ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Career advice for an aspiring audio engineer  (Read 4097 times)

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
Re: Career advice for an aspiring audio engineer
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2022, 11:20:44 AM »

Then we would take a tour up through Montana or Arizona or Illinois, etc....
The “Red Dirt” pipeline does indeed run through Montana.
..db

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2022, 04:34:01 PM »

My advice is VIDEO.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2022, 07:30:40 PM »

Hello all and thank you in advance for your time and advice.
I’m basically seeking advice on how to get more involved in the live audio industry.

Some background to give you an idea of my abilities… I’ve been passionate about professional audio my entire life and self-taught myself a good bit- I’m pretty comfortable on most digital consoles, hold Shure RF and Dante LVL3 certifications, very comfortable with Pro Tools and wave plugins, read plenty of books on sound system design, the Yamaha book, bla bla bla and so on… I’ve also worked in IT so all the network-based protocols (Dante, ArtNET, etc.) I thrive on.

I grew up and live in a rural area where there is little-to-no production, atleast nowhere near the scale that I want to do it on.  A local company that I could intern or work at simply doesn’t exist, just a few old timers with old equipment handling local no-name acts.  I’ve basically worked all the venues and made all the connections that I can I’m my local area and am ready to move on, quite frankly.

I’ve been seeking out internships or jobs (submitting resume, calling, emailing, etc.) at production companies in Pittsburgh, PA, a city close to me, but I’ve been having trouble grabbing any opportunities.

Anyone on here who’s been in my spot before I’d appreciate some advice and industry insight. If someone is looking for someone to intern or work on their team preferably in Pittsburgh, Ohio, Tennissee, or the Carolinas I’d love to talk.
I am in CLE, we are small fry however we try and stay clear of the pubs. 

We have a 10k SQ ft. Warehouse and a forklift so there is that (just kidding).  I am not sure I can challenge you but certainly willing to talk. 

If corporate was back in full swing I know I could keep you engaged but last year was a hogepodge of festivals, privates, a few people you may have heard of any many you might not have.

Know your shit, don't be a dick and a good time will be had by all.  That is not originally my quote, it may be Brian's but I love it. 

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 07:38:57 PM by Scott Holtzman »
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2022, 08:40:31 PM »

Hey Justin, welcome, and here are my thoughts in no apparent order:

1) Have a day job.  The past two years have proven how volatile work in the entertainment industry can be.  Preferably your day job can tie into audio/tech such as working in AV installations, IT, networking, etc., but I'm an engineer by day (aerospace, not audio).  The commitments of both jobs mesh well so that I can swing both, but not all day jobs overlap well with entertainment.  As an aside, we have several regulars here who tour and can give you the pros/cons with that lifestyle should you choose to pursue it.

2) Try to learn as many facets as you can.  I'm proficient at lighting, sound, and many flavors of pyro.  Not only will more skillsets give you more work potential, but it will let you take on rolls that require proficiency in many disciplines at the same time.  As example, last weekend I was working one of the largest annual firework displays in Florida.  This required not only proficiency in outdoor display fireworks, but also in audio, timecode, and RF since the display was fully scripted to a soundtrack.  Being able to speak the language of the audio engineer and RF coordinator while sitting side-of-stage to fire the show via radio control always helps ensure a smooth production.  The same goes for when I'm in an NFL stadium for game day pyro.

3) As Scott says...in other words...be pleasant to work with.  As a crew lead I'm always happy to teach.  Don't be afraid to ask questions either.  You don't need to be the strongest or most experienced person on my crew - so long as you show up on time, come ready to work, and act professionally I'll always hire you back.  Since many of my jobs require a 2-5 day commitment where we travel/eat/sleep/work together for the duration I'll take the pleasant person every time over the person with more experience but is a pain to be around.

4) Have fun with it.  Entertainment is long hours in oftentimes less than ideal working conditions.  Some days will be rough - there's no way around it, but if you don't look back on it and laugh you're in the wrong business!

5) Make sure your life goals are conducive to work in the entertainment industry.  Those who tour are away from home almost the entire year (pandemic aside).  If you're planning on a wife and kids be sure this is something you'll be okay with.  A number of my friends work at the Orlando theme parks - while not the most varied in work they get to be home with their families every day.  Our industry comes in many flavors and schedules - don't get too invested in the "next big thing" that you let your life goals fall to the side.

Best of luck!

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2022, 09:10:01 PM »

My advice is VIDEO.

This kid put at least three coherent sentences together. I don't think his IQ is low enough for video....
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2022, 09:18:51 PM »

Hey Justin, welcome, and here are my thoughts in no apparent order:

1) Have a day job.  The past two years have proven how volatile work in the entertainment industry can be.  Preferably your day job can tie into audio/tech such as working in AV installations, IT, networking, etc., but I'm an engineer by day (aerospace, not audio).  The commitments of both jobs mesh well so that I can swing both, but not all day jobs overlap well with entertainment.  As an aside, we have several regulars here who tour and can give you the pros/cons with that lifestyle should you choose to pursue it.

2) Try to learn as many facets as you can.  I'm proficient at lighting, sound, and many flavors of pyro.  Not only will more skillsets give you more work potential, but it will let you take on rolls that require proficiency in many disciplines at the same time.  As example, last weekend I was working one of the largest annual firework displays in Florida.  This required not only proficiency in outdoor display fireworks, but also in audio, timecode, and RF since the display was fully scripted to a soundtrack.  Being able to speak the language of the audio engineer and RF coordinator while sitting side-of-stage to fire the show via radio control always helps ensure a smooth production.  The same goes for when I'm in an NFL stadium for game day pyro.

3) As Scott says...in other words...be pleasant to work with.  As a crew lead I'm always happy to teach.  Don't be afraid to ask questions either.  You don't need to be the strongest or most experienced person on my crew - so long as you show up on time, come ready to work, and act professionally I'll always hire you back.  Since many of my jobs require a 2-5 day commitment where we travel/eat/sleep/work together for the duration I'll take the pleasant person every time over the person with more experience but is a pain to be around.

4) Have fun with it.  Entertainment is long hours in oftentimes less than ideal working conditions.  Some days will be rough - there's no way around it, but if you don't look back on it and laugh you're in the wrong business!

5) Make sure your life goals are conducive to work in the entertainment industry.  Those who tour are away from home almost the entire year (pandemic aside).  If you're planning on a wife and kids be sure this is something you'll be okay with.  A number of my friends work at the Orlando theme parks - while not the most varied in work they get to be home with their families every day.  Our industry comes in many flavors and schedules - don't get too invested in the "next big thing" that you let your life goals fall to the side.

Best of luck!
As always Jeff is both eloquent and on point.

He mentioned diversity of roles.  Everyone thinks they want to tour with a rock band.  That is one small fraction of the business and can extract a decent penalty on your body and your soul. 

On the other hand there many, many other jobs in audio and production that have normal work days, benefits, salaries and can be very satisfying.  Sure we all tell about xyz artists we go to work with but at the end of the day I make my living renting projectors, drape, wireless mics, cameras.  Basic stuff that pays the bills.

As I grew my business I brought people on, I have yet to leave my day gig as a network engineer.  It's great income to fall back on. 

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2022, 09:48:16 PM »

Video is where the money is at and will go. Audio engineers are easy to come by. Just ask any musician.... They're all sound guys : )

The not so tongue in cheek answer is that most any position in production is a self-made world. You can have years of schooling and credentials, but if you can't sell the service yourself, it will be nearly impossible to get someone else to hire you. Reputation and word of mouth go a long way. The issue is the expense and trust that YOU won't damage and are truly capable of running rather expensive gear and on top of that be able to run a show with ZERO mistakes. Good isn't good enough, you have to be really good, AT A LOT OF THINGS. From power management, RF management, cleanliness ( how you lay your cables ), to your work ethic, your look ( it is a factor ), how you handle people and situations and to top it all off, you have to have product knowledge of a vast amount of equipment, have to put it all together and run it without mistakes and be a guy that employers trust.

If you can do all those things and you know it, oftentimes you don't need a company to hire you to do it, you are already doing it on your own with your own service, or have already spent enough time in the industry to have built a reputation that other companies can refer to others about. If you can't or don't already have that going for you, then you have to have one hell of a resume and an innate ability to sell yourself to an employer.

The video operator world is where the good money is at right now. And because of its staying power through the pandemic, it is still a viable employment segment. If you can swing that skill, I would go there first. If you are truly just an audio guy, you will have better odds just creating your own business and providing services. You will have to be hungry and aggressive though. The ones that managed to stay in the game are pulling in all the jobs right now. So new players are having a tough time jumping in unless they are providing top-tier services.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2022, 10:05:05 PM »

the circus always looks better from the audience....

Chew on all the advice given here

learn a merchantable skill (i.e. get a real job).

welcome to the party

JR

Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2022, 09:28:19 AM »

Hello all and thank you in advance for your time and advice.
I’m basically seeking advice on how to get more involved in the live audio industry.

Some background to give you an idea of my abilities… I’ve been passionate about professional audio my entire life and self-taught myself a good bit- I’m pretty comfortable on most digital consoles, hold Shure RF and Dante LVL3 certifications, very comfortable with Pro Tools and wave plugins, read plenty of books on sound system design, the Yamaha book, bla bla bla and so on… I’ve also worked in IT so all the network-based protocols (Dante, ArtNET, etc.) I thrive on.

I grew up and live in a rural area where there is little-to-no production, atleast nowhere near the scale that I want to do it on.  A local company that I could intern or work at simply doesn’t exist, just a few old timers with old equipment handling local no-name acts.  I’ve basically worked all the venues and made all the connections that I can I’m my local area and am ready to move on, quite frankly.

I’ve been seeking out internships or jobs (submitting resume, calling, emailing, etc.) at production companies in Pittsburgh, PA, a city close to me, but I’ve been having trouble grabbing any opportunities.

My advise as a very very local small-time provider:
- have a strong back (at my age [early 60's] I go to the gym & "lift" to keep my core firm so as not to injure myself putting cabs on scaf, etc.)
- knowledge on digi boards is quite common as they are all somewhat the same (very easy to pick up by any "phone-savvy" millennium)
however
a well-written letter of intent (run it by your high school English teacher or other well-read adult), rigger's certification, Electrician training certificate (of some sort), CLEAN CORI, Class A driving license (along with a clean driving record), musical training (if you want to tour a band it's to your advantage to be able to talk music with the musicians)
coupled
with an in-person hand shake (fist pump/elbow tap)
will get you noticed.

Sending an email as a run-of-the-mill fader-jockey (or "finger swiper") will not stand out.

The above-advise is what I would give to you if you were my son.

Michael Lascuola

• WoodlawnSound.com
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2022, 10:20:15 AM »

I don't think his IQ is low enough for video....
My God, Tim!

With "humor" like this, how do you work at all?

Colorado Springs, CO

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2022, 10:20:15 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.