch-down products were by ADC

https://www.adckcl.com/in/en/solutions/broadcast/

Bill Meeks:

--- Quote from: Mac Kerr on January 27, 2022, 03:52:05 PM ---That is a punchdown tool, but I don't see where it is labeled "suitable for stranded wire". 110 punchdown blocks  rely on solid wire to make a good connection.

Mac

--- End quote ---

Agreed. I've never seen one for stranded wire either. Instead, I was simply posting a link to a typical punch down tool as Steve was asking what one was. I assume he was serious, but perhaps I missed his intent and he was being facetious.

Steve-White:

--- Quote from: Bill Meeks on January 28, 2022, 09:20:05 AM ---Agreed. I've never seen one for stranded wire either. Instead, I was simply posting a link to a typical punch down tool as Steve was asking what one was. I assume he was serious, but perhaps I missed his intent and he was being facetious.

--- End quote ---

No, really wondering.  I thought I knew what he meant and wanted to be sure.  Telephone/network style terminal block wire punch-down tool.  Wasn't sure if it could have been some kind of crimping device - punch down onto a connector to lock the wire into it.  Because of the mention of stranded wire.

Thx for thinking about me!  :)

Erik Jerde:

--- Quote from: John Lackner on January 26, 2022, 12:07:44 PM ---i am looking for a punch-down tool for punch-down tool that works with stranded wire. Whirlwind had one but it's no longer available. Is there any other manufacturer that is making one?

--- End quote ---

Thereís some confusion and assumptions going on here because you didnít specify what type of punch down terminals youíre trying to use.  The whirlwind tool was for ADC QPC punch down terminals.  They could take stranded wire as they were designed for use with mic cable.  Itís a completely different system from the telco oriented 66 and 110 block systems.  I havenít used QDC in years but a quick search shows that Clark Wire has the ADC tools listed on their website so theyíre probably still available.  Youíd need to contact them to find out for sure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version