Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Installed Sound/Contracting

Punch-down tool for stranded wire

(1/4) > >>

John Lackner:
i am looking for a punch-down tool for punch-down tool that works with stranded wire. Whirlwind had one but it's no longer available. Is there any other manufacturer that is making one?

Steve-White:
What is a punch-down tool?  Can you point me to an example please?  Link, picture or make/model.

Brian Jojade:
It's the punch down block that needs to be able to accept stranded wire. I don't know that using a different tool would make stranded wire work properly, as every cat5/6 punch down connection I've seen is for solid wire. (M66 and 110 are the 2 common styles, with 110 being the more current)

There may be other types of punch downs that can work with stranded wire of different types, each of course then requiring the specific tool for that connection.

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC:

--- Quote from: Brian Jojade on January 26, 2022, 02:40:58 PM ---It's the punch down block that needs to be able to accept stranded wire. I don't know that using a different tool would make stranded wire work properly, as every cat5/6 punch down connection I've seen is for solid wire. (M66 and 110 are the 2 common styles, with 110 being the more current)

--- End quote ---

Correct, it's not a matter of the tool but the block that takes stranded and the tool designed for it. If you look at how the "pins" on an M66 and 110 block work, they squeeze the wire crushing the insulation. The wire has to be solid for that to work. Stranded, being soft would just mush- insulation and all- and not allowing the insulation to break or crush so the clip would contact the wire.

I do remember the Whirlwind blocks as interesting but never had any experience with them.

-Hal

Bill Meeks:

--- Quote from: Steve-White on January 26, 2022, 01:38:48 PM ---What is a punch-down tool?  Can you point me to an example please?  Link, picture or make/model.

--- End quote ---

Cable Matters 110 Punch Down Tool with 110 Blade --

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Punch-Down-Blade/dp/B0072K1QHM

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version