ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Teach me!!!  (Read 2007 times)

Douglas Cyr

Re: Teach me!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2022, 11:58:45 AM »

I worked as low voltage/security installer for a while and this became my pass through crimper of choice:

"Klein Tools VDV226-110 Ratcheting Modular Cable Crimper / Wire Stripper / Wire Cutter, for RJ11/RJ12 Standard and RJ45 Pass-Thru Connectors https://amzn.to/3qIikRQ "

The benefits are you don't have to be as careful with the length of jacket you remove and you can see the order for the conductors more easily to verify the correct wiring (the crimper also has the color coding on the tool to easily verify). So for install teams you can move through terminations more quickly.

I never heard anything about the warranty issues mentioned, but that's an interesting point for sure. I never had issues with any of the terminations I did with the pass through connectors (that I know of).

It's a real pain to have to use one type of crimper with the wrong type of RJ45 jack. When I left the security company I ended up with a huge box of RJ45'S, except none of them are pass through, so it's annoying to use them with my pass through crimper.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2022, 12:41:37 PM »

Is there any advantage to using these over the "normal" RJ45 connectors? I've made hundreds with RJ45 and have gotten quite good at making them. But if there's a better way, I'm listening.

No advantage if you can quickly and correctly terminate using the standard plugs.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2022, 02:25:26 PM »

Is there any advantage to using these over the "normal" RJ45 connectors? I've made hundreds with RJ45 and have gotten quite good at making them. But if there's a better way, I'm listening.

Speed of assembly is typically the big one, since the pass-through connectors eliminate the "measure and trim" steps of the assembly process (as well as the tools used to do the measuring and trimming).

Theoretically, pass-through connectors should also produce better-performing cables, since the pass-through design basically guarantees that the length of untwisted wire will be kept to a minimum. At speeds of 1Gbps or less this is rarely a big deal, but if your cables need to be certified to Cat6A or better it's worth paying attention to.

-Russ

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2022, 03:09:31 PM »

As noted, pass through connectors are quicker to install, and on difficult to terminate cables, they can be a lifesaver. It's also easier to very that everything is in the right place before you crimp.

The disadvantages are that you need a special crimper, although that need is relative, since you can do it with a razor blade if you're careful, or maybe flush cutting dykes if you want to minimize the chances of slicing your fingers. I imagine they also let more contaminants and moisture into the strands than a normal connector, so depending on your use case (outdoors or in very dirty environments), you may want to go with traditional connectors.

That said, I love the pass through connectors. Elite Core specifically recommended them for terminating their tactical cat cable, actually. They've worked well for me.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

keven mcdonald

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2022, 04:11:31 PM »

As far as Iím aware SSL, Yamaha, DHD and others are all developing their own dante boards using FPGA and dante application library (or whatever the API is called). Sadly it seems these FPGAs are just as constrained in the supply chain as the regular audinate made chips.

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2022, 10:05:04 AM »

Ive trimmed EZ style connectors with a new (very sharp) razor blade with success.

That said, I recommend against using them.  Some mfgrs explicitly say that using them voids the warranty.  This is due to a risk of shorts between the wires and some jacks having metal parts that can be shorted against.  Itís been a couple years since I looked it up and I donít recall which mfgrs had this policy, I just stopped using them.  I believe crestron may have been one.  If you must use an ez connector then after inserting the cable trim it back as close to the connector as possible with a flushcut (do it straight).  Then before crimping slide the cable back so that all the conductors are recessed into the connector.  That way you pretty much eliminate any chance of the conductors shorting out.

This cannot be stressed enough. I suspect this has more to do with people using the incorrect and/or dull tools to terminate them, however, the fact remains that you risk shorting out POE devices using these connectors, as you are left with bare copper ends.

There are alternatives to the cheap 'iceblock' connectors that provide maximum twist with minimum effort (Belden, Signamax, others I'm sure), typically about $6-10 a connector (and the Belden's require a special tool). For Ethercon's, use Neutrik NE8MX6 Cat6A connectors (backwards compatible with the Cat5e ethercons that's on most devices).

John L Nobile

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2022, 10:44:33 AM »

the fact remains that you risk shorting out POE devices using these connectors, as you are left with bare copper ends.

If that's true, I'll stay away from them. The thought of bare exposed ends in an already flimsy connector worries me.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2022, 04:29:08 PM »

Definitely require the right tool to use pass through.  If you decide to use a razor blade to trim, make sure that you include band-aids in your tool kit because at some point, you WILL slice your fingers open, and it's not fun.

If you take the time to learn how to fanagle cat 5 cable and regular crimps, the time savings is next to nothing.  You still want a good crimper regardless.

I've found this crimper to do a decent job at a really decent price:

https://www.cdw.com/product/Tripp-Lite-RJ11-RJ12-RJ45-Crimping-Tool-with-Cable-Stripper-Cat5e-Cat6/4001739?cm_cat=BingShopping&cm_ite=4001739&cm_pla=NA-NA-TRI_CN&cm_ven=acquirgy&ef_id=51c89a2eb5061a8aef0afbc767fb4dba:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!4223!10!73942415187969!4577541788729294

It can strip the jacket and then trim the ends of the cable. No need for additional tools.

The key though, is it takes practice to put an RJ45 end on properly.  After too many years of experience, I can throw RJ45's on in my sleep with a 99%+ success rate.  When I have to teach someone how to do it, it's an exercise in frustration watching them struggle to get wire pairs to line up and get into the connector correctly.
Brian Jojade

David Haulman

• Brunswick;Ga.
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2022, 07:13:39 PM »

Definitely require the right tool to use pass through.  If you decide to use a razor blade to trim, make sure that you include band-aids in your tool kit because at some point, you WILL slice your fingers open, and it's not fun.

If you take the time to learn how to fanagle cat 5 cable and regular crimps, the time savings is next to nothing.  You still want a good crimper regardless.

https://www.cdw.com/product/Tripp-Lite-RJ11-RJ12-RJ45-Crimping-Tool-with-Cable-Stripper-Cat5e-Cat6/4001739?cm_cat=BingShopping&cm_ite=4001739&cm_pla=NA-NA-TRI_CN&cm_ven=acquirgy&ef_id=51c89a2eb5061a8aef0afbc767fb4dba:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!4223!10!73942415187969!4577541788729294

It can strip the jacket and then trim the ends of the cable. No need for additional tools.

The key though, is it takes practice to put an RJ45 end on properly.  After too many years of experience, I can throw RJ45's on in my sleep with a 99%+ success rate.  When I have to teach someone how to do it, it's an exercise in frustration watching them struggle to get wire pairs to line up and get into the connector correctly.

ez 45 were never intended for poe switches. Look at the new style where when you trim the end it actually shaves a mm of the plastic end. NO shorted cables but having a sharp blade to cut is very important.

Al Rettich

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2022, 04:57:23 PM »

I purchased a Klein 110, that crimps and cuts at the same time. I'll have two crimpers. Wouldn't be the first tool I've own a duplicate of.

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #19 on: January 29, 2022, 04:57:23 PM ¬Ľ

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.