Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > The Basement

Completely OT - RC Tank Build

<< < (4/4)

Frank Koenig:

--- Quote from: Dave Garoutte on April 29, 2022, 07:26:52 PM ---Using delrin for chain tensioners is not very effective.  It's too hard and wears too quickly.  UHMW is a softer but very wear resistant plastic, and much better for this application (cheaper too).  I used it on my road race motorcycle and it would last for several seasons.
--- End quote ---

Dave, that's useful guidance for me. We used a lot of Delrin (and Turcite) where I used to work building instrumentation for semiconductor manufacturing. UHMW polyethylene wasn't a thing back then but I've become a big fan of it for my hobby projects of late. I use it for slides and feet on all sorts of things. It's relatively cheap, wears really well, machines without a fight, and has the right amount of friction against, say, wood floors. McMaster has it in many shapes and sizes.

--Frank

Dave Garoutte:

--- Quote from: Frank Koenig on April 30, 2022, 11:27:55 AM ---Dave, that's useful guidance for me. We used a lot of Delrin (and Turcite) where I used to work building instrumentation for semiconductor manufacturing. UHMW polyethylene wasn't a thing back then but I've become a big fan of it for my hobby projects of late. I use it for slides and feet on all sorts of things. It's relatively cheap, wears really well, machines without a fight, and has the right amount of friction against, say, wood floors. McMaster has it in many shapes and sizes.

--Frank

--- End quote ---
Don't get me wrong, I do like delrin for machining purposes, but it's not the right material for everything.
Interestingly, we started making motorcycle crash bumpers from delrin, until we found out two things.
1: It's brittle in shock loads, so would fracture on certain impacts. :o
2: It burns with a nearly invisible flame and drips flaming plastic. :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version