ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mipro ACT-828 Question  (Read 1919 times)

Lee Richard

Mipro ACT-828 Question
« on: January 24, 2022, 05:03:33 PM »

Hello. Recently picked up an ACT-828 and 2x TA-80 plug on transmitters for my smaart rig, along with the USB to RS-485 adapter, and now have a question if anyone here might know. The Mipro website doesn't really provide too much info (none really).

Is there a way to export the scan, or even save it in the RCS2.NET Software? I would love to import it into WWB for coordination.
And speaking of WWB, does anyone have an equipment profile for the ACT-800 series? I contacted shure and they only had them for the 300 and 700 series. Making an equipment profile is almost impossible as all the data isn't available from Mipro.

Thanks

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
Re: Mipro ACT-828 Question
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 05:53:17 PM »

{...} And speaking of WWB, does anyone have an equipment profile for the ACT-800 series? {...}

It isn't entirely clear from the the MIPRO website, but it appears as though the ACT-800 series equipment might use the same factory Group/Channel assignments as the ACT-700 (even despite the different transmission characteristics). If that is the case then you should be okay using the ACT-700 WWB profile for your ACT-800 equipment (if anything, given the difference in transmission characteristics, using the ACT-700 profile might produce over-cautious results).

Just out of curiosity, did Shure mention where to find those other MIPRO profiles?

-Russ

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 06:37:38 PM »

Hello. Recently picked up an ACT-828 and 2x TA-80 plug on transmitters for my smaart rig, along with the USB to RS-485 adapter, and now have a question if anyone here might know. The Mipro website doesn't really provide too much info (none really).

Is there a way to export the scan, or even save it in the RCS2.NET Software? I would love to import it into WWB for coordination.
And speaking of WWB, does anyone have an equipment profile for the ACT-800 series? I contacted shure and they only had them for the 300 and 700 series. Making an equipment profile is almost impossible as all the data isn't available from Mipro.

Thanks

What use is a SMAART scan in WWB for coord? Wireless Workbench and other RF coordination software would want an RF scan from an RF spectrum analyzer, not an audio frequency scan from SMAART or any other audio analyzing tool.

Mac

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 07:19:30 PM »

What use is a SMAART scan in WWB for coord? Wireless Workbench and other RF coordination software would want an RF scan from an RF spectrum analyzer, not an audio frequency scan from SMAART or any other audio analyzing tool.

I'm not particularly familiar with the ACT-800 series, but it sounds like the OP wants to use the the RX itself to do an RF scan using MIPRO's software and then export that scan into WWB.

-Russ

Lee Richard

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2022, 12:40:57 PM »

Mac

Nothing to do with Smaart scans. I mentioned smaart because this wireless is going in my personal kit. Much like the Lectrosonics TM400, the Mipro 800 series is good for measurement mics as there is no companding for rf transmission.

I am referring to the Mipro software that is used to control the transmitter, much like WSM for Sennheiser, or WWB for Shure receivers. I just want to incorporate the RF scan from that software, but I don't see an option to save the data.

It isn't entirely clear from the the MIPRO website, but it appears as though the ACT-800 series equipment might use the same factory Group/Channel assignments as the ACT-700 (even despite the different transmission characteristics). If that is the case then you should be okay using the ACT-700 WWB profile for your ACT-800 equipment (if anything, given the difference in transmission characteristics, using the ACT-700 profile might produce over-cautious results).

Just out of curiosity, did Shure mention where to find those other MIPRO profiles?

-Russ

The 700 series is Analog. 800 is digital, so different beast altogether. Shure support send me a sharepoint folder with some profiles in it, but I didn't save them and now the link is expired. If you need them, I'm sure they will share them with you.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 12:46:09 PM by Lee Richard »

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2022, 01:32:36 PM »

{...} The 700 series is Analog. 800 is digital, so different beast altogether. Shure support send me a sharepoint folder with some profiles in it, but I didn't save them and now the link is expired. If you need them, I'm sure they will share them with you.

I'm aware they're different beasts, but if they use the same factory Group/Channel assignments then it doesn't much matter for the purposes of generating an equipment profile. The easiest way for end-users to create equipment profiles for WWB that I know if is using the Intermodulation Calculator for RF Devices Spreadsheet made available by RFcoordinationNYC, which helps to calculate the profile information based on the published Group/Channel assignments. Thus, even though the transmission characteristics are different, the starting point for the profiles for the two systems will be the same if they do, in fact, have the same factory Group/Channel assignments (which MIPRO is pretty coy about, for some reason). Digital transmissions produce a different form of IMD than analogue ones and can often be packed closer together because of it, so typically the worst thing that will happen when using an analogue profile for a digital system is that the coordination won't achieve maximum spectrum efficiency.

As for the files Shure sent you, I was mostly curious because I maintain a repository of WWB profiles available to the public under a Creative Commons license which includes MIPRO 300 and 700 profiles, and I wanted to see if (a) the ones Shure were giving out are the same as the ones in the repository, and if so (b) if they were giving the attribution required under the license.

-Russ

Lee Richard

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2022, 02:08:42 PM »

I'm aware they're different beasts, but if they use the same factory Group/Channel assignments then it doesn't much matter for the purposes of generating an equipment profile. The easiest way for end-users to create equipment profiles for WWB that I know if is using the Intermodulation Calculator for RF Devices Spreadsheet made available by RFcoordinationNYC, which helps to calculate the profile information based on the published Group/Channel assignments. Thus, even though the transmission characteristics are different, the starting point for the profiles for the two systems will be the same if they do, in fact, have the same factory Group/Channel assignments (which MIPRO is pretty coy about, for some reason). Digital transmissions produce a different form of IMD than analogue ones and can often be packed closer together because of it, so typically the worst thing that will happen when using an analogue profile for a digital system is that the coordination won't achieve maximum spectrum efficiency.

As for the files Shure sent you, I was mostly curious because I maintain a repository of WWB profiles available to the public under a Creative Commons license which includes MIPRO 300 and 700 profiles, and I wanted to see if (a) the ones Shure were giving out are the same as the ones in the repository, and if so (b) if they were giving the attribution required under the license.

-Russ

Well, the ACT-828 I have is in band 5F.
Frequencies are found on page 2 here

And depending on the model in the 700 series, it varies. According to the Frequency Chart Summary from Avlex, the Mipro US Distributor. They have a page here that lists all the frequency documents for download.

Just looking at the 5NU Frequency chart for the ACT-7, it isn't the same at all unfortunately.

I actually came across that spreadsheet you linked a few weeks ago while doing some extensive google searching, but I really couldn't find too much info to plug into the spreadsheet regarding the specs. Same goes with trying to make an equipment profile in WWB. The data it is asking for just isn't available from tech documents from Mipro. When I tried to contact them through their main website in Taiwan, I was referred to my local distributor who unfortunately doesn't do much beyond selling basic units, and had no clue, even regarding using the RCS2.NET software and usb dongle that I purchased from him.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 12:01:49 PM by Lee Richard »

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2022, 03:57:35 PM »

Well, the ACT-828 I have is in band 5F.
Frequencies are found on page 2 here{...}

Just for future reference that wasn't quite the right link; the Group/Channel assignments of the older ACT-800 bands can be found here.

{...} I actually came across that spreadsheet you linked a few weeks ago while doing some extensive google searching, but I really couldn't find too much info to plug into the spreadsheet regarding the specs. {...}

That spreadsheet has multiple different uses, but for the purposes of create equipment profiles all you need to do is enter a Group's worth of Channel frequencies into the green cells in C11-26, hit the Calculate button in E7, right down the results in the "MIN Channel & IMD Spacing Calculated" section J22-L26, then repeat for all the rest of the Groups. You can ignore all the other green fields (since those are for entering the values you're trying to calculate).

The ACT-800 Band 5F has some 12-Channel Groups and some 16-Channel Groups, so the smallest calculated value for each of "MIN Channel", "MIN 2T3O", "MIN 2T5O", and "MIN 3T3O" of all the 12-Channel calculations becomes the channel spacing, 2T3O, 2T5O, and 3T3O for one WWB calculation setting (probably "Robust"), the smallest calculated values of all the 16-Channel calculations becomes the values for another (probably "Standard"), and the third you'll have to judge based on experience (or err on the side of caution and make it the same as one of the other ones).

If you're happy with your results (and are okay with releasing them under a Creative Commons license) please submit a pull request and I'll add them to the repository.

-Russ

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2022, 07:07:33 PM »

Curious how the MiPro is working for Smaart measurements. I've heard differing reports as to whether the transmitter truly does work similarly to the Lectro.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2022, 07:07:33 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.