Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Very small powered monitors

(1/7) > >>

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young:
Over the last year, my primary portable PA for live band use has been downsized quite a bit.  One area where I think I can shed weight is in monitors for some of my smaller jazz gigs.  I am looking at some compact powered cabs and would like to get thoughts, opinions, and input on lightweight and diminutive cabs.  I had a pair of passive ZX1s in the past and they were amazing.  I also had a pair of B***ringer B208Ds that were very useful, but did not have a great monitor angle and not enough volume.  The EV ZXA1 would probably be a good example of the size/weight/volume I would like, but they are a bit troublesome to find right now.  I have been focusing on 8-inch class powered speakers, but other options will be considered; trying to be open minded about this.

Background: main PA is either X32 rack or Zed12FX into 2 x DZR10 over JBL PRX715XLF as needed.
Genre: typically jazz combo and small swing band.
Needs: clean and modest volume stage monitors, mostly for vocals and horns
Priorities, in order: sound quality, light weight, durable, loud enough.
Budget: ~$1000-1400 for a pair

Speakers I have been investigating:
EV ZXA1
dB Tech Flexsys FM8
QSC CP8
JBL IRX108BT

Any thoughts on these models?  Any other cabs in this segment I should look at?

Thanks!

Rick Earl:
We own a couple EV ZXA1s and QSC CP8s.  They get mostly used as utility speakers, and I have very little issues with them, they get used interchangeably, so no performance differences that matter to us. Other than for an occasional solo singer, they do not get much use as musical monitors, mostly spoken word, backstage fills, etc.  The small(ish) speaker we use the most is the Yamaha DZR10.  They are larger and more expensive than you want, but sound fantastic, and excel as a wedge in many situations,  we have gotten numerous compliments and zero complaints. 

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young:
Rick, thanks for the input.  As noted above, I own a pair of the DZR10s and, yes, they are stunning and are my go-to mains speakers.  I am glad to hear that the QSC CP series is decent and worth a look, apparently.

Rick Earl:

--- Quote from: Chrysander 'C.R.' Young on January 26, 2022, 01:08:52 PM ---Rick, thanks for the input.  As noted above, I own a pair of the DZR10s and, yes, they are stunning and are my go-to mains speakers.  I am glad to hear that the QSC CP series is decent and worth a look, apparently.

--- End quote ---

The hard part right now is finding them in stock somewhere. 

Rick Powell:

--- Quote from: Rick Earl on January 26, 2022, 01:35:33 PM ---The hard part right now is finding them in stock somewhere.

--- End quote ---

One good thing about getting additional DZR 10s - it's good to have several of the same speaker, in the rare event that one of your mains goes out you could replace it in a pinch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version