ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi instrumentalist using 1 vocal mic - plan of attack  (Read 973 times)

Scott Trouwborst

Multi instrumentalist using 1 vocal mic - plan of attack
« on: January 18, 2022, 01:35:33 PM »

Hey Everyone, I work regularly with a band that has a musician that plays penny whistles, harmonica, trumpet, and signs. He's on an M80 and plays everything into it. I'd love an input for each thing as I treat them all a little different but there's no space for more inputs in the split and monitor desk. I'm thinking about splitting the inputs and having a channel for each instrument and vocal at FOH. Has anyone had success with this? Or, does it take about the same amount of effort to make the adjustments on the fly? Thanks

Miguel Dahl

Re: Multi instrumentalist using 1 vocal mic - plan of attack
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 02:15:08 PM »

Hey Everyone, I work regularly with a band that has a musician that plays penny whistles, harmonica, trumpet, and signs. He's on an M80 and plays everything into it. I'd love an input for each thing as I treat them all a little different but there's no space for more inputs in the split and monitor desk. I'm thinking about splitting the inputs and having a channel for each instrument and vocal at FOH. Has anyone had success with this? Or, does it take about the same amount of effort to make the adjustments on the fly? Thanks

As english is not my first language I had to google "signs instrument", and that gave me nothing..

But I'd say yes, you can split them. I've used splitted input for vocals/flute/harmonica etc. Just pull down one fader and up with the other. Dialing in EQ, Comp, FX etc on the fly takes longer than pulling up a channel which already has those things dialed in. I guess you're on a digital board so you could also use the trim to dial in the "gain" so you'll always be operating with fader where you'd want it, like 0dB is where you start for each channel.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 02:18:29 PM by Miguel Dahl »

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 03:17:12 PM »

Can you split the mic into multiple channels, one for each use? Definitely. Should you do this? Well, that really depends.

The biggest challenge of "one mic, multiple channels" is in the switching between. This is particularly true if the settings are different enough between channels that having the wrong channel up will cause things to sound bad (remember, "first, do no harm").

If switching between the different channels on-the-fly isn't going to add too much to your workload (e.g. because the timing of those switches is obvious and there aren't too many of them) and you want to use significantly different settings for the different uses (i.e. there's no point in breaking things out if each channel ends up being basically the same anyway) then I'd certainly give it a try. Personally, I'd probably start simple with a "vox" channel and an "inst" channel and see how that goes.

As english is not my first language I had to google "signs instrument", and that gave me nothing.. {...}

I'm ASSuming "signs" was supposed to be "sings" (typically people who sign on stage don't require a microphone, although lighting is crucial!).

-Russ

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 03:52:02 PM »

I'm thinking about splitting the inputs and having a channel for each instrument and vocal at FOH. Has anyone had success with this? Or, does it take about the same amount of effort to make the adjustments on the fly? Thanks
Scott,

Multiple split channels does save a lot of adjustment time, and can work well, just push up the correct fader for the desired penny whistle, harmonica, trumpet, sing, talk etc. settings.

That said, with a digital console, you could assign each change of channel parameter settings to a different recall setting.

For instance, the M32 has a structure called "Snippets", which allows for setting selective parameters and channel filters for storage. Recalling a Snippet will exclusively affect the stored bits of information, leaving the remaining console status untouched.

Art

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 04:25:40 PM »

I'm guessing Russell was correct that "signs" should have been "sings", but for you own information, "signs" refers to using "sign language".  This not only involves using the hands to produce words and alphabet characters, but the mouth with somewhat exaggerated expressions.  That is why lighting would be important for "signing".

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 05:17:30 PM »

Hey Everyone, I work regularly with a band that has a musician that plays penny whistles, harmonica, trumpet, and signs. He's on an M80 and plays everything into it.

He must have developed very good mic technique, as the M80 has a super/hyper cardioid pickup pattern.

For an application like that, I would think a LDC (w/ proper compression) placed a bit further away would yield better results.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2022, 07:17:32 PM »

I commonly map a vocal mic to two channels in the case of a male vocalist who also plays a harmonica. I arrange them adjacent to each other on the console layer with one on and one off.  To switch just tap both mute buttons. If I forget the switch the vocal will sound dull/muddy or the harmonica super bright but they are audible.  Just have to make sure to have one and only one on at a time.  It can be tricky but so can riding the fader or EQ curve of a baritone vocalist who likes screeching harp interludes. Not sure I’d try more than two though.
..db

Scott Trouwborst

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2022, 10:58:07 AM »

Thanks for the advice, and yes signs was supposed to be sings. Yes he does have quite good technique everyone is on ears so if he's not in the right spot he knows really quickly.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2022, 10:58:07 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.