ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pin and sleeve..  (Read 4919 times)

Al Rettich

Pin and sleeve..
« on: January 17, 2022, 03:16:01 PM »

Looking for a bit of help. A local amphitheater is upgrading their power to a 100a three phase, from 60a single phase. City is requiring a pin and sleeve connector. I'm having an extremely hard time finding a five wire cable that will hold 100a three phase (five wire). Is that cable called a certain name?

TIA

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
Re: Pin and sleeve..
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 03:36:46 PM »

The Hubbell part number for the wall/panel mount outlet is: HBL5100R9W

Replace the "R" with "P" or "C" for the cable mount Plug (Male) and Connector (Female), respectively.  This link should give you more info.

Be sure you're sitting down when you look at the connector pricing.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 04:24:21 PM »

Looking for a bit of help. A local amphitheater is upgrading their power to a 100a three phase, from 60a single phase. City is requiring a pin and sleeve connector. I'm having an extremely hard time finding a five wire cable that will hold 100a three phase (five wire). Is that cable called a certain name?

TIA

In my experience the largest 5W single jacket cable you can get is for 60A. For 100A you need individual conductors. I have seen CEE form connectors with 5 individual cables, but I don't know if it's legal. 100A 3Ø is usually CamLok (which may be described as pin and sleeve).

Mac

Steve Crump

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 04:40:26 PM »

TIA

Try SOOW Portable cable. https://www.showmecables.com/2-awg-5-conductor-600v-stranded-conductor-soow-portable-cord-per-foot?msclkid=a3df37098e2718f62b1456ec6e5f3b6f&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=(ROI)%20Shopping%20-%20New&utm_term=4577266909614334&utm_content=Bulk%20Wire%20%26%20Cable

I posted too quickly. Without my NEC available I can't verify sizing or ratings of cables/insulation, but a search of the net indicated that the SOOW 2awg 5wire used on 3phase would not be rated for 100amps. When I am at the shop tomorrow I am going to read a little to get updated on the subject.

There are other insulation types of portable power cables that would fit, but again I would want my copy of the NEC in front of me to verify.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 10:07:56 PM by Steve Crump »

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 05:42:51 PM »

I've used 125A/240v 3ph+E CEE-form connectors wired with 4x35mm2 cable, and 125A/400V 3ph0E+N with 5x35mm2.
I believe that is 2awg in the US.
So it should be available, if it's legal per your code.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 08:17:09 PM »

There may be different power ratings on cable depending on the number of conductors.  Some sites list 2/5 cable as rated at 65 amps, others say it's rated at 120 amps.

I did find one site that has 1/5 Type W cable at the shocking price of $20.75/ft and 3lbs per foot.  I do NOT want to be the roadie responsible for dragging that mess around!

I personally have a 60' chunk of 2/4 that I use for 100 amp service with camlocks on it.  That's a beast in itself to move around.

Generally, at that point, we move into the big boy stuff which is single conductor cables with camlock connectors.

https://www.wireandcableyourway.com/1-awg-5c-type-w-portable-power-cable

Generally speaking, most distros for travel rigs will be set up for 50/60 amp connectors, with the California connector being very common.  Easy and reasonably sized.

If they won't allow camlok connectors for the larger gauges, then you'll be looking at things like this Eaton connector.

https://www.homelectrical.com/100-amp-pin-and-sleeve-plug-4-pole-5-wire-208v-blue.etw-ah5100p9w.1.html

Stupid expensive, but less prone to idiots connecting things incorrectly like you may have with Cams.  If they are putting that connector in, make sure they also are providing for a sub panel to adapt to other types of connectors. 

Brian Jojade

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 09:37:12 PM »

Stupid expensive, but less prone to idiots connecting things incorrectly like you may have with Cams.  If they are putting that connector in, make sure they also are providing for a sub panel to adapt to other types of connectors.

And one of those will need to be.... CAMS.

I think I know why governments and institutions like CEE form (and it's not a bad reason) - it puts all the liability on the user side of the outlet.  The reality is the vast majority of Production Providers You've NOT Heard Of do not use CEE forms and will have no way to directly utilize the outlet.  The Big Kids of the production world - those that have multi-jurisdictional operations - have been using these for 20 years.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2022, 04:10:42 AM »

***SNIP***

I personally have a 60' chunk of 2/4 that I use for 100 amp service with camlocks on it.  That's a beast in itself to move around.

***SNIP***

If they won't allow camlok connectors for the larger gauges, then you'll be looking at things like this Eaton connector.

https://www.homelectrical.com/100-amp-pin-and-sleeve-plug-4-pole-5-wire-208v-blue.etw-ah5100p9w.1.html

Couple things, multi-conductor SO cable with the outer jacket stripped away no longer meets NFPA 70, so you really aren't supposed to use cams on that stuff.

Those P&S connectors are big $$$ indeed. On the upside, they are keyed differently for each voltage option and they are IP67. They are way easier to plug in than twist lock devices, as well. We installed a bunch for outdoor generator inlets over the summer and I was impressed with the build quality and ease of use. The price made me blush.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Daniel Levi

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2022, 04:39:11 AM »

Couple things, multi-conductor SO cable with the outer jacket stripped away no longer meets NFPA 70, so you really aren't supposed to use cams on that stuff.

Those P&S connectors are big $$$ indeed. On the upside, they are keyed differently for each voltage option and they are IP67. They are way easier to plug in than twist lock devices, as well. We installed a bunch for outdoor generator inlets over the summer and I was impressed with the build quality and ease of use. The price made me blush.

Note only the IEC P+S connectors (IEC60309) that have a locking ring are IP67, the ones with no locking ring are only IP44 rated, though when mounted downwards it's not a huge issue, and the IP44 230V 16/32A variants are what you'll find powering caravans over here outside in all weathers.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2022, 01:59:39 PM »

Note only the IEC P+S connectors (IEC60309) that have a locking ring are IP67, the ones with no locking ring are only IP44 rated, though when mounted downwards it's not a huge issue, and the IP44 230V 16/32A variants are what you'll find powering caravans over here outside in all weathers.

Ahh, I didn't realize there was another version. We were installing 60A 3ø 480v backup generator inlets for submersible pumps on lift stations.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California

Daniel Levi

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2022, 04:06:54 PM »

Ahh, I didn't realize there was another version. We were installing 60A 3ø 480v backup generator inlets for submersible pumps on lift stations.

As I understand there is the original US P+S connectors and the newer IEC P+S connectors which are identical to the industrial connectors used pretty much everywhere else and is what is reccommened for new installations.

Mark Phillips

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2022, 05:54:12 PM »

I have encountered quite a few of these at various PAC and venues and have both configurations (orange single phase, blue 3 phase) in my inventory. I get the AHJ’s ok every time, Hubbell is the dominant brand in my area, Appleton is another company, they are in the 200 amp range. Here is a link for what you are describing on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hubbell-5100P9W-And-Cam-6-5-Pin-100A-Phase-3-2AWG-to-Camlok-Tie-N-/384676286006?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=706-127636-26712-0

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2022, 06:52:31 PM »

SHHHH!! Don't tell anyone around here that!! LOL

The 'inspectors' around here have no clue and don't seem to care much, so we can get away with stuff that may not exactly be up to national code.

Yeah, I know it's not really a valid excuse, but it's one of those things where the safety level is far and above what many others get away with.  One of those weird rules that doesn't make as much sense. 4 separate conductors are ok, but bundle them together for the majority of the run and now a foot of separate conductor becomes dangerous.  I'll take that risk. :)
Brian Jojade

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2022, 02:54:57 PM »

While it's certainly worth it to pay for quality, I can't help but wonder if some of the price is due to "the people spec'ing it aren't paying the bill so don't care about price, and the people paying the bill don't know what they're buying but the engineer says we need it".
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Daniel Levi

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2022, 05:17:51 PM »

While it's certainly worth it to pay for quality, I can't help but wonder if some of the price is due to "the people spec'ing it aren't paying the bill so don't care about price, and the people paying the bill don't know what they're buying but the engineer says we need it".
I guess it could be supply and demand, the vastly more popular/used lower amperage connectors over here (i.e. 230V 16A) can be had for ~£5.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2022, 12:23:53 AM »

SHHHH!! Don't tell anyone around here that!! LOL

The 'inspectors' around here have no clue and don't seem to care much, so we can get away with stuff that may not exactly be up to national code.

Yeah, I know it's not really a valid excuse, but it's one of those things where the safety level is far and above what many others get away with.  One of those weird rules that doesn't make as much sense. 4 separate conductors are ok, but bundle them together for the majority of the run and now a foot of separate conductor becomes dangerous.  I'll take that risk. :)

I think it has more to do with the outer black armor being stripped away.

Meanwhile, in my internet ramblings I found this info on a website that occasionally has some useful knowledge to share:

https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=139311.0

I think the P&S connectors are an even safer design.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California

Benjamin Krumholz

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2022, 12:55:09 PM »

I'm having an extremely hard time finding a five wire cable that will hold 100a three phase (five wire). Is that cable called a certain name?

TIA

Carolprene® Jacketed Type SOOW, Non-UL

https://www.cesco.com/resources/pdf_9E3/102463-AttachmentURL.pdf

if you NEED 100A rated you will need to go to the 2000V series not the 600V series..

We use the 600v 4/5 Cable is only rated to 80 amps. And have plenty in stock if you need..

The cable we use is P-7k-123033-MSHA.. But if you want to put cams on it you are probably best just getting #2 cable and doing seperate cable for each lead.

Brian Hancock

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2022, 01:57:56 PM »

Just saw this post while browsing by and thought I would comment because of what an un-named venue "operations mgr" told me recently.  Told him we have the 60a adaptor with cam tails for a 3 phase service and he looked super surprised.  He said yeah we put those in a few years back so no one would use them forcing shows the bring in temporary power?!? Basically what was said above. The local jurisdiction didn't want the liability so they make it as hard as possible for anyone to connect, requiring a locally licensed electrician to make the connection etc. etc. Etc.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2022, 05:33:41 AM »

Back in the late 90's I had to strip 5 conductors of 4/0 in a cable and put a 5 conductor pin and sleeve connector on. It was an amphenol cast metal connector. I sat in a chair and brought my lunch. Its not so bad. I remember it better than other things I did. Would I do it again ? I'm retired !

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2022, 05:33:41 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 25 queries.