ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie Alert - Live sound equipment for a 4 piece Rock band  (Read 4335 times)

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: Newbie Alert - Live sound equipment for a 4 piece Rock band
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2022, 02:50:31 PM »

I agree that the additional "chest thump" would be better than nothing, but I think that going for something with a bit more bottom-end grunt is worth the hassle.

Yes!  After hearing good (deep, accurate) bass, going back to the mid-bass type subs feels like an '80s bar band system.  "Subs" that only play to 50-Hz-ish feel neutered.  My vote is to let bygones be bygones and use systems that can handle 5 string bass and a wide range of kick mics for rock style music, which means aim for 30Hz extension.  Then add deep bass reproduction capabilities for applications that need it.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2022, 03:39:22 PM »

Yes!  After hearing good (deep, accurate) bass, going back to the mid-bass type subs feels like an '80s bar band system.  "Subs" that only play to 50-Hz-ish feel neutered.  My vote is to let bygones be bygones and use systems that can handle 5 string bass and a wide range of kick mics for rock style music, which means aim for 30Hz extension.  Then add deep bass reproduction capabilities for applications that need it.

While I can't argue with the concept that better subs sound better, the catch is the trade offs to get there means spending more money and having physically much larger boxes.  In a bar band scenario, often times these compromises are impractical.

With today's technology, people are becoming accustomed to processed sub sounds - which enhance higher low frequencies to seem like lower frequencies than they actually are.  It's extremely common in home systems, headphones, etc, and now in the smaller powered speaker systems.

Is it better? Absolutely not. (Bose has been doing this FOREVER and certainly never gets the love for what they do to sound) But it's cheaper and smaller and the market seems to accept it in many scenarios.

That being said, for a budget rig, I'd say it's acceptable to go with the smaller stuff.  When you're ready to take the giant leap towards better sound you'll be able to better appreciate the differences.
Brian Jojade

Scott Bolt

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2022, 03:46:30 PM »

I have always said that "real men have subs".  I agree with the people here saying that higher lows (oxymoron) are the norm in consumer applications, but the first time you hear it in all the glory (a decent band with a PA capable of producing good clean lows in the extended LF), it really is an eye-opener.

.... but it isn't cheap.  Good, powerful subs are expensive .... and usually big and heavy to boot.  LF in most enclosed spaces is hit and miss depending on where you are standing relative to the subs and how you arrange the subs .... so I am not sure that the extra money will really get you much in a small room.  In fact, such a small room might well squish nearly any effort to get a good clean LF ;).

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2022, 12:46:11 AM »

While I can't argue with the concept that better subs sound better

Who'd a thunk it?!?

Yeah skip those 12" EV woofers. It was a neat little system for what it was, but it's much more geared towards "wedding dj" than bar band. The newish QSC KS112 powered sub would mop the floor vs two of those old EV SX subs. It's a 60 somthing pound box which has all it's amp and processing built in. Get one of those and the 2 SX200's and thats a good start.

Or like I said earlier. 2 Yamaha 118's, or JBL Mpro/PRX/SRX single 18's and an amp to go with them. Whatever's available. If it's an 18 in a box from a brand that is decent it'll all be pretty much the same thing. Just get whatever deal that comes along first.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Martin Morris

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2022, 01:01:11 AM »

Who'd a thunk it?!?

Yeah skip those 12" EV woofers. It was a neat little system for what it was, but it's much more geared towards "wedding dj" than bar band. The newish QSC KS112 powered sub would mop the floor vs two of those old EV SX subs.

Tim, with respect, it's a shame I'm 12,500 klms away as I'd be up for THAT shoot out.

Could definently be better with newer driver xmax etc, but wiping the floor ?.... yeah nah

Cheers
Martin
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 01:09:59 AM by Martin Morris »
Dude told me to "go back to where I came from", so I set my tent up on his front lawn ... (unnamed Indian)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2022, 10:14:31 AM »

Tim, with respect, it's a shame I'm 12,500 klms away as I'd be up for THAT shoot out.

Could definently be better with newer driver xmax etc, but wiping the floor ?.... yeah nah

Cheers
Martin

I used to have 4 of those little EV subs. I tried using them with bands even in a ballroom party type situation and they just don't cut it. Like I said, it was a neat little system, and there's nothing wrong with them, but they are not "subs" by any stretch of the imagination. I could bring one single 18 that takes up about the same floor space in the van as 2 SX122's.

At the same job we had 2 dozen SX200's, 6 SX300's and 2 SX500's, and 4 SX122's. I've got just a bit of experience with the whole lineup.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2022, 05:28:29 PM »

The 2 or 3 times I have heard the EV subs in question I was not running sound.  I can say that it was very unimpressive.  FYI, I feel the same way about the QSC K-Sub (which I have run sound on a couple of times).  Not very impressive at all.

I think I would take the bet on Tim's side ;)  I think a single one of my PRX618XLF's would sound better and put out about as much SPL.  The newer SRX818p, DXS18, or KS118 would all do even better against the EV's IMO.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2022, 05:28:29 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.