ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: More cancelled gigs  (Read 2095 times)

Jim McKeveny

Re: More cancelled gigs
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2022, 11:49:48 AM »

This is the time to raise prices. Every other industry now has trucking surcharges/adjustments. REAL labor costs, REAL health risks, REAL interruption risks, need to be reflected in pricing. Catchup on all the past absorptions. If not now, never. (And please never complain about price again).

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2022, 07:06:04 PM »

This is the time to raise prices. Every other industry now has trucking surcharges/adjustments. REAL labor costs, REAL health risks, REAL interruption risks, need to be reflected in pricing. Catchup on all the past absorptions (presenting as inflation now normally regressing toward mean). There will never again be in-our-lifetimes  another gross inflection point like this, where all economic maps need to be redrawn, hopefully in fairness. If not now, never. (And never bitch about compensation again).

If you don't raise your prices each year at least by the rate of inflation, you are getting paid less each year.  Now, for the past many years, inflation was not very high, so you may not have directly noticed that you weren't making as much each year, but it was happening.

This year, with inflation soaring into the double digits, it will be easier to see the direct impact.  YOUR costs on everything are set to rise, so make sure you pass those costs on to the customers.

It may be tough for a while though, as there are those that are starving for work and might be willing to take ANYTHING at a lower price just to get the work.  But, it does seem that in many areas, there are less players currently in the market.  Less competition coinciding with a growing demand for work means increasing prices faster than inflation should be easily possible.

Brian Jojade

Matthew Knischewsky

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2022, 11:48:54 PM »

I'm in Ontario as well. I did 2 events in November and the last one before that was March 2020.
I have an event booked for this Saturday but I can't get ahold of the organizer now for 3 days. I only have 1 other event booked for March. Let's see how this plays out.

Ontario is at an in-between phase at the moment where gathering restrictions have been lifted on some things which is good but event organizers are wary of putting anything on. Last summer there was a rush when restrictions were lifted, I'm not feeling that at all this time.

Mark L Oliver

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2022, 06:35:45 PM »

I'm in Ontario also.  My last show was Feb. 8, 2020. Scheduling has been juggled numerous times and currently the hope is for an April start. Uncertainty is difficult to manage.

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2022, 02:32:44 PM »

And cancelled for today.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2022, 02:51:55 PM »

My gig on Sunday has postponed til... much later.  Today's show for the Lunar New Year is a go, though.

Positive Covid test rate in my county of ~22%.  I have one worker who won't come back until rates are under 5%.  Oddly, my state won't give her unemployment benefits, but if she is terminated, suspended or furloughed for refusing the vaccine she'd qualify for instant benefits.
"Art has always held a tenuous position between acts of subversion and status symbol collected by those who profit from the very status quo the art purports to subvert." - Stephen Colbert

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2022, 03:42:46 PM »

My gig on Sunday has postponed til... much later.  Today's show for the Lunar New Year is a go, though.

Positive Covid test rate in my county of ~22%.  I have one worker who won't come back until rates are under 5%.  Oddly, my state won't give her unemployment benefits, but if she is terminated, suspended or furloughed for refusing the vaccine she'd qualify for instant benefits.

The word "benighted" springs to mind.

Edit: Also regarding your state, a former Kansas teacher allegedly led an all-woman ISIS fighting battalion in Syria.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 04:16:32 PM by Dan Mortensen »

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2022, 12:48:43 PM »

I'm in favor of people living at their comfort level, but I find looking at one metric and setting a firm threshold a bit simplistic.  In my state, positivity rates vary greatly by county-some counties have rates 1/3rd those of others, yet the cases per 100,000 population is fairly uniform across the state.  I think unemployment thing makes sense (if we look at it outside the political lense of covid anyway).  An employee can't just say "I'm afraid to work" and get paid; however, if the employer (who ultimately pays unemployment costs) essentially changes conditions of employment to something the employee can't do (say they move the job to a different city, or change work schedules) then unemployment until the employee finds suitable work elsewhere seems reasonable.
Steve Swaffer

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2022, 07:14:27 PM »

I'm in favor of people living at their comfort level, but I find looking at one metric and setting a firm threshold a bit simplistic.  In my state, positivity rates vary greatly by county-some counties have rates 1/3rd those of others, yet the cases per 100,000 population is fairly uniform across the state.  I think unemployment thing makes sense (if we look at it outside the political lense of covid anyway).  An employee can't just say "I'm afraid to work" and get paid; however, if the employer (who ultimately pays unemployment costs) essentially changes conditions of employment to something the employee can't do (say they move the job to a different city, or change work schedules) then unemployment until the employee finds suitable work elsewhere seems reasonable.

I'm not taking a position of "is 20% too much, too little, or just right".  But it's the level of about a year ago when hospitals were turning away elective patients and even critical care needs because they don't have STAFF.

What matters to some, say, long Covid, doesn't really matter to those who view *death* as the only metric that matters... so pick the metric ya like, and see that it's very high and at or near historical levels and that *should* indicate that circumstances, conditions, and situations that put lots of unrelated folks together is a very bad idea from a public health standpoint.

The point about unemployment - if an employer requires particular PPE or other vaccinations they are within their "at will employment" rights to terminate the worker and protest the unemployment benefit claim because the worker refused a lawful employment requirement.  So a worker that quits or is fired over PPE will not get benefits for 13 weeks, but if they refuse a required Covid vaccine they get benefits immediately.  That is horse shit.

Oh, the public school band/orchestra concerts are going on as planned, but tomorrow schools are closed because we might get 8" of snow.  Might.  A bunch of schools are closed anyway because the District has over 1,000 teachers and staff out sick or isolating due to positive test results...

EDIT PS:  We got the snow.  Looked out the window and it'll take more coffee before I start digging out my car...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 11:27:09 AM by Tim McCulloch »
"Art has always held a tenuous position between acts of subversion and status symbol collected by those who profit from the very status quo the art purports to subvert." - Stephen Colbert

Bailey Lukens

• Classic LAB
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2022, 08:19:19 PM »

In U.S, where I'm based, we've had really no lockdowns since the first one in 2020. However, a lot of venues around here have had to reschedule acts either due to the act being exposed to COVID, or staff getting COVID.

Many venues I work in require vaccination for employees. For patrons - masks, or depending on artist, vaccination or negative test.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2022, 08:19:19 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 19 queries.