Church and H.O.W. – Forums for HOW Sound and AV - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Church and HOW Forums > Church Sound

Midas M32 and Waves

<< < (2/3) > >>

Matthias McCready:

--- Quote from: Dwayne Aasberg on January 19, 2022, 11:26:25 PM ---
Fast forward.  We’re experimenting using Waves Tune Real-Time with the sanctuary M32...[Snip].... We seek a more robust solution that can be used by our less experienced techs.

--- End quote ---

Dwayne,

I am not saying tuning is wrong, but I would be incredibly cautious.

In the environment I work in, I have professional paid musicians and vocalists. Things are rehearsed to the second, and I mix down multitracks after rehearsal to make the weekend feel as good as possible. Even with that I almost never utilize pitch correction, even though I know the exact parts the vocalist will sing. Note that I still very much deal with having "pitchy" vocalists.

The problem with pitch correction, is you have to be very confident that you know exactly where that vocalist will go sharp/flat. If you get it wrong; it will correct to the wrong note, which will be VERY obvious and not sound tasty.

Even in my environment I would consider pitching everything to be too "risky."

So I would pose to you:
1) How good are your "inexperienced techs" with music theory? How good is their ear for pitch?
2) Are you running snapshots/scenes for every song that will change the respective Key(s) in Waves?
3) How well do you know your vocalists and their range, what parts of their range they struggle with pitch?

----

Depending on stage noise, pitch correction can also cause some pretty strange audible artifacts for the other item that vocal mic is picking up, especially if the person singing is playing an acoustic guitar or something.

----

If your vocalists are struggling with pitch, have you taken a look at their IEM mixes?

As long as someone is a half decent vocalist, I have found that their monitor mix is usually the culprit for singing off key. Usually said vocalist has their vocal 6-18dB hotter than everything else. While they can hear themselves well what they cannot hear is the pitch reference (keys, guitar etc). Turning that pitch reference tends to make a world of difference.

Robert Lofgren:
If you install the soundgrid driver on your Reaper computer you can record the output from your WSG-card.

Also, have a look at Waves QRec: https://www.waves.com/mixers-racks/soundgrid-qrec#simplified-soundgrid-app-live-recording-qrec

--- Quote from: Dwayne Aasberg on January 19, 2022, 11:26:25 PM ---Obviously a Waves SuperRack combo would work.  But….
If the USB card is replaced with the Waves WSG card, we lose the ability to multitrack record in the sanctuary using Reaper – something we do frequently to create special content in controlled settings (not Sundays).  We could run SuperRack on a PC and connect via USB (I think…).

--- End quote ---

Dwayne Aasberg:
Hello Matthias and Robert.
Thank you for your replies.

--- Quote from: Matthias McCready on January 23, 2022, 10:59:57 AM ---I am not saying tuning is wrong, but I would be incredibly cautious.

--- End quote ---

I hear you, for sure I hear you.  Pitch correction is an 'experiment' for all the reasons you've stated.  But the experiment is being facilitated by our Worship Leader (a very accomplished musician) - not me.  Our artists are very strong, too.  We and they have noted, though, that pitchyness that may have gone unnoticed in the live sanctuary is quite pronounced in the online stream.  Thus, the experiment.

--- Quote from: Robert Lofgren on January 24, 2022, 05:52:22 PM ---If you install the soundgrid driver on your Reaper computer you can record the output from your WSG-card.

Also, have a look at Waves QRec: https://www.waves.com/mixers-racks/soundgrid-qrec#simplified-soundgrid-app-live-recording-qrec

--- End quote ---

I was not aware of this capability.  Thank you.
D

Dwayne Aasberg:

--- Quote from: Robert Lofgren on January 24, 2022, 05:52:22 PM ---If you install the soundgrid driver on your Reaper computer you can record the output from your WSG-card.

--- End quote ---

Further question.   Can a SuperRack Native PC exchange audio with an M32 that has an DN32-WSG installed and connected to an ethernet port on the PC?  Kinda SondGrid Lite - with no SG server.

Am I OTL?
Thx for your help.  D

Matthias McCready:

--- Quote from: Dwayne Aasberg on February 01, 2022, 11:52:16 PM ---Further question.   Can a SuperRack Native PC exchange audio with an M32 that has an DN32-WSG installed and connected to an ethernet port on the PC?  Kinda SondGrid Lite - with no SG server.

Am I OTL?
Thx for your help.  D

--- End quote ---

I am thinking not; if I have time I can give it a try today.

I think that could be the difference between Superack live vs studio?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version