ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Van with wheelchair lift for cargo  (Read 3057 times)

Dave Guilford

Van with wheelchair lift for cargo
« on: January 23, 2022, 06:58:35 PM »

Anyone have experience?  I see a few mobility type transit vans around that have a wheelchair lift.  All my gear is on wheels, but 2x18 subs and 2x15 tops ..  too slow?  Great solution?   

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
Re: Van with wheelchair lift for cargo
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2022, 08:01:59 PM »

Anyone have experience?  I see a few mobility type transit vans around that have a wheelchair lift.  All my gear is on wheels, but 2x18 subs and 2x15 tops ..  too slow?  Great solution?
I built a ramp that clips on the bumper.....
3-1/2' x 6'
Slides in the truck and gets ratchet strapped to the side once all the wheeled boxes are in.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 08:03:16 PM »

Wheel

Chair

Lifts

Are

Slooooooooooooow
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2022, 10:21:22 PM »

2 problems with the wheelchair lifts.  1. They are extremely slow.  2. They are extremely bulky and use up space within the van, reducing the viable cargo space tremendously.

A van is low enough to the ground that a small ramp usually makes it easy enough to get stuff in and out without the need for the lift.
Brian Jojade

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 02:03:05 AM »

2 problems with the wheelchair lifts.  1. They are extremely slow.  2. They are extremely bulky and use up space within the van, reducing the viable cargo space tremendously.

A van is low enough to the ground that a small ramp usually makes it easy enough to get stuff in and out without the need for the lift.

I am old, fat, have arthritis everywhere and I can lift a single 18 into a 1 ton van.  Wha you need is a 14' box with a good quality lift.  I got an Isuzu city box truck and it really changed everything.  During season we still have to rent trucks for capacity but having an economical box truck that is cheaper to run than the e350 powerstroke.  I was all over that like my crew at a buffet.  Do you know how many lobster tails you can shove in a Carhartt?  It's a whole different story but it's all connected. 

Get a box truck with a lift, seriously you will love life. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Dave Guilford

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 07:22:50 AM »

I am old, fat, have arthritis everywhere and I can lift a single 18 into a 1 ton van.  Wha you need is a 14' box with a good quality lift.  I got an Isuzu city box truck and it really changed everything.  During season we still have to rent trucks for capacity but having an economical box truck that is cheaper to run than the e350 powerstroke.  I was all over that like my crew at a buffet.  Do you know how many lobster tails you can shove in a Carhartt?  It's a whole different story but it's all connected. 

Good tip.  Lifts scare because if it ever fails- no gig.  Generally I like renting uhaul trucks with ramp, and my trailer has a ramp door (which is actually my fav).   But trailers and uhaul aren’t exactly .. suave. 

Currently using an express van and 5x8 trailer.  Time for upgrades though and a tall van makes a lot of sense for me .. for smaller gigs it means nothing to tow

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 06:50:36 PM »

Yup.  The only real downside to a box truck is that there are some areas you can't go due to height.

The cost difference to operate a small box truck/van or a panel van is pretty much the same. The box makes it infinitely easier to pack a load vs the van.

Ramp vs lift depends on what gear you're moving.  Ramps are generally much faster for unloading, and sometimes faster for loading, but require more effort to push stuff around.  If you've got really heavy stuff, then the lift is the way to go.

But yeah, if the lift goes bad, better have a backup ramp ready or you'll be hating life.  Had to deal with that personally in December when the lift on a 24' truck decided to call it quits at load in, requiring us to ramp everything out of the truck in a snowstorm.  Good times.
Brian Jojade

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2022, 07:31:39 PM »

Yup.  The only real downside to a box truck is that there are some areas you can't go due to height.

The cost difference to operate a small box truck/van or a panel van is pretty much the same. The box makes it infinitely easier to pack a load vs the van.

Ramp vs lift depends on what gear you're moving.  Ramps are generally much faster for unloading, and sometimes faster for loading, but require more effort to push stuff around.  If you've got really heavy stuff, then the lift is the way to go.

But yeah, if the lift goes bad, better have a backup ramp ready or you'll be hating life.  Had to deal with that personally in December when the lift on a 24' truck decided to call it quits at load in, requiring us to ramp everything out of the truck in a snowstorm.  Good times.

For sure, we always have the ramp for docks that aren't the right height and as you stated, the lift could break. 

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Dave Guilford

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2022, 09:25:24 PM »

Interesting point. Cost of ownership has only a little importance to me. “Convenient loading” is worth a lot to me, and I’m ready to pay for it if needed.  A box truck is pretty low on the list of upgrades. The only way it worked into that list is because they’re much less expensive option these days.  Transit type vans are way expensive now .. huge growth in delivery industry, van life fad, plus regular folks like me who need business uses.  Trailers around here are also crazy expensive these days.  I see some 7x14 in the $8,000-10,000 range new!  Plus a truck to tow it .. oof. 

Currently uses a short wheel base Chevy express van and a 5x8 trailer that worked for 95% of gigs, but now closer to 50% of gigs.  Business is growing.

I’m pretty locked into the idea of a long wheel base High Roof van.  With one of those swing out and fold out ramps.  It makes a mini box truck.  Plus I live in a neighborhood and a transit van is nicer than a box truck parked out front. 

I’m pretty sure I just need 2 vehicles and 2 trailer ...

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2022, 04:53:28 AM »

Interesting point. Cost of ownership has only a little importance to me. “Convenient loading” is worth a lot to me, and I’m ready to pay for it if needed.  A box truck is pretty low on the list of upgrades. The only way it worked into that list is because they’re much less expensive option these days.  Transit type vans are way expensive now .. huge growth in delivery industry, van life fad, plus regular folks like me who need business uses.  Trailers around here are also crazy expensive these days.  I see some 7x14 in the $8,000-10,000 range new!  Plus a truck to tow it .. oof. 

Currently uses a short wheel base Chevy express van and a 5x8 trailer that worked for 95% of gigs, but now closer to 50% of gigs.  Business is growing.

I’m pretty locked into the idea of a long wheel base High Roof van.  With one of those swing out and fold out ramps.  It makes a mini box truck.  Plus I live in a neighborhood and a transit van is nicer than a box truck parked out front. 

I’m pretty sure I just need 2 vehicles and 2 trailer ...
We all keep kicking the can down the road.  12 years ago I only had two Chevy Venture mini vans with air shocks.  We did a shocking number of bar gigs with those things overloaded.  The brake lines exploded on one, that was me driving and somehow I got it home 20 miles with no brakes the second one I sold.

We then picked up a nice dodge mini ram postal van, it was a real cargo van with a cage.  Didn't carry as much as the venture but was great until some lady testing creamed it from behind.  We even drove it back from CA when we had a gig near NAPA, didn't have a bit of rust. 

A little bit later a Ford E350 with a 6 liter diesel joined the fleet and Bessie came along, a 1985 ford 7 liter diesel U-haul box truck.  We were doing well with that until the pandemic hit and we got a cheap loan from the SBA and in addition to covering expenses while we were down Bessie was replaced with the Isuzu and a lift gate.  I spent my time refurbing an Astro van we love.  I also pull a small trailer with my Acadia occasionally and that's our current fleet.

Next purchase will be the largest non-CDL truck we can get our hands on.  Could use one more panel van but the prices are absurd now.  If we get busy will get one of those Nissan's new.  They have as much space as a standard cargo van and good on gas.

I am sure at some point you won't be able to keep all your vehicles at your residence.  My house sits off the road so I get away with a lot.  I have had the box trucked parked beside my house many nights.  I live in a neighborhood too but the only reference is no commercial vehicles with business names on them. 

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2022, 04:53:28 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.