ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Simple App controlled mixer with lock-outs  (Read 3955 times)

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
Simple App controlled mixer with lock-outs
« on: January 20, 2022, 01:38:25 PM »

I am working with a venue to do an install and I am looking for a "mixer" that is app based where I can lock out majority of the mixer features and only have level control.
3 Stereo Inputs are:
House/Playback Music (stereo)
DJ (stereo)
Band's mixer (stereo)

Outputs:
Main PA (L & R)  (main PA has their own system processing)
Front Fills (mono)
Balcony Fills (mono)

The venue is providing Racks & Stacks and it'll be up to the band to provide Monitors/Mics/Stands/Stage cabling. 
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
Re: Simple App controlled mixer with lock-outs
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 02:12:48 PM »

Sounds like a classic case for a DSP.
Yamaha MTX/BSS Soundweb or similar.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 02:51:23 PM »

Sounds like a classic case for a DSP.
Yamaha MTX/BSS Soundweb or similar.

Agreed.  In addition to all the common suspects (QSys, Tesira, etc) you can also use some of the 'Lite' options - A&H AHM, QSC MP-M, Ashly Protea, etc.

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 06:08:59 PM »

With the MTX you can make a little custom Provisionaire tablet/phone layout that only does the things you want. Password protected, different controls for different users, status monitoring and logging, lots of possibilities!
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/proaudio/processors/mtx/index.html
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/proaudio/software/provisionaire/index.html
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 06:52:30 PM »

With the MTX you can make a little custom Provisionaire tablet/phone layout that only does the things you want. Password protected, different controls for different users, status monitoring and logging, lots of possibilities!
Agreed. Used ProVisionaire to make a simplified “Kiosk” so the bar staff could turn the amps off at night and set levels on the mezzanine fills.  We use a substantially more sophisticated version at FOH to monitor input levels, control matrix routing, swap EQ presets, as well as monitor the downstream amps. Seems to be a fairly easy to configure full-featured toolbox for creating tablet interfaces to the Yamaha/Nexo hardware.
..db

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 09:13:57 PM »

Look at something like the Allen Heath QU SB or QU Q Pac rack mixers.
They have an app called Q Control that you can set controls for very specific functions and the user can not get into the mixer to make other changes.

I've set up a few installs using them just for the Q Control functions.

Both of those cost less than some dedicated install DSP's and in some cases offer more
IO, no speaker processing options though.

Daniel Levi

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2022, 05:02:53 AM »

An X-AIR with a MIDI controller would also work, or there will be an app out there to make a custom tablet based MIDI controller, an XR12 has main out plus 2 monitor outputs so would be more than enough. You could even roll your own custom midi fader box with one of the Doepfer Pocket Electronic kits.

Or if the control does not need to be wireless then a Flow-8 coudl be another contender, just make sure no one uses the APP an only basic control is available.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2022, 01:44:37 PM »

Mixing station app is super customizable app that works on ios, android or PC, and then works with a fairly large variety of mixers.

You can then create the custom controls that you want to see, with password protection and such.

The key though, is that the locks are within the app, not the console itself. Someone that had access to the network could in theory get into the console with another app and muck with settings.
Brian Jojade

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2022, 06:13:28 PM »

I did what sounds like a similar install based around an Ashly PEMA 8250.70 DSP Amp.  This was for a hybrid Restaurant / Venue space, so the amp and DSP is more focused on managing the house system.  Ashly's iOS Remote app is very flexible, and not too hard to program.  I've used it in several projects now.  Giving the Bar staff and other non-technical personnel an iPad with level control and input selection seems to make everyone happy.

I believe that Ashly protea units can work the same way, and would probably be more suitable for your project.

Like you described, our venue has 'Racks and Stacks' and we ask the bands to bring their own Mics, Stands, Cables, Backline, and, in this case, Mixer.  There is a mini Soundcraft analog mixer for utility uses.  In my case, the PEMA amp takes a L/R feed from a couple XLRs that we patch from the bands mixer, and the iOS app routes it to any output - Stage PA (L/R + Sub) or any house BG music zone. There are a bunch of other analog inputs to the PEMA throughout the venue - behind the both bars, from the rack, from a video source selector, etc.

Good luck!

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2022, 10:06:37 AM »

I am working with a venue to do an install and I am looking for a "mixer" that is app based where I can lock out majority of the mixer features and only have level control.
3 Stereo Inputs are:
House/Playback Music (stereo)
DJ (stereo)
Band's mixer (stereo)

Outputs:
Main PA (L & R)  (main PA has their own system processing)
Front Fills (mono)
Balcony Fills (mono)

The venue is providing Racks & Stacks and it'll be up to the band to provide Monitors/Mics/Stands/Stage cabling.

What you are describing is what I refer to as an 'Install DSP' or a matrix processor. I have used almost all of the usual suspects in the past (dbx Zone Pro, BSS London, Ashly Audio, QSC Q-SYS and MP-M) but the one I like far and above the others is the new Allen & Heath AHM64. It's nearly as powerful as Q-SYS but almost as simple to configure as a dbx Zone Pro.

It does all of the usual mixing, routing, ducking, priority inputs, dynamics, etc. but it's powered by the Allen & Heath D-Live engine and it can operate at 96khz. It integrates with all of the usual A&H stage boxes, but it can also integrate with an A&H Console such as a QU, SQ, or D-Live so the console can see & use all of the I/O on the AHM and the AHM can see & use all of the I/O on the console.

They also have a few different control surfaces to choose from. So far I've used the IP-1 and the IP-8. Both are great for giving a simple interface to the bar staff, receptionist, etc.

But for most installs I just put simple source and level controls on an iOS app and it works nearly flawlessly.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2022, 10:06:37 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 24 queries.