ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Help looking for best PA speaker and sub  (Read 2337 times)

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Help looking for best PA speaker and sub
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2022, 10:26:48 AM »

Once you have used the grant money to buy 2 tops and a sub do you have funds you can use to supplement the system? Maybe by selling your current gear? Does the grant money have to be spent on brand new equipment, or can you buy used?
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Scott Bolt

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2022, 02:06:04 PM »

The ZLX you have is a budget box and is not in the same league as the speakers you are looking at getting.  The sub you are currently using is also among the low end of the market spectrum.  The good news is that the types of gear you are thinking about are all going to be a huge improvement.

8K is sufficient to get into a good set of speakers.

It is really kind of important to understand the kinds of music this will be used for and the size of the venue.

Lets start with the tops.

I would rate the speakers in this order:  DZR, SRX, K.  While I think the SRX holds it's own with the DZR, the DZR comes with a 7 year warranty which is quite a bit better than the SRX.

You said portability was important, so I am not sure I could recommend the SRX828p (double 18" sub).

For subs, I am going to say DXS18 and get 2.  I know you said the grant is specific, but it would be well worth the time to tell them that "for portability reasons I request permission to get 2 smaller subs instead of 1 larger one".

If you MUST stay within the 2 tops and 1 sub, then I would recommend 2 SRX812p and a single SRX828p.

With a budget of 8k, you could LIKELY get a package deal (Check with Mike Pyle who posted above) of 2 DZR12's and 4 DXS18XLF's for 8K.  This would be the most speaker for your money.

No matter what you end up going with, it is going to be a huge step up to what you have now IMO.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2022, 04:20:55 PM »

You said portability was important, so I am not sure I could recommend the SRX828p (double 18" sub).

I don't know what "portable" means to the OP, but I've always found it easier to move a dual 18 vs a single 18. Either by dolly or dolly board, the 218 box means I can stand up straight and push instead of being bent over trying to keep a 118 from falling off a dolly.

Also, if you have a dolly board for the 218 laying down you can strap your two tops on it and roll the whole package. This is what I prefer.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2022, 04:46:44 PM »

I don't know what "portable" means to the OP, but I've always found it easier to move a dual 18 vs a single 18. Either by dolly or dolly board, the 218 box means I can stand up straight and push instead of being bent over trying to keep a 118 from falling off a dolly.

Also, if you have a dolly board for the 218 laying down you can strap your two tops on it and roll the whole package. This is what I prefer.

That's all up to how you like to move stuff.  I like single 18 boxes better because I can more easily move them when OFF of the wheels.  A dual 18 up the stairs is going to require 2 people to move, while the single 18's can be carried in 2 trips if necessary.

You can also strap the 2 subs together and set your speakers on to to roll a whole package if you so desire.
Brian Jojade

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2022, 05:40:36 PM »

That's all up to how you like to move stuff.  I like single 18 boxes better because I can more easily move them when OFF of the wheels.  A dual 18 up the stairs is going to require 2 people to move, while the single 18's can be carried in 2 trips if necessary.

You can also strap the 2 subs together and set your speakers on to to roll a whole package if you so desire.

I don't know if it's just my area, or incredible luck but I've never really had to deal with stairs. I'd say 99% of our venues here are on the ground floor, and those that aren't have elevators. The only real stair issues around here happen during SXSW and they hire tons of extra hands to carry stuff up to those infernal rooftop venues that are everywhere in Austin.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Steve Crump

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2022, 05:52:35 PM »

You can also strap the 2 subs together and set your speakers on to roll a whole package if you so desire.

If I could only have one sub and I wanted to do EDM and Hip Hop, it would be a double 18. With the casters and handles and the ability to tilt back and move such as the Captivator 218Pro, transporting wouldn't be that bad with a truck, full size van or trailer, maybe even a mini-van. Tilt back, lift and slide in for transport. I had some of the Yorkville UCS1 with the tilt back feature, I drug those everywhere and always by myself unless I was having to lift. Now I have several cubes on caster boards and it is not any easier, no tilting and sliding into the back of a van, just dead lift a cube. I am just thankful I don't have to lift the subs onto a pole.

One Captivator, on wheels at 160 lbs to setup, versus two single 18s at 110lbs each to setup, really does not seem that different. But the cubes do make great stand bases.

Not to mention the specs look good on the Captivator for the genres, tuned 27hz
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 06:28:41 PM by Steve Crump »

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2022, 08:23:57 AM »

I don't know if it's just my area, or incredible luck but I've never really had to deal with stairs. I'd say 99% of our venues here are on the ground floor, and those that aren't have elevators. The only real stair issues around here happen during SXSW and they hire tons of extra hands to carry stuff up to those infernal rooftop venues that are everywhere in Austin.

One of the venues I've started working at recently is a couple of floors up. No lift, and the stairs are 4-5 steps up, 90-degree turn, repeat for two stories. Fortunately, their FOH system isn't bad, so I only need to drag monitors, desk, cables, etc.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2022, 12:41:13 PM »

One of the venues I've started working at recently is a couple of floors up. No lift, and the stairs are 4-5 steps up, 90-degree turn, repeat for two stories. Fortunately, their FOH system isn't bad, so I only need to drag monitors, desk, cables, etc.

Chris
That's a no from me dog. Unless they provide really good hands.

There's a venue here that was the top floor of an old furniture store in the 50's. It has a rickety old open sided lift that is very cantankerous. If it's not working it's 3 flights up a really narrow and steep staircase. That place got sold years ago and was several different things, but it's a live music bar again. I'm wondering if the lift is still working and/or has the city approved it for use?!? You couldn't pay me enough to load in a rig up that staircase. It's like a servants stair in an old plantation house. Or a ship's ladder almost.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2022, 01:18:34 PM »

Back in my early, stoopit days, i took a 3rd floor gig in an old building in Old Montreal.
18th century construction (or was it 17th?)
tri-amped mains (4 bottoms, 4 tops) and 8 bi-amped 15/2 monitors.
1st and 2nd floor stairs were OK for a 4-man lift for the amp racks.
Third floor stairs was so bloody narrow, it was tough for 2.
Had to empty the racks (3 of them) and hand carry. Left the racks on the second, and piled the amps on stage.
Good show, decent band, great punters.
Got a call 6 months later at the same "venue", and I refused that one. So did the hire company that contracted me the first time.

Chris.
Oh, on topic. EDM with one sub, and more than 50 ppl?
someone's gonna get hurt.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 01:25:59 PM by Chris Hindle »
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Rick Powell

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2022, 08:29:01 PM »

I can't remember the last gig carrying a sub up a full flight of stairs. There are a few venues here that offer a choice of 3 or 4 stairs up or an ADA ramp, and if we have 2 or more crew, we'll often take the stairs because it's a short cut, but a one person load is always the ramp. One venue has the sound booth up stairs, so it's a 2 man carry of the console up a full flight, although one can drag it up one stair at a time (32R in a doghouse case). To the topic of twice the single 18s vs. a lesser amount of double 18s (or tall horn subs) I will take the lesser quantity and make less moves every time. I find tall subs with handles and casters are easy enough to move around, compared to twice the number of cube subs, for the same output.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2022, 08:29:01 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 23 queries.