ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Punch-down tool for stranded wire  (Read 3988 times)

John Lackner

Re: Punch-down tool for stranded wire
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2022, 07:27:02 PM »

There’s some confusion and assumptions going on here because you didn’t specify what type of punch down terminals you’re trying to use.  The whirlwind tool was for ADC QPC punch down terminals.  They could take stranded wire as they were designed for use with mic cable.  It’s a completely different system from the telco oriented 66 and 110 block systems.  I haven’t used QDC in years but a quick search shows that Clark Wire has the ADC tools listed on their website so they’re probably still available.  You’d need to contact them to find out for sure.

It's for stranded "install" mic cable, sometimes called control cable. Going from mic input wall plates to the terminal block. Thanks for the info.
Do you HEAR what you SEE? "Listen with your eyes, look with your ears" - Captain Beefheart

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2022, 09:26:49 PM »

It's for stranded "install" mic cable, sometimes called control cable. Going from mic input wall plates to the terminal block. Thanks for the info.

If by "install mic cable" you mean 8451 I don't think it will be reliable in a punch down.

Mac

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2022, 02:51:05 PM »

If by "install mic cable" you mean 8451 I don't think it will be reliable in a punch down.

Mac

I have used older 66 style blocks and punched 8451, I use the non cutting side of the tool making sure the wire is completely seated in the IDC then a pair of nippers to do my trim.  To finish a blast with some air to make sure no stray clippings and a clear cover.   The older, larger blocks have 5 or 6 rows so if you have a bridging application, like in a conference room it's a convenient and clean way to bridge.  You can also do fault isolation with the bridge clips and the whipped cream is you can use your butt set to troubleshoot. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2022, 06:39:38 PM »

Maybe it would work if the wired were tinned first?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2022, 07:48:58 PM »

I have used older 66 style blocks and punched 8451, I use the non cutting side of the tool making sure the wire is completely seated in the IDC then a pair of nippers to do my trim.  To finish a blast with some air to make sure no stray clippings and a clear cover.   The older, larger blocks have 5 or 6 rows so if you have a bridging application, like in a conference room it's a convenient and clean way to bridge.  You can also do fault isolation with the bridge clips and the whipped cream is you can use your butt set to troubleshoot.

I admit I'm old, but 8451 connections I've done were on Christmas Trees.

Mac

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2022, 02:09:08 AM »

I've never done that, but I remember a post long ago from somebody who worked in broadcast. He said he had no problems with it but there were comments from people who reported intermittents.

As for tinning, that not only would make the stranded solid but of course eliminate the insulation. If you then do like Scott suggests (actually you could use the cutter blade) it should work. But that's a lot of work.

-Hal

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2022, 02:36:37 AM »

Maybe it would work if the wired were tinned first?

You should never tin wire that will be used in a compressed setting.  The compression can cause fractures that end up corroding and result in a poor connection over time.
Brian Jojade

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2022, 03:49:28 AM »

You should never tin wire that will be used in a compressed setting.  The compression can cause fractures that end up corroding and result in a poor connection over time.

I defer to your judgement.  :)

-Hal

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2022, 03:49:28 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.