ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pro AV Training  (Read 2150 times)

chris georgiou

Pro AV Training
« on: January 20, 2022, 10:45:30 AM »

Residential installer here getting his feet wet in commercial (small venues). What is a good source for training online? Took the JBL Pro one and currently taking QSC but they are more equipment specific; anything that deals in general with best practices and acoustics?

Glen Kelley

• El Paso, TX
    • The University of Texas at El Paso
Re: Pro AV Training
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 01:57:12 PM »

Avixa CTS and CTS-D. CTS-I if you are also acting as the installer. Avixa also sells study guides that comes with a practice test and some digital resources.

Extron has a pretty good training program, and a lot of their courses are available online for no charge. There are some that are general knowledge rather than equipment specific.

Audinate's Dante training is pretty critical for commercial installs and is very good. Also look into AV over IP (Crestron NVX, Extron NAV, Q-sys NV, SVSI, etc. and all the associated networking knowledge required. In commercial AV, you'll likely install as much network cabling as you do AV cabling.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 02:57:54 PM »

Residential installer here getting his feet wet in commercial (small venues). What is a good source for training online? Took the JBL Pro one and currently taking QSC but they are more equipment specific; anything that deals in general with best practices and acoustics?

SynAudCon, and as mentioned CTS-I. 

Depending on if 'Commercial' also means 'Pro' - you'll need to learn about rigging and working at higher-than-ladder height.  The Prolyte rigging Black Book (available as PDF) is a great intro to rigging and quick reference document. 

Acoustics - in addition to specific SynAudCon classes, manufacturer specific training can be helpful.  The best I've learned from is SynAudCon, followed by anything by Perdue Acoustics, and hanging out with Jay Perdue in particular.

Past that - find a mentor.  Message me if you would like and I'll help steer you based on what I've learned.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

TiKkO Rome

• Engineer/Wizard
    • Deadly Mix Productions official site [Under Construction]
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2022, 01:53:00 PM »

This seems like one of those situations where college/university is gonna be a big help. That's not meant to degrade you in any way but I suspect your competition will be much more qualified for the job than your competition in setting up some rich guy's surround sound.
Good luck

You definitely need Dante Level 3 Certification. Luckily it's free and not difficult.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2022, 01:53:00 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 20 queries.