ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Career advice for an aspiring audio engineer  (Read 4198 times)

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: Career advice for an aspiring audio engineer
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2022, 12:55:11 AM »

Another observation. Jobs that once were open to those with non-college experience now most often require a degree. Flying for the airlines or becoming a cop likely fall into that category, and these are hardly theory jobs. Thankfully, it's a big world and there are many routes to happiness, with or without a degree.

I've had a few job interviews that wouldn't have happened without that expensive little piece of paper (degree). 

Most of my college can be summed up as - accelerated learning, and learning how to learn.  Note that neither of these are exclusive to college; they are simply faster and now come more naturally vs the school of hard knocks.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2022, 10:07:57 AM »

This kid put at least three coherent sentences together. I don't think his IQ is low enough for video....

They're making better vidiots these days!

Seriously, the things to know:  video and IT (network) permeate EVERYTHING already and will be moreso going forward.  If you cant figure out a network mask or vLAN tagging, how to configure and start/stop/route production IN THE CLOUD, you're already a Luddite.  Did I say "seriously" yet?

Matrix intercoms over IP.

The money is not in entertainment audio, at least not as a stand-alone category.  The money is in pipe and drape, staging, video, and "wet ware" knowledge that get the event/show/presentation up and running without going Hindenburg.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Justin Quinn

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2022, 10:08:25 AM »

Best advice I can think of is seek out a mentor. They're out there.

If you need a starting point, you can start with me. Email is in my sig line. I'd love to hear from you.

Brian

Thanks Brian, I sent a message your way.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2022, 10:12:37 AM »

This blew my mind. Here, if you don't have a bank account you basically can't get paid.

-Russ

Maybe in Canada-land.  In the USA an employer is required to pay in a form the worker can use.  This has come down to pre-paid debit cards that get refilled on payday.  US law also requires that these payroll cards have a 'cash out' (ATM) network that will allow a worker to withdraw the full amount of the worker's pay without cost or service charges to the worker, should the worker opt to not use the card directly for purchases.

For the 'banked' workers, paper cheques or direct deposit to their financial institutions.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2022, 10:42:35 AM »

My God, Tim!

With "humor" like this, how do you work at all?

He has a HoW gig...

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2022, 10:59:19 AM »

There are many aspects to sound, and even in "live sound".

I did the rental thing for just under half of my working career.  I loved it and never ever thought of doing anything else.

Well, life happened, and I took a little course change.

I got into installs and real designing (not just putting things to gather to work-but designing towards a measurable end result), and then into manufacturing/design.

I KNEW I would not be happy when I got out of live sound, but in retrospect, it was THE BEST thing for me.  I started LEARNING a LOT more about what REALLY goes on. Not being sucked into the world of "heresay" and hype and myth.

My earnings were MUCH more, more time off, more stability etc.

I will admit that my experience in live sound rentals was a BIG factor in my overall career and success (if you can call it that), so I would not trade it for anything.  It still plays a BIG part in my current work.  But I am not out gigging like I used to.  But that part is still fun, and I still get that certain "high" from doing it from time to time.  But as I get older, my body is not up to the riggers of it all, like I used to be.

I would just keep your options open, things that you think you may not enjoy, you may enjoy more.

There are a lot of various aspects to the "sound" industry, not just live gigs.

For most manufacturers, their biggest area of sales is installation, not live events.  Just keep that in mind, when thinking about possible earnings potential.  Yes the live events can drive install sales, but not the direct money in sales.

Have fun, but be open minded about other possibilities.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2022, 03:22:01 PM »

Maybe in Canada-land.  In the USA an employer is required to pay in a form the worker can use.  This has come down to pre-paid debit cards that get refilled on payday.  US law also requires that these payroll cards have a 'cash out' (ATM) network that will allow a worker to withdraw the full amount of the worker's pay without cost or service charges to the worker, should the worker opt to not use the card directly for purchases.

For the 'banked' workers, paper cheques or direct deposit to their financial institutions.

While cheques are still often cut to pay invoices (which isn't as uncommon as it should be; the CRA is quite a bit more relaxed about the employee-vs.-contractor distinction than the IRS is), the vast majority of payroll here has been direct deposit for quite some time. I'm pretty sure that if you told an employer that you didn't have a bank account for direct deposit you'd be instructed to go open one.

Heck, even the Canadian Government basically doesn't issue cheques anymore (which was part of the reason that a local financial institution teamed up with a homeless welfare organization to offer bank accounts to people with no fixed address; I believe iris scans are used in place of can-be-lost-or-stolen access cards).

-Russ

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2022, 11:47:17 AM »

While cheques are still often cut to pay invoices (which isn't as uncommon as it should be; the CRA is quite a bit more relaxed about the employee-vs.-contractor distinction than the IRS is), the vast majority of payroll here has been direct deposit for quite some time. I'm pretty sure that if you told an employer that you didn't have a bank account for direct deposit you'd be instructed to go open one.

Heck, even the Canadian Government basically doesn't issue cheques anymore (which was part of the reason that a local financial institution teamed up with a homeless welfare organization to offer bank accounts to people with no fixed address; I believe iris scans are used in place of can-be-lost-or-stolen access cards).

-Russ

In the USA, following the 9/11/01 terrorist actions our Congress passed the "Patriot Act" and a couple other pieces of law that I disagree with... but these *require* a physical address of residence or place of business to open a bank account.  Yet more differences between neighbors...

Justin Quinn

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2022, 11:57:55 AM »

I am in CLE, we are small fry however we try and stay clear of the pubs. 

We have a 10k SQ ft. Warehouse and a forklift so there is that (just kidding).  I am not sure I can challenge you but certainly willing to talk. 

If corporate was back in full swing I know I could keep you engaged but last year was a hogepodge of festivals, privates, a few people you may have heard of any many you might not have.

Know your shit, don't be a dick and a good time will be had by all.  That is not originally my quote, it may be Brian's but I love it. 

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
Scott,

You may or may not remember but we have talked in the past, I found the conversation to be very helpful and always am willing to have another chat with you if interested.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2022, 01:51:24 PM »

In the USA, following the 9/11/01 terrorist actions our Congress passed the "Patriot Act" and a couple other pieces of law that I disagree with... but these *require* a physical address of residence or place of business to open a bank account.  Yet more differences between neighbors...
funny, these days TSA is accepting arrest warrants for identification....

El Salvador has adopted Bitcoin as their national currency, I can't agree with that either but apparently it has helped a lot of their unbanked citizens to gain access to the (a?) financial system.

JR

PS; My last major day job after I was working there for about a year, told me I was getting direct deposit and what bank my account was in.....  8)
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2022, 01:51:24 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.