ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pairing a Nexo DTD-T processor with non Nexo speakers  (Read 1374 times)

Jeremy Spoken

Pairing a Nexo DTD-T processor with non Nexo speakers
« on: January 14, 2022, 05:13:48 AM »

Hi everyone! ;)

I would like to know if someone has experience or knowledge of using this controller/processor  with speakers other than nexo? The idea would be to benefit from the nexo in-house speaker protection system + real time adaptive response for the speakers connected through the amp.

From what info I have gathered, there are of course pre-existing nexo speaker profiles and presets already setup in the unit, but can one user set his/her own presets with their own speakers?

here is the audio setup I had in mind:
1) Top speakers : 2x HK Audio Linear 5 - L5 115F (passive 8Ω 600W RMS)
2) Subs : 2x Linear 5 - L Sub 1200 (passive 8Ω 600W RMS)
3) Amp : Nexo DTDAMP 4x1.3C,  4 x 750 W in 8Ω
4) Controler/Processor : Nexo DTD-TU

Thanks

MikeHarris

Re: Pairing a Nexo DTD-T processor with non Nexo speakers
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 06:46:35 AM »

note...you must use your real name
this thread will be locked

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 07:54:33 AM »

Read the rules, fix your display name.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Jeremy Spoken

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 01:38:03 PM »

sorry for name! It's fixed now :)

Back to the subject at hand

Jeremy Spoken

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2022, 07:27:51 AM »

no one?

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2022, 09:24:41 AM »

no one?

Could you provide a reference where you found that it can be used with other-than-Nexo speaker systems please?

I admit, I've only had a quick review of the DTD manual and Dory "5 Step" intro document, but neither of those sources seem to allow it.

For example, the first 3 sentences in the Introduction of the DTD manual:

Quote from: NEXO DTD user manual
Welcome to the DTD controller manual. Please take some time to
read it and learn how to set up the device.

The DTD (Digital Temperature and Displacement) controller is a
loudspeaker controller dedicated to Nexo speakers.

It performs as a Nexo speaker system crossover, and provides
equalization, phase alignment and protection (by controlling the
speaker voice coil temperature and the cone displacement).

The block diagram later in the same document appears to suggest that the crossover and alignment settings are not user accessible.
Similarly, the software guide only refers to choosing presets, not creating new crossover settings from scratch.

Even if you could enter dedicated crossover & alignment parameters, you still wouldn't get the benefit of the sense functions, as the processor wouldn't know anything about the non-Nexo speakers, so that whole aspect of it's performance would be unavailable to you.

HTH,
David.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2022, 07:51:10 PM »

{...} The idea would be to benefit from the nexo in-house speaker protection system + real time adaptive response for the speakers connected through the amp. {...}

{...} Even if you could enter dedicated crossover & alignment parameters, you still wouldn't get the benefit of the sense functions, as the processor wouldn't know anything about the non-Nexo speakers, so that whole aspect of it's performance would be unavailable to you.

This, to be honest. The amount of measurement and calibration required to make a speaker processor's "sense" function useful goes beyond simple crossover and limiter settings. No two speakers function exactly the same way, so it's entirely possible that the "speaker protection system + real time adaptive response" that works for a PS15 would happily cause your speakers to sound terrible (or self-destruct).

With the possible exception of some modern DSP amps, I don't know of any manufacturer-agnostic speaker processor that includes sense functionality (or, put another way, I don't know of any speaker processor with a sense function that can be configured to work with third-party speakers).

-Russ

Tim Verhoeven

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 04:15:30 AM »

I would like to know if someone has experience or knowledge of using this controller/processor  with speakers other than nexo? The idea would be to benefit from the nexo in-house speaker protection system + real time adaptive response for the speakers connected through the amp.

From what info I have gathered, there are of course pre-existing nexo speaker profiles and presets already setup in the unit, but can one user set his/her own presets with their own speakers?

here is the audio setup I had in mind:
1) Top speakers : 2x HK Audio Linear 5 - L5 115F (passive 8Ω 600W RMS)
2) Subs : 2x Linear 5 - L Sub 1200 (passive 8Ω 600W RMS)
3) Amp : Nexo DTDAMP 4x1.3C,  4 x 750 W in 8Ω
4) Controler/Processor : Nexo DTD-TU

Very short answer: no!

Longer answer: I've checked in Dory itself, you can configure a "flat" standard speaker and a standard sub. But for both you cannot setup any specific protection settings, no crossover point, and no output EQ. You can set and EQ in the input, and a delay and standard compressor on the output.

So no, you would not get any protection from using the DTD with none-NEXO brand speakers.

Jeremy Spoken

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2022, 10:04:47 AM »

Thanks everyone.

Thank you @tim as i had read the same thing about Dory and was wondering if tailoring in user specific speaker setting was a go or not go... The answer is no and "flat" standard speakers profile offers no protection. thank you!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2022, 10:04:47 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 20 queries.