Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Installed Sound/Contracting

Punch-down tool for stranded wire

<< < (4/4)

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC:

--- Quote from: Scott Holtzman on January 31, 2022, 02:51:05 PM ---
I have used older 66 style blocks and punched 8451, I use the non cutting side of the tool making sure the wire is completely seated in the IDC then a pair of nippers to do my trim.  To finish a blast with some air to make sure no stray clippings and a clear cover.   The older, larger blocks have 5 or 6 rows so if you have a bridging application, like in a conference room it's a convenient and clean way to bridge.  You can also do fault isolation with the bridge clips and the whipped cream is you can use your butt set to troubleshoot.

--- End quote ---

I've never done that, but I remember a post long ago from somebody who worked in broadcast. He said he had no problems with it but there were comments from people who reported intermittents.

As for tinning, that not only would make the stranded solid but of course eliminate the insulation. If you then do like Scott suggests (actually you could use the cutter blade) it should work. But that's a lot of work.

-Hal

Brian Jojade:

--- Quote from: Steve-White on January 31, 2022, 06:39:38 PM ---Maybe it would work if the wired were tinned first?

--- End quote ---

You should never tin wire that will be used in a compressed setting.  The compression can cause fractures that end up corroding and result in a poor connection over time.

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC:

--- Quote from: Brian Jojade on February 03, 2022, 02:36:37 AM ---You should never tin wire that will be used in a compressed setting.  The compression can cause fractures that end up corroding and result in a poor connection over time.

--- End quote ---

I defer to your judgement.  :)

-Hal

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version