ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Very small powered monitors  (Read 3853 times)

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: Very small powered monitors
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2022, 07:13:07 PM »

I have been focusing on 8-inch class powered speakers, but other options will be considered; trying to be open minded about this.

If you are looking to reduce size and weight of your rig, have you considered in ear monitors?  Doesn't get much smaller and lighter than that, and at the same time reduces stage volume tremendously.

Yes, it may take getting used to, but once you do, it provides the most consistent experience from venue to venue.
Brian Jojade

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2022, 08:07:35 PM »

If you are looking to reduce size and weight of your rig, have you considered in ear monitors?  Doesn't get much smaller and lighter than that, and at the same time reduces stage volume tremendously.

Yes, it may take getting used to, but once you do, it provides the most consistent experience from venue to venue.

Not an option for the main band I work with, but I use in ears frequently and have gear for wired IEM mixes as needed.

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2022, 08:08:25 PM »

The DXR8 is nice too, but doesn't have a decent wedge angle.  Acoustic spacer required.

I love the DXR series, but, yes, the lack of monitor angle on the DXR8 is a deal breaker for me. 

Dave Jarrell

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2022, 08:14:27 PM »

I love the DXR series, but, yes, the lack of monitor angle on the DXR8 is a deal breaker for me.
I made kick stands out of all thread that screw into the yoke mount holes…….I had to experiment with the length, but it was easy and inexpensive.  Also got rubber caps for the end of the all thread so they won’t scratch floors…….

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2022, 08:18:24 PM »

I'm a big fan of both the ZX1s and ZXA1s.  I have half a dozen of each, and use them mostly as monitors.  When appropriately high passed and powered (QSC PLX1804 for the passive boxes) they work surprisingly well and keep the musicians happy.  I do use something bigger for a drum monitor, but they are fine for everything else (I haven't done any punk or metal gigs in decades!).

They also work well as mains for gigs that don't need a lot of output.  I had a series of carol concerts outdoors before Christmas this year, and a pair was just the ticket for an acapella quartet. 

GTD

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2022, 11:14:53 PM »

I own/have owned QSC K 10's, DXR10's, DXR8, PRX712's and some others of that similar ilk which I have used and still use as monitors.
I purchased a couple of Alto TS310's last year as I needed 2 more inexpensive monitors. They weigh 26lbs and have side handles so easy to move around.
I can honestly say they compare very favorably with all of the aforementioned models and I am really pleased with them. I haven't used them for FOH and probably wouldn't choose to but for monitor use at this price, I don't think you can go wrong. They are clear, offer decent lows for a 10" and are quite loud - certainly more than enough for monitor duty - also have a nice built in angle to them.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Richard Penrose

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2022, 02:38:15 AM »

I can also backup the Alto speakers. I have a pair of the older Alto TS210’s and they get used around 3-4 times a week. I use them as wedge monitors, FOH for small acoustic gigs and as practice amps. They have been totally reliable and I have had zero issues with the three I own. On a couple of occasions I made an error had had the, fully turn to 100% in the mic gain setting for a short time and they limiters did their job and protected the drivers!
I recently did a gig at a venue who had the newer TS310’s for wedge monitors.. I had a fully miked drum kit and bass guitar going through mine and I was very impressed at how well they handled this!

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2022, 08:37:17 AM »

Speakers I have been investigating:
EV ZXA1
dB Tech Flexsys FM8
QSC CP8
JBL IRX108BT

If looking at dB Technologies, their DVX8-HP is definitely worth a look - more $$ than the Flexys range but very decent sound and surprisingly loud for its size.
A friend I work with a lot has several, used as small venue mains, front/outfills for the larger venues, and monitors too.
HTH,
David.

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2022, 08:38:08 AM »

Background: main PA is either X32 rack or Zed12FX into 2 x DZR10 over JBL PRX715XLF as needed.
Genre: typically jazz combo and small swing band.
Needs: clean and modest volume stage monitors, mostly for vocals and horns
Priorities, in order: sound quality, light weight, durable, loud enough.
Budget: ~$1000-1400 for a pair

I'm very fond of my DAS Action 8A. Coax, real wood, made in Italy. Inexpensive. Very sweet sounding.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2022, 09:36:37 AM »

Thanks, everyone, I will check these models out.  I am surprised at how well the Altos are thought of.  I will look into them locally.  If they will do the job at their price point, it may be worth a look.  That said, the DVX D8-HP and DAS Action 8a are some pretty serious speakers!  Honestly, I wish Yamaha made a DZR8 or had monitor angles on their DXR8.  I love the sound and weight of the DXR series.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2022, 09:36:37 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.