ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Help looking for best PA speaker and sub  (Read 4085 times)

Matthias McCready

Re: Help looking for best PA speaker and sub
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2022, 05:44:45 PM »

Thanks everyone for your input. I’m currently on a short lunch break, so I have to be brief.

I want to clarify that the free $8,000 grant explicitly states it’s only for exactly 2 PA speakers and exactly 1 subwoofer. So we can’t get more than 1 sub unfortunately, and we can’t use the funds for anything else or put the difference in our pocket.  It’s a “use it or lose” it kind of thing. We just want to the best two PA speakers and a sub for under $8K.

If you are doing EDM I would focus on getting a good sub(s). If you are relegated to a single sub, a mistake for EDM  ;) , I would get the biggest most bad ass sub you can then.  8)

For higher-end subs (without getting into the crazy expensive brands) maybe take a look at Bass Boss or Danley; these will have much more output than
the options you have been looking at so far.
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Matthias McCready

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2022, 05:52:21 PM »

QSC and Yamaha DZR seems to be in stock at GC currently. And what do you mean by “QSC seems to be a hit or miss”? 🤔

MI brands (ie what is sold at Guitar Center) are at best incredibly optimistic with their specs. The SRX is the best of what you listed, if you needed to do something from Guitar Center I would for for an SRX828. It doesn't match the advertised specs, but it is a decent sub. I own one; and for the price it is good. There is certainly better to be had within your proposed budget.

---

The difference between a good sub and meh one, isn't just about volume; it is about frequency response. Some subs are "one note wonders." Ie when they are given bass content, they do produce "bass," however you really can't tell what note is going on. A good sub is a musical one where you can pick out the different frequencies. As EDM has so much low-frequency content this is more critical.

Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2022, 06:02:16 PM »

Thanks everyone for your input. I’m currently on a short lunch break, so I have to be brief.

I want to clarify that the free $8,000 grant explicitly states it’s only for exactly 2 PA speakers and exactly 1 subwoofer. So we can’t get more than 1 sub unfortunately, and we can’t use the funds for anything else or put the difference in our pocket.  It’s a “use it or lose” it kind of thing.

Again, ,how big is the room, and how many punters?
Anything over 50 ppl, 2 tops and 1 sub just ain't gonna cut it.
Someone needs to re-evaluate the project proposal.
IF EDM and Heavy Bass is the object, well, that takes serious subbage.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2022, 06:17:32 PM »

Since you're stuck with one sub, look seriously and the JTR offerings, as they have powered versions available.
I'm a huge Danley fanboy, but a separate amp isn't on your OK to buy list.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2022, 06:26:06 PM »

I want to clarify that the free $8,000 grant explicitly states it’s only for exactly 2 PA speakers and exactly 1 subwoofer. So we can’t get more than 1 sub unfortunately, and we can’t use the funds for anything else or put the difference in our pocket.  It’s a “use it or lose” it kind of thing. We just want to the best two PA speakers and a sub for under $8K.

This is the craziest thing I've ever heard for EDM, but if you are truly limited to only one subwoofer think along the lines of JBL SRX828, Danley TH118, JTR Orbit Shifter...

Speaking as a DJ (although hip-hop, Latin, and Reggaeton for me) BY FAR the most important decision you have to make is the subwoofer.

Steve Crump

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2022, 06:31:22 PM »

https://www.jtrspeakers.com/jtr-captivator-218pro

The DB Tech IG3T tops have been getting great reviews.

Rick Powell

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2022, 06:37:57 PM »

https://www.jtrspeakers.com/jtr-captivator-218pro

The DB Tech IG3T tops have been getting great reviews.

Yes, with the OP’s néw stipulation that the budget can only accommodate precisely one sub and 2 tops, the powered JTR Captivator 218 is an excellent choice. The 1GT4 tops get a lot of good cred around here, although I haven’t heard them. JTR might give you a discount on 3 pieces bought together if you went for a powered Captivator 218 Pro and a pair of powered Noesis 212XT Pro’s, for a little above the 8k budget and a matching set. The Yamaha DZRs I would expect to also perform well with a powered Captivator 218.

At some point, an additional sub or subs could (and probably should) be added. Whatever the original sub purchase, any additional subs should be the same model, so that they are assured of playing well together.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 07:49:52 PM by Rick Powell »

Steve Crump

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2022, 11:32:42 PM »

Yes, with the OP’s néw stipulation that the budget can only accommodate precisely one sub and 2 tops, the powered JTR Captivator 218 is an excellent choice. The 1GT4 tops get a lot of good cred around here, although I haven’t heard them. JTR might give you a discount on 3 pieces bought together if you went for a powered Captivator 218 Pro and a pair of powered Noesis 212XT Pro’s, for a little above the 8k budget and a matching set. The Yamaha DZRs I would expect to also perform well with a powered Captivator 218.

At some point, an additional sub or subs could (and probably should) be added. Whatever the original sub purchase, any additional subs should be the same model, so that they are assured of playing well together.

Yep, I suspect that the DZR would be a good match too.

Lev Raber

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2022, 10:09:01 AM »

Hello everyone. I want to upgrade my speakers system. I spent a lot of hours doing research, and just want to check in with y’all before I make a purchase.

I’m currently using a pair of EV ZLX-12BT powered speakers and a 12” EV sub. The speakers are used by a me and a few others to play a lot of EDM and hip hop, so bass is important.

I recently got a grant up to $8,000 to spend on 2 tops and a sub.

I At first I was going to go for QSC, but then I read that there are speakers out there that are better than QSC. These are some options below:

2x QSC K12.2 and a QSC KS118
2x JBL SRX812P and a JBL SRX818SP
2x Yamaha DZR12 and a DXS18XLF

Portability is also important so I don’t want some 3-way speakers because of their weight.

Some of my questions I have are:
1) Which subwoofer has the best sounding bass?
2) Which sound system as a whole sound best overall?
3) How do they all compare to each other? Are one siginificantly  noticeable better than the others?
4) Did I miss any other brand or models than the one I listed?
5) How reliable are they?
6) Which PA speakers has the best sounding bass, if hypothetically, a subwoofer is not used?the
7) Lastly, all the tops I listed are 12”. I read that 12” generally  have better mids and vocal clarity than 15”. Just wondering if that is true in all cases, even with high end products, or are there certain exceptions? And if so, should I go with 15”?
 Feel free to of course add any other comments about the experience. I just want to make sure I have the most up to date information since new products are being released all the time. Much appreciated!

Without knowing the room and crowd sizes you expect to cover that's all just an empty talk. In my book all systems mentioned above are probably good for 50-100 pips with EDM material. Forget about single 18" sub if you're allowed to buy only one. Invest in good dual 18" or single or dual 21" sub. With your budget I would go with Yorkville brand for subs and anything else (too many to chose from) for tops, just buy 4 tops - not 2 to make proper coverage in wide spaces. With careful considerations you will fit under 8K limit. Just a thought.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2022, 10:22:14 AM »

I want to clarify that the free $8,000 grant explicitly states it’s only for exactly 2 PA speakers and exactly 1 subwoofer. So we can’t get more than 1 sub unfortunately, and we can’t use the funds for anything else or put the difference in our pocket.  It’s a “use it or lose” it kind of thing. We just want to the best two PA speakers and a sub for under $8K. Rick replied and mentioned his personal preference is the Yamaha DZR, then JBL SRX, then the QSC K. Is that common consensus in the industry?

I will reply more throughly tonight when I get home to individual posts. I’m curious if anyone have personal experiences with these speakers and can give an analysis of the differences in audio quality and other stuff asked in the original post. Thanks

Lol. Gotta love that.

Put a help wanted ad in the classifieds here and see how much Danley sub you can get for your money.

I'd say a pair of Yamaha DZR12's over as much Danley sub as you can get would put you in the ball park. The Sub will (most likely) need an amp and a way to process it, so don't forget that.

Is buying used an option?

If you can't get a decent Danley box for your budget I'd say get an SRX828SP. It's essentially 2 "single eighteens" but in one box. The power and processing are built in. It's a pretty good sub, and if you want to keep it matching the SRX mains are pretty decent too.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2022, 10:22:14 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 24 queries.