ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Simple App controlled mixer with lock-outs  (Read 3977 times)

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: Simple App controlled mixer with lock-outs
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2022, 12:26:41 PM »

What you are describing is what I refer to as an 'Install DSP' or a matrix processor. I have used almost all of the usual suspects in the past (dbx Zone Pro, BSS London, Ashly Audio, QSC Q-SYS and MP-M) but the one I like far and above the others is the new Allen & Heath AHM64. It's nearly as powerful as Q-SYS but almost as simple to configure as a dbx Zone Pro.

It does all of the usual mixing, routing, ducking, priority inputs, dynamics, etc. but it's powered by the Allen & Heath D-Live engine and it can operate at 96khz. It integrates with all of the usual A&H stage boxes, but it can also integrate with an A&H Console such as a QU, SQ, or D-Live so the console can see & use all of the I/O on the AHM and the AHM can see & use all of the I/O on the console.

They also have a few different control surfaces to choose from. So far I've used the IP-1 and the IP-8. Both are great for giving a simple interface to the bar staff, receptionist, etc.

But for most installs I just put simple source and level controls on an iOS app and it works nearly flawlessly.

In the past I used to default to QSys, but with availability and such - I'm switching a number of projects over to AHM.  One hang-up I had with it in the past was lack of powerful speaker processing; however, since the ideal location for speaker processing is inside DSP amplifiers - this is no longer an issue.  AHM for the front half (routing and control) and DSP amps for the back half (speaker processing) works well.  Great to see another positive AHM report.  Agreed it is extremely super simple to use.

We just requested A&H to pull channel names from an A&H console to AHM, like how it does with ME-1s.  This would be helpful for applications where there are 1-2 A&H consoles feeding into an AHM.  I'm working on a project now with multiple AHM64s for a complete church campus with multiple rooms and multiple A&H consoles. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2022, 12:42:34 PM »

In the past I used to default to QSys, but with availability and such - I'm switching a number of projects over to AHM.  One hang-up I had with it in the past was lack of powerful speaker processing; however, since the ideal location for speaker processing is inside DSP amplifiers - this is no longer an issue.  AHM for the front half (routing and control) and DSP amps for the back half (speaker processing) works well.  Great to see another positive AHM report.  Agreed it is extremely super simple to use.

We just requested A&H to pull channel names from an A&H console to AHM, like how it does with ME-1s.  This would be helpful for applications where there are 1-2 A&H consoles feeding into an AHM.  I'm working on a project now with multiple AHM64s for a complete church campus with multiple rooms and multiple A&H consoles.

Yeah I had the same complaint about the speaker processing (or lack thereof). All it's really missing (for me anyways) is the ability to put a 24db/octave slope on the crossover, and the ability to put both a HPF and LPF on the same strip/block. The EQ section has the option to do a HPF and LPF, but the slopes are only 12db/octave. The 'speaker processing' block allows for a steeper filter, but it takes several blocks to do what I need to do. It seems like a really simple fix that could be achieved with a software update.

Ben Carson_

• Ben Carson
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2022, 11:45:29 AM »

I had no idea that A&H made such a unit, neat! The QSC 'Business Music' amps - the MP-MA40 (4 zone) and MP-MA80, while already mentioned, are great for staff app control. And it needs to be said that they are super straight forward to program, not a learning curve like the QSYS stuff. From the install app one can add staff members and assign permissions to what they can control.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2022, 11:45:29 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.