ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommend a paging system....  (Read 1908 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Recommend a paging system....
« on: January 17, 2022, 08:10:48 PM »

Ok, I've got a problem I need to solve and since my background is concert production and touring I have no idea what I'm looking for here.

I need a simple paging system that will have a wall mounted input and selector that allows a person at that panel to talk to three different rooms.

Right now I have a shure CB mic going through a rotary switch into 3 different channels on an X32, then aux outputs to the three rooms. When it works it's fine, but this X32 is used by an untrained staff, and they are always messing things up which kills the paging system. Also the rotary switch isn't working for me. And finally the Shure CB mic isn't quite as robust as I hoped it would be.

What should I be searching for? I want this to be standalone and robust and easy to use.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
Re: Recommend a paging system....
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 08:12:49 PM »

Also, if it could do 6 discrete outputs that would be cool. Not necessary, but cool. These 3 classrooms all have airwalls. Maybe someday in the future they'll split them up, but right now it's just the three.....
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 08:34:37 PM »

Seems like a easy task for a basic free wire DSP from the likes of q-sys, symmetrix, BSS, etc.  not sure if there is a dedicated box that would do this out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 08:45:54 PM »

Seems like a easy task for a basic free wire DSP from the likes of q-sys, symmetrix, BSS, etc.  not sure if there is a dedicated box that would do this out there.

Hmm. I have an under-utilized Atlas Bluebridge downstairs in the same building. And I happen to have some leftover Dante enabled ceiling speakers.....

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 08:50:53 PM »

This.  QSys even has wall stations for this type of application.

Agreed there should be zero 'stuff' to get broken or misused, a la X32.  Walk up to the wall-mounted mic, push button or touch screen virtual button, talk. 

Plus this allows for ducking background music, compression, EQ.  And if you go with something like QSys - the sky's the limit on how much you can do, with room combine, audio routing and processing, control over video and lighting, etc. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Martin Morris

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 11:56:46 PM »

Ok, I've got a problem I need to solve and since my background is concert production and touring I have no idea what I'm looking for here.

I need a simple paging system that will have a wall mounted input and selector that allows a person at that panel to talk to three different rooms.

Right now I have a shure CB mic going through a rotary switch into 3 different channels on an X32, then aux outputs to the three rooms. When it works it's fine, but this X32 is used by an untrained staff, and they are always messing things up which kills the paging system. Also the rotary switch isn't working for me. And finally the Shure CB mic isn't quite as robust as I hoped it would be.

What should I be searching for? I want this to be standalone and robust and easy to use.

If the budget is slim and they can accept used? - pick up a biamp Nexia or Audia on ebay. Set and forget - PC control setup and user friendly interface via Davinci control software. (Blank front panel DSP)

Cheers
Martin

Dude told me to "go back to where I came from", so I set my tent up on his front lawn ... (unnamed Indian)

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 06:58:18 PM »

Are you looking to send signal to only one of 3 rooms at a time, or possibly send it to a combination of rooms if necessary?

If it's just a single room, then a multi position rotary switch should get you where you need to be. No reason to feed it through the X32 then.  If you need to bump up to line level, put a single pre-amp prior to the rotary switch.

If you need to send to potentially multiple rooms at the same time, a 3 way split isn't that big of a deal. Simply split the signal and put an on/off switch for each room that you're sending the signal to after the split.

Of course, if you're looking for more controls, such as volume, EQ, ducking, etc, then things get more complicated.
Brian Jojade

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2022, 09:17:43 PM »

Are you looking to send signal to only one of 3 rooms at a time, or possibly send it to a combination of rooms if necessary?

If it's just a single room, then a multi position rotary switch should get you where you need to be. No reason to feed it through the X32 then.  If you need to bump up to line level, put a single pre-amp prior to the rotary switch.

If you need to send to potentially multiple rooms at the same time, a 3 way split isn't that big of a deal. Simply split the signal and put an on/off switch for each room that you're sending the signal to after the split.

Of course, if you're looking for more controls, such as volume, EQ, ducking, etc, then things get more complicated.

One room at a time. Right now I am using a rotary switch. It keeps going NC during the week and the users (mostly teens) don't know about doing the "contactor jiggle". Dang kids never touched a tv tuner in their lives! lol

The reason it hits the X32 is because it already exists in one of the rooms for a little stage. I just put the amps and stuff there and use the X32 to switch the signals.

I have worked out a solution I think. I will be using the Bluebridge. I will have a 4 button switchplate (bluebridge accesory) that allows each room individually or all together. I'll make these momentary switches and then I'll put in some kind of AVIO device to take the mic input. This way they'll have to hold down the button to talk to a room. Let off the button and it's muted. I can use a bulletproof 58 on a gooseneck or similar so the CB mic stops being dropped on the floor.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2022, 09:58:39 PM »

One room at a time. Right now I am using a rotary switch. It keeps going NC during the week and the users (mostly teens) don't know about doing the "contactor jiggle". Dang kids never touched a tv tuner in their lives! lol

The reason it hits the X32 is because it already exists in one of the rooms for a little stage. I just put the amps and stuff there and use the X32 to switch the signals.

I have worked out a solution I think. I will be using the Bluebridge. I will have a 4 button switchplate (bluebridge accesory) that allows each room individually or all together. I'll make these momentary switches and then I'll put in some kind of AVIO device to take the mic input. This way they'll have to hold down the button to talk to a room. Let off the button and it's muted. I can use a bulletproof 58 on a gooseneck or similar so the CB mic stops being dropped on the floor.
Make sure to double check that an AVIO will give you enough preamp gain for a 58.

Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2022, 09:58:39 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.